Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people think of strapless toe clips? I know that's a funny question, but I've always been horrible about getting my feet out of toe clips with straps on them, and so, after having fallen over at a complete stop waiting at an intersection to laughs all around, have taken to removing the straps anyway. I've now seen you can actually buy such crazy things as strapless toe clips and have been wondering what people thought. The good folks at Harris Cyclery actually describe them on their site saying something like, "I can't imagine why people would want these silly things..."

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dennis Rex said:
What do people think of strapless toe clips? I know that's a funny question, but I've always been horrible about getting my feet out of toe clips with straps on them, and so, after having fallen over at a complete stop waiting at an intersection to laughs all around, have taken to removing the straps anyway. I've now seen you can actually buy such crazy things as strapless toe clips and have been wondering what people thought. The good folks at Harris Cyclery actually describe them on their site saying something like, "I can't imagine why people would want these silly things..."
I question there holding ability.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
They work better then flats, but not much. Can't really pull back on them (or up to much). Great for pushing foward and down though. I like em on a grocery bike with a freewheel, but use foot pressure (pulling up) to much for speed conrol to use em on a fixie. Loose straps with cagessmaller then recommended is more secure, but doesn't eat up your foot. There are always power straps as well...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why do double straps cost so darn much??

mr_e said:
They work better then flats, but not much. Can't really pull back on them (or up to much). Great for pushing foward and down though. I like em on a grocery bike with a freewheel, but use foot pressure (pulling up) to much for speed conrol to use em on a fixie. Loose straps with cagessmaller then recommended is more secure, but doesn't eat up your foot. There are always power straps as well...
I mean, there not that complicated, how can double toe straps cost so much?

http://www.businesscycles.com/trcomp.htm#straps

·
Registered
77 Posts
Those are top drawer, race level, NJS certified straps. Laminated leather made in Japan for Kerin racing. Regular nylon straps from MKS, Zefel etc. are much less expensive (think in the $5-$15 range). Most folks run single straps, or double up on singles rather then spend the $$$ on doubles. If I was a track sprinter, I might go for the spendy stuff (or Speedplay track pedals...), but for a guy on a budget, the cheaper straps (some with NJS buckles) are much less expensive at the LBS.

·
Registered
77 Posts
depends on pedals

Some pedals have big enough holes where you can run two straps through. On MTB stsyle toe clips, you can also run one strap through each of the holes on the clip with each strap around the pedal/cage. No real wrong way to do it, its an improve anyway. As long as the buckle or strap doesn't hang up on the spindle or crank, you should be good. I've not had trouble with a single strap myself, but I usually ride clipless. That said, doubles did give me more support when applying pressure up in skids. Most double track straps have one strap run through the pedal/clip holes, and one run through either the front set of holes in the pedal and over the clip (if the pedal has a second set) or under the pedal body and over the clip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.