Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
half-fast
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I set out looking to go see a dam on the Susquehanna river, but one of the roads was closed. So I went with plan B - go ride for a while. I decided to go to Newark, Delaware, home of the University of Delaware, and have lunch.

On the way I went down hard in a ditch and broke my fall with my face.

After I got myself together (and most of the stuff that flew out of the handlebar bag), I fixed the bike enough to ride the rest of the 50 miles.

Not a bad adventure. New shoes, second ride with platform pedals (I don't think I'm going back to clipless. Simple is good), a covered bridge, barns, a crash, takin pix of an old job for the portfolio, pizza, honey crisp apples, and on the way home some gal whacks me with her mirror.

Good times.

The first 3 pix are from the night before, part of the shakedown cruise of the clipless-less revolution.

·
Bamboozled by love...
417 Posts
My old grounds...

I always like your reports -- I lived in Oxford for about 11 years (just moved back east to West Chester last summer).

This covered bridge is such a nice spot -- and the hill on the south side (like in the photo) is great for working on sprinting up short, steep stuff (though it never looks that steep in a photo)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I need to remember to bring my camera on rides. Although there isn't much out here in Utah, just a bunch of desert and sage brush. sunsets are nice though. 'specially aroung the Great Salt Lake. The mountains are too.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
I hope you're feeling well and it is nothing too serious.

Nice pics, thanks for posting. Good times at the Deer Park, Klondike Kate's, I hear the Deer Park isn't quite the same since they exterminated the vermin. I used to live on Lewisville-Strickersville Rd when I worked for the University.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ouch! If you`d had cleats on your shoes, you could have applied a little thank-you note to the paint under door under the mirror that whacked you. Hope you find a new hat soon.

Also, I`m glad to see I`m not the only nerd who rides with a suitcase sized bag. I just don`t understand how people manage without somewhere to stash a sweatshirt, lunch, etc.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Nice report.

·
half-fast
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rodar y rodar said:
...Also, I`m glad to see I`m not the only nerd who rides with a suitcase sized bag. I just don`t understand how people manage without somewhere to stash a sweatshirt, lunch, etc.
That giant bag wasn't big enough for all the apples I bought (giant huge monster softball sized honey crisp apples. not too many left here, either). I had to eat one of them and tie a plastic bag to the top of teh bag to make 'em all fit.

The nerdy bag comes in handy pretty regularly.

·
just ride your bike
518 Posts
I sure miss living in Newark. I used to love to ride out to the orchard for their apple cider donuts. Holy cow; I could eat infinity of those. My only gripe - Margherita's Pizza >> Peace A Pizza :D

Thanks for the pics; I hope to find myself back there someday, if the career allows.

·
just ride your bike
518 Posts
10ae1203 said:
mmm. cider donuts. mmm.
There's nothing quite like walking into the Milburn Orchards bake shop in the fall when a fresh batch of apple cider donuts has just come out of the oven. I highly recommend a return trip. If you don't know already, Woodside Farm Creamery on Little Baltimore Road in Hockessin makes some killer ice cream; it's a nice mid-ride refuel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts