Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike commuting has been featured a lot in the mainstream media lately but we know it's on everyone's radar when it hits the Today Show:

http://www.vabike.org/today-show-bike-use-soars-with-gas-prices/

Now that we have everyone's ear, the time is ripe for bike advocates to deliver our message. Let’s get busy, whether we're working nationally, statewide, locally, or person to person.

· Registered
735 Posts
"Some people can get too work faster on bicycles than in cars or in mass transit."

That is the case with my commute. Why would I get on a city bus this time of year when I can leave any time I want and get there faster? More bikes on the road is a good thing- thanks for the post..................MTT :thumbsup:

· Registered
372 Posts
I have noticed a lot more cyclists commuting to work, which is quite extraordinary given that Pittsburgh is car focused city. I live in the suburbs, but I'm surprised how far people are commuting due to the generic bike they are using.

· Done
4,591 Posts
There Has Been A Big Uptick....

I work in downtown Washington DC (aka "Ground Zero"), and I've seen a big uptick in the number of bikes showing up at our building. In fact, our bike rack is now over its capacity on most days, and we are negotiating with the landlord for more racks (not c()de). Their response is that they are actually looking at it due to a bill that has been introduced to require more bike spots per number of car parking spots in our garage. My only fears are (1) they are going to try to slow roll it to see if the problem won't just go away, or (2) if they have to add bike spots, they will stick the rack outside the building.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Greg - I was in DC yesterday, doing the touron thing with the wife and kidlet #1. We parked under the Holiday Inn at 6th and Maryland (2 blocks up the Independence Ave side of the A&S museum), and the bike rack in there was beyond capacity. The cost of gas has done nothing to get the people out here in the burbs to stop using their cars. Well, maybe not entirely.... I think I've noticed more people on the MUT recently. But that could be the fact that it's Spring, as much as the cost of gas.

· Done
4,591 Posts
I used to work over in that neighborhood...

JohnnyTooBad said:
Greg - I was in DC yesterday, doing the touron thing with the wife and kidlet #1. We parked under the Holiday Inn at 6th and Maryland (2 blocks up the Independence Ave side of the A&S museum), and the bike rack in there was beyond capacity. The cost of gas has done nothing to get the people out here in the burbs to stop using their cars. Well, maybe not entirely.... I think I've noticed more people on the MUT recently. But that could be the fact that it's Spring, as much as the cost of gas.
Hope that you guys had fun! The nice weather always brings out folks on the trail, commuters or not. I know that we do have more folks showing up at work on their bikes because in addition to the parking deal the competition to use the two showers that they have installed here at work has become somewhat intense. Several co-workers have also announced recent bike purchases with the intention of doing the commuter thing. Mixed emotions on this one - it is great that more people are riding, but the increased competition for limited resources (parking and showers) is a bit annoying. They will probably fix the parking, but we're hosed about doing anything to add showers. I know - I should be happy that we have showers.

· The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
undies said:
Why do so many Americans increasingly hate America?
Please expand or expound or pontificate on this further please.
More people bicycle commuting either due to financial constraints or due to health concerns or due to environmental concerns or due to other concerns should not in and of themselves imply that Americans hate America.
Maybe I turned left when I should have turned right in the thread.:idea:

· Registered
1,895 Posts
Gregory Taylor said:
...They will probably fix the parking, but we're hosed about doing anything to add showers. I know - I should be happy that we have showers.
REAL commuters don't need no stinkin' showers. Ummm....maybe I should rephrase that.

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
I commute daily here in Orange County and this past month I have seen more people on bikes than I saw in all the months leading up to it.

I like to think that people in cars drive by and see my chunky butt up on a bike pedaling to work and think "Well if he can do it, I can do it."

The more cyclists on the road, the more people will be inspired, especially in areas like this where I live where people live in crummy ghetto apartments so they can drive Beamers and Hummers, and the thought of riding a bike probably doesn't even cross peoples minds.

joe

· Registered
2,342 Posts
treebound said:
Please expand or expound or pontificate on this further please.
More people bicycle commuting either due to financial constraints or due to health concerns or due to environmental concerns or due to other concerns should not in and of themselves imply that Americans hate America.
Maybe I turned left when I should have turned right in the thread.:idea:
it's a joke. you insert the name or characterization of a person or group of people that aren't necessarily behaving like flag waving, mindlessly consuming, overweight, oil hoarding nationalists into the question of why they hate America. I think Jon Stewart might have started it, it's been around awhile.

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Under the new RBR terms of service, humorous posts are prohibited. Seriously.

I'm doing my part. Are you?

Wait, wait, wait.... but can we still finger hummers?

joe

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Finger hummers? Those don't sound like much fun.

Don't knock it till ya try it.

joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.