Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Toe cage pedals

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Trevo 
#1 ·
I have a series of questions about Toe cage type pedals.
1) What kind of shoes did people back in the day use with these? When people race professional track and use toeclips what kind of shoes do they use today?
2) Why do some current track racers use toe cages? I've seen current pictures, I was under the impression that clip-in pedals were the best for power transfer.
3) How do double straps work?Are they stronger?
4) Whats better for riding brakeless fixed gear with any kind of shoe? Dura Ace Style caged pedals, or double cages, like the winwoods or Suginos?

Thanks for the imput

#2 ·
Trevo said:
I have a series of questions about Toe cage type pedals.
1) What kind of shoes did people back in the day use with these? When people race professional track and use toeclips what kind of shoes do they use today?
2) Why do some current track racers use toe cages? I've seen current pictures, I was under the impression that clip-in pedals were the best for power transfer.
3) How do double straps work?Are they stronger?
4) Whats better for riding brakeless fixed gear with any kind of shoe? Dura Ace Style caged pedals, or double cages, like the winwoods or Suginos?

Thanks for the imput
Well, people still ride track using traditional cleats, straps and toes cages. Before all the molded soles and inserts, the list would include detto Pietro, Adidas, Vittoria, Duegi, Sidi, etc. Generally only the sprint, kilo and Olympic sprint riders still use traditional cleats, caged pedals, etc. For a lot of the other events, people have gone to clip-in designs. The Shimano PD 7700's quite popular in Europe where there's still a fair amount of track riding. Even then, some people do use a toe strap for retention.

Correct, confidence in not coming out is what counts, again, particularly in the sudden application of power events like the kilo and sprint.

There are people who use double straps and then there are straps which have a single wider width combined with two strap and buckles. These are specialty items specifically for track riding. Again, it's all about retention.

Personal choice. I see a lot of bike messenger's riding two sided pedals, primarily the result of needed shoes to walk around when making deliveries. I've seen a few with egg beaters as well. Riding's not the issue, it's getting in, not getting out that takes time to get acclimatized.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.