Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the day off, and wouldn't you know that the weather in DC was a perfect 60 degrees with blue skys.

Nate posted pics of Kensington recently and inspired me to ride up that way. So today was the day.

These pics: JFK Arts Center and Watergate along the P River. Interesting to think that actions that took place there would bring down a President; the P River view from my bike.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Getting up into MD along the Canal Trail

Well after riding up the Canal Trail from DC into MD I made it to Chevy Chase, Md.

As I was following the trail, I didn't realize it turned into gravel. I was about to turn around because I didn't want to muck up the bike - but I decided that was a bit dumb so off I went.

Pic:

1. Chevy Chase, MD

2. Bianchi Pista Concept Rear. My wife says it hardly looks like there is anything to the bike from behind. This pic was taken inside a tunnel around Chevy Chase, MD.

3. Tunnel at CC, MD.

4. Riding along the gravel trails in MD. Not really sure where this will lead, I didn't have a map, but I knew where I wanted to go...

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Made it to Kensington, MD

and I finally made it to Kensington, MD after a bit of trial and error - wrong turns and such.

These Pics:

Bridge Overlook along trail - somewhere in MD.

DC LDS (Mormon) Temple.

All in all - it was a great ride. I debated what bike to ride - the 20 speed road bike or my fixed. I opted for the fixed.

Hope you enjoyed, Cheers.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Good stuff

It's nice to see so many people posting ride reports with pics. Good stuff, the weather was amazing today and I was stuck inside with a bunch of 9th graders with attitude ;) . Did get out and play with my dog when I got home though.
Love your bike,

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Chase15.5 said:
Bridge Overlook along trail - somewhere in MD.
Nice pictures! I wanted to ride but decided that I wanted to hang out with my family even more today. Chances are I would have ridden right through the same intersection before you came to the bridge.

Just for a frame of reference, that bridge is over Rock Creek. If you had gone south at the last road before it, Jones Mill Rd, you would have ended up on Beach Drive heading into DC.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...38.997725,-77.06229&spn=0.010906,0.022681&t=h

That part of the trail is considered the Georgetown Branch Trail, which is basically the unpaved portion of the Capital Crescent Trail and ends in Silver Spring (purple trail on map):
http://www.cctrail.org/CCT_Maps.htm

As MB1 showed some of us RBRers in November, there are plenty of places you can go from there.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Nate - I remember now seeing the Georgetown Branch Trail signs all over the place. I ended up riding around Capital View Ave, Forrest Glen Park etc before I got the Temple as a frame of reference.

I had wanted to meet up with you guys in November to ride - but I had knee surgery just a few days before the ride to remove screws...wasn't up for riding.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[QUOTELove your bike,[/QUOTE]
Thanks - I built it up over the Christmas holidays. I ride it more than my regular road bike now.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Miss M and I do an in town explore ride every Saturday morning.

You are welcome to join us. Start at 7, finish by 11 so I can get to the bike shop by noon.

After a few of those you will never be lost in DC again.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MB1 said:
You are welcome to join us. Start at 7, finish by 11 so I can get to the bike shop by noon.

After a few of those you will never be lost in DC again.
Thanks MB1, I'd like to take you up on that soon. I'll be out of town until the first week of March, but anytime after that I'm free. Just let me know where to link up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.