Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Was wondering how people have handled toe overlap?
I normally use 172.5 and thought that 170 would be alright, but the toe clips hit. Was thinking of using a vintage spd pedal or getting 165mm cranks? Some recommendations would be nice.
Thanks

·
22 going on Ancient
373 Posts
There was a thread regarding toe overlap a few days ago...

My question for you is when are you ever turning the front wheel enough that you'll notice the overlap? For the most part, you'll rarely turn the wheel enough for it to happen, and when it does, you're either going so slow that it's not an issue, or you can just coast through the turn, negating the issue.

Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
burritoguru said:
Hey, Was wondering how people have handled toe overlap?
I normally use 172.5 and thought that 170 would be alright, but the toe clips hit. Was thinking of using a vintage spd pedal or getting 165mm cranks? Some recommendations would be nice.
Thanks

All my road bikes have some sort of toe overlap...some are worse than others but it's a non-issue on the road bike.... If you are going to do a very slow speed sharp turn, just plan accordingly.....during normal riding conditions, it's no problem

It can get a little more challenging on a fixie but even than, I rarely have an issue

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
All my road bikes have some sort of toe overlap...some are worse than others but it's a non-issue on the road bike.... If you are going to do a very slow speed sharp turn, just plan accordingly.....during normal riding conditions, it's no problem

It can get a little more challenging on a fixie but even than, I rarely have an issue
I'm with Dave here. The only bike I have that DOESN'T have overlap is my Raleigh commuter which has geometry closer to a touring bike than a race bike.

It just isn't an issue.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My S22 is the worst of my bikes. A handful at tight turns while going slow.
The solution is to ride it faster...........

:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tesch

Thanks for the replies. I do agree that a Dave Tesch is built for speed, but I feel that with any possibility of getting my foot caught is good enough for me to put clipless pedals on it.I have a Steelman stage race, Soulcraft Groundskeeper (xbike),had a Otis Guy purist and a Specialized Allez SE with no toe overlap.

Some tricks to get rid of toe overlap
-move the cages as far away from the tire as possible
-get shorter cranks and do the same as above
-get clipless pedals
-ride fast
-time your turns with how you will position your pedals.
-sell the bike

Will post picks in another thread later in the week.
Thanks again for the suggestions

Also does anyone know how to approx date Tesch frames outside the obvious model and size number.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.