Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have never looked at it from that point of view. The cleat would be positioned to have the widest part of the foot over the axle. The toe clip needs to be big enough to not cramp the shoe or too big that there is excessive space. The toe strap is not adjustable fore/aft so it hits your shoe where it hits dependent on the cleat placement and size of the toe clip.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I have never looked at it from that point of view. The cleat would be positioned to have the widest part of the foot over the axle. The toe clip needs to be big enough to not cramp the shoe or too big that there is excessive space. The toe strap is not adjustable fore/aft so it hits your shoe where it hits dependent on the cleat placement and size of the toe clip.
Well spoken.

I'd still be riding toe clips and straps on my mountain bike if they made toe clips with a toe box large enough to fit a REAL shoe.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Fit correctly. Where should the strap cross the foot?
Where it's comfortable for you, not causing pain or numbness. That varies with the shape of your foot, and the configuration of your shoes. And as Peter noted, the only way to vary it (assuming good foot placement on the pedal) is with the size of the clip. They don't come in a great range of sizes, so there's not a lot to play with.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Fit correctly. Where should the strap cross the foot?
The strap should be crossing the top of the shoe about 2/3rds up from the toe box. The clip places the strap right above the slot on the pedal cage where it threads in, providing the tightest fit. The strap tightens straight down over the cleat, not at an angle. Those feet don't go nowhere. Japanese Keirin racers still use 'em.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
this is one question I've never seen before.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
this is one question I've never seen before.
Which leads me to ask: Mackgoo, are the tops of your feet being hurt by the toe straps?

All toe clip sizes put the strap in the same place, over the cleat/pedal spindle.

If the strap hurts the top of the foot down towards the front, the foot is probably not far enough forward over the pedal spindle and rider is pedaling "on his toes." The toes will hurt most.

If the clip where it loops around the strap is sticking into the back of the foot, which would be rare, the foot would have to be too far forward in a clip sized for larger feet. The ball of the foot would be well in front of the pedal spindle, upsetting good alignment of leg muscles. The clip/strap will hit the back of the foot on each pedal stroke. This happened to me once when I had the shoes too far forward.

IOW if the ball of the foot is within a mm or two of dead over the pedal spindle, the strap won't hurt.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I ask is I just built up an older bike and for now I'm using the cages that came with the pedals. The strap crosses where the bow is of the tied laces. Personally this doesn't seem right but, I don't know, this is why I ask. Everything fit correctly where would you expect the strap to cross the foot.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
The reason I ask is I just built up an older bike and for now I'm using the cages that came with the pedals. The strap crosses where the bow is of the tied laces. Personally this doesn't seem right but, I don't know, this is why I ask. Everything fit correctly where would you expect the strap to cross the foot.
That's a problem, crushing the shoe laces under the strap. I'v successfully tied the shoelaces slightly off center, so they fit just outside the strap.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
The strap crosses where the bow is of the tied laces...Everything fit correctly...
one of those statements doesn't jive.

my straps are well in front of the lace bow by a couple inches.

i also tuck the extra laces and bow in my shoe.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
this is what you want. the ball of the foot is on the pedal and the strap is just behind.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Very nice!

Notice in the bottom pix, strap isn't tucked into the slot on buckle and there's a little button on the end? The rider can grab that button with his thumb and fore finger and tighten the strap by pulling up, easily done in a sitting position, without losing balance. When unstrapping, rider can simply push down the buckle, no need to pull the end out of the retainer first.

Tucking the strap in requires bending lower. Starting up from a dead stop, that requires a more complex athletic routine to keep the bike balanced and going straight. Always a problem when in a group.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts