Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is toe overlap a common thing for road bikes?

With my pedal and crank arm at 3 o'clock position, if I turn the wheel sideways (as making slight turn in the street) my shoe overlaps and bangs against the front wheel. Since I wanted to use the same shoe for both my mtn bikes and road bike, I put on Time ATAC XE mtn pedals. I tried taking the clip out and moving it as far forward as possible, and it still bangs against the wheel. I'm not sure what length is my FSA Gossamer compact crank arm is (I think it measured 6.8" inches), but not sure even 5mm is going to make much difference. Is moving the road shoes and road pedals going to make a difference, or am I screwed due to the current Front to Center length of 57.4cm?

I'm 5'8" with 75cm (29.5 ") inseam. I have a size Medium (54.0 TT) 05 Litespeed Teramo. I wear size 10 shoes. Other than the toe overlap issue, the bike seem to fit me really well.

My local bike shop didnt have Teramo in stock so I wasn't able to catch this issue before buying the bike from a shop opposite coast from me. I did test ride Firenze which I don't recall having this issue.

I'm attaching a pic. Even though the pedal is not at 3 o'clock position, you can tell that there isn't much space between the pedals and front wheel.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Pretty common, almost never a problem.

I rode my old Motobecane for five years, and I didn't know it had overlap until I gave it away and the new owner asked me if I ever fell because my foot hit the front wheel. My present bikes (Atlantis and Rambouillet) don't overlap, but several of my previous ones have. It's never caused a problem. Generally when you're riding, you don't turn the wheel more than a few degrees from straight ahead. I really wouldn't worry about it.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
It only matters in the parkinglot.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Two thoughts.

If you do make a lot of U-turns on narrow streets, drop the heel of your overlapping foot as far down as you can. This will move your toe back enough to clear the front tire of almost all bicycles.

A more elegant solution is to coast through tight U-turns. With a bit of practice, you'll quickly learn exactly how much speed you need to carry into the turn to coast all the way around and still stay on the pavement (or not hit the curb in a more urban environment).

Edit - I saw in your other post that you're indeed very concerned about toe overlap. As others have said, it's really not an issue. Almost all racing bikes it to some degree - and for almost all riders, toe overlap disappeared as an issue after a few weeks of riding.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Ratchetting the pedals

wim said:
A more elegant solution is to coast through tight U-turns. With a bit of practice, you'll quickly learn exactly how much speed you need to carry into the turn to coast all the way around and still stay on the pavement (or not hit the curb in a more urban environment).
An even more elegant solution is to learn to ratchet the pedals, i.e. take short up and down strokes with the inside pedal forward.

wim said:
Edit - I saw in your other post that you're indeed very concerned about toe overlap. As others have said, it's really not an issue. Almost all racing bikes it to some degree - and for almost all riders, toe overlap disappeared as an issue after a few weeks of riding.
Ditto what everybody else said. All my road bikes have some amount of toe overlap, and it has never been a problem. You can't turn the front wheel enough to hit your toes at any speed over a walking pace, and at those slow speeds you can either coast around turns or ratchet the pedals as described above. After a short time, not putting the outside foot forward while turning becomes second nature, and you don't even think about it anymore.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huge sigh of relief!

wim said:
Coming from mtn bike world where tight turns are everywhere, it just surprised the heck out of me :) You could say I started to panic that I made the wrong choice in frame, etc... To find out that this is a common thing is a huge sigh of relief. Thanks for the verification. Now onto riding ;)

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
It isn't particularly uncommon at all, particularly for smaller riders using bikes with shorter top tubes. I am kind of surprised a rider of your height would experience it, but I've got some toe overlap on my Seven.

I know the one or two times (esp. U-turns) that it happens and have adjusted just fine. So will you. Good luck!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Gotta add. That's a nice looking bike. I think you'll really end up enjoying it. Also, very broadly based on the dimensions you gave the size sounds about right also. Let us know how it feels when you put some miles on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jtolleson said:
It isn't particularly uncommon at all, particularly for smaller riders using bikes with shorter top tubes. I am kind of surprised a rider of your height would experience it, but I've got some toe overlap on my Seven.

I know the one or two times (esp. U-turns) that it happens and have adjusted just fine. So will you. Good luck!
jtolleson, thx. Knowing that this is not an issue, gives me comforting mind, and I will adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ridgetop said:
Gotta add. That's a nice looking bike. I think you'll really end up enjoying it. Also, very broadly based on the dimensions you gave the size sounds about right also. Let us know how it feels when you put some miles on it.
Thanks Ridgetop. It's my 40th bd gift from my wife :) Just riding around the block, the size seem to fit really well. I'm getting an ex-road racer friend to help me with fitting. Afterwards, I plan to put some miles on it. Will let you know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts