Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my son the Little DeViL participated on his first road bike kids league race. We're primarly mountainbikers but he wants to give road biking a try so he signed on for the local cycling federation kids league.

They will have 10 races, 5 road and 5 track. He plans to attend to as many as he can combining with the mountain bike kids program. Hopefully he'll be able to race on the 3 venues.

Pics from today

He'll receive a RBR jersey and pant so for the next event he'll proudly wear RBR's colors.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Good for him! Good pics, too. And that pic #3. What a bunch of gnarly lookin' dudes.

·
Armchair Director Sportif
134 Posts
Cool Dad ...

DD,

Keep those cool pictures coming (both road and dirt).

Being a parent with cycling fanatic kids is the best thing in the world. Even though I didn't have time to take the kiddos to the local trails before work today, we still explored the adjoining neighborhoods for some Dad and daughters time.

This upcoming weekend, the local MTB club is having a family day and my two girls are already marking the days off on the calendar.

STinGa

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Wow--looks pretty serious with only maybe one flat-bar bike on the starting grid/line. Glad to see you're supporting your kid's interest in the sport. He didn't look too chuffed to be on the "podium," though--need to work on the "basking in the adulation of the crowd" part a little more.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr. Versatile said:
And that pic #3. What a bunch of gnarly lookin' dudes.
The first three from the botton were on the same class (8-10), mine was first out of the line but was passed at the end of the climb and was never able to catch up.

We have been working on his starts and he showed improvement, now he needs to focus on gear selection but with time he'll get it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bignose said:
how far / long to the little buggers race ? I love his jersey btw...

this kind of stuff is great to see
Pepe has been racing on the mtb side for 3 seasons, he has won his group championship 2 of the 3 times. Last year he broke a leg around mid season and ended 4th in points.

This year he wanted to try road and track with the occassional mtb race. His age group does 1 lap around a ~1 mile course, it lasts about 5 minutes but he found how grouling those 5 minutes really are.

I just love to see him in action in whatever discipline he chooses, so far he's in love with mtb with road very close.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
STinGa said:
DD,

Keep those cool pictures coming (both road and dirt).

Being a parent with cycling fanatic kids is the best thing in the world. Even though I didn't have time to take the kiddos to the local trails before work today, we still explored the adjoining neighborhoods for some Dad and daughters time.

This upcoming weekend, the local MTB club is having a family day and my two girls are already marking the days off on the calendar.

STinGa
I will, you'll see more proud dad posts here and in mtbr.

It's great when you can share your passion with your kids, in my case only my boy loves cycling; the girls don't even know how to ride a bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bikeboy389 said:
Wow--looks pretty serious with only maybe one flat-bar bike on the starting grid/line. Glad to see you're supporting your kid's interest in the sport. He didn't look too chuffed to be on the "podium," though--need to work on the "basking in the adulation of the crowd" part a little more.
I talked to him when I saw the pics about it, he was tired and wanted to go home but hopefully will get better at that with time.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Speedy

Great to see that he (and you) had a good time. Enjoy it now because if he keeps with it he will be kicking your butt. My moment was last summer when my son was finally able to beat me in races on a fairly regular basis. It was still close between us but he can wind up a sprint way better than me. He has over 2,000 miles this season all ready and I have given up all hopes of beating him this year although I do plan to spend a bit of time sitting on his wheel and enjoying his draft. Based on my experience grooming a junior racer is to keep it fun. Also focus on developing a quick cadence which helps when junior gear restrictions come into play.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts