Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when I pedal, my toe points downward after I go over the top. Over a period of time, and, particularly on hills, my calves tend to cramp up a little due to constantly being tight from the downward pointing tendancy of my foot (imagine standing tiptoe and your calf balls up.) I've tried fiddling with the seatpost, but I can't seem to find a comfortable position. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and if there is some solution to fix this. I take all recommendations.
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use to have the same problem

itsmichael said:
I've noticed that when I pedal, my toe points downward after I go over the top. Over a period of time, and, particularly on hills, my calves tend to cramp up a little due to constantly being tight from the downward pointing tendancy of my foot (imagine standing tiptoe and your calf balls up.) I've tried fiddling with the seatpost, but I can't seem to find a comfortable position. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and if there is some solution to fix this. I take all recommendations.
Much appreciated.
My friends told me I need to ride with my feet being as flat as I could get them. That seemed to help out a lot. I'm still new at this myself and am still learning from all the great people on this web site. Maybe they could help you out!........Justin :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Some Quick Advice

mtnbikenc1979 said:
My friends told me I need to ride with my feet being as flat as I could get them. That seemed to help out a lot. I'm still new at this myself and am still learning from all the great people on this web site. Maybe they could help you out!........Justin :D
It is possible that your seat is simply too high. If you don't think it is, try this. To counter the natural downard angle of your toes, try pedaling as if you are doing so with your heels. By doing the polar opposite pedal stroke, hopefully it will become easier to adjust to the proper "as level as possible" stroke that we all strive for. Give it time. Hope this helps.
Ciao!

·
Registered
129 Posts
this issue is called 'ankling'

I believe there is a little bit more to it than just saddle height, although that surely is important. The pedalling technique I am talking about, is called 'ankling'. A very good description + animation is found in this link:

http://www.cranklength.info/animation/ankling.htm

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
57 Posts
You know, that just might be your physiology or the way it works best for you. Jacques Anquetil rode that way his whole career. In fact, when my dad taught me to ride, he stressed that I should point my toes downward, like Anquetil. "Point your toes! Point your toes!" ... I still ride that way.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Same here. The cramps at the beginning of the season were absolutely debilitating. I drank alot more water, had longer warmups, and went easy in the base period. Moved my cleats back 2-3 mm and my seat is already in a good low position.

·
Registered
129 Posts
re: animation ...

Ideally you should be on your (stationary) bike while viewing this site, then it will all fall into place. Seriously, it works when I click the link; besides that, I have no idea.

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
It could just be your natural style of pedaling. I too pedal toes down and always have. I do ride with a pretty high saddle but if I go lower it bothers my knees. I have found this to be my natural pedaling style and have been riding like this for over thirty years. I usually will stand and stretch my calves on the bike frequently while on longer rides. I also will get some bad calf cramping, occasional, when I really hammer on the bike in a duathlon.

·
off the back
15,593 Posts
i can't pedal toes down. i have a bad right knee, and whenever i begin pedalling with toes pointed a bit downward, not correctly ankling, i get a pretty good twinge in the knee. so i've got a built in reminder to maintain good form.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Toe pointing is ok. Cramping calves aren't.

Sit with your crank arms parallel to the seat tube. Can you reach the bottom pedal with your heels without rocking your hips or leaning to that side? You should be able to.

You may also try moving your seat back a little which, for me, makes toe pointing feel less natural.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Doesn't matter - so long as you're consistent

I've read that toes up or down don't make a difference so long as they remain that way throughout the pedal stroke.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2 cents

All good replies, for me I noticed that I squish into the "seat" more when I lower my ankles.
Riding toe down feels more powerful and feels more correct when at speed & going DH, but when climbing and grinding heel down is much better...

·
Registered
21,784 Posts
While your dad said "point your toes"

Most coaches would say "get your heels down." There is a certain amount of individual physiology in this, but keeping the heels down is the generally recommended approach. In practice, few can keep their heels down all the way around, but for most of us, attempting to do this improves the pedal stroke.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.