Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should the absence of this option be a significant factor in a shoe choice? would I use them once a year on average? more?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Really depends on what sort of terrain you are racing on. If it is pretty dry and firm where you are, you probably don't need them. If things get loose or slippery, might be a good idea. I keep mine permanently on my cross race shoes. I don't think they slow my running down and if I need them, they are there.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I wouldn't buy shoes for racing cx without the option of using spikes and I very rarely need them. But, when you do need them you'll be glad that you have them.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If your screenname means you live in Boulder, CO then you don't need them for CO racing! You'll be lucky to see maybe 2 mud races a year, and even then, they may not even have run ups where you would need them.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Toe spikes are great for reducing wear to the tread on the front of the shoe's sole. I use soccer cleats and replace them as they wear.

·
Registered
298 Posts
davemess said:
If your screenname means you live in Boulder, CO then you don't need them for CO racing! You'll be lucky to see maybe 2 mud races a year, and even then, they may not even have run ups where you would need them.

Last year we had at least half a dozen races in snow and mud.

·
Frites en Mayo Velo Club
226 Posts
I live in CO and I would not buy a pair of shoes without spike holes in them. They are invaluable in snow races and some of the BoulderRacing sites.

Make sure you purchase the Sidi toe spikes. They are the only one's that really work. Soccer toe spikes are worthless for traction.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I like the toe spikes, they're nice for steep run ups on soft ground. The only time I've experienced a downside is some of the courses I race on have run ups with steps made of rail road ties and the toe spikes are slippery on wood but I would not take them off over it.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
I can't speak for Colorado (which somehow doesn't need spikes?), but for most of the rest of us, I'd say spikes are a MUST HAVE on a 'cross shoe!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts