Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Costco today and saw that they had "Little Hotties" toe warmers, so I picked up a box. I've never used them before, so any advice for cycling use? Under the toes or on top? Other advice? Thanks.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Put them on the top of your sock. They also work stuck to your bar tape (sometimes you have to use electrical tape also). If you use glove liners in the winter you can use them between the liner and the glove on the palm (works better than hotties hand warmers on the back of the liners)
I was at Costco today and saw that they had "Little Hotties" toe warmers, so I picked up a box. I've never used them before, so any advice for cycling use? Under the toes or on top? Other advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I put them under my toes. I have not had a problem with them moving, even in hunting boots when walking. I do not find them to get warm enough to work outside the shoe.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
They need oxygen to work which is why they don't get that warm crammed inside a winter shoe. They work OK, but winter shoes are better. All I ride in the cold is an hour each way to and from work, so chemical toe warmers would be a waste of money for me.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Been using them for years - only way I can ride sub-35 degrees. As others have said, on top of toes, outside of sock... inside of shoe. Not saying under isn't as good... just haven't done it that way.

Side note: If you're looking for these things - use this link: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...x=little+hottie+to,aps,139&crid=1SC95HRWNZ0YJ

Don't Google "Little Hotties"... at least when your kids are around ;-)

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
They need oxygen to work which is why they don't get that warm crammed inside a winter shoe.
They need oxygen, but not a lot. More oxygen just makes the chemical reaction go faster and shortens their life.

According to the instructions they're specifically designed to work in an oxygen restricted environments. It says not to shake or knead the package. I've never had a problem with them not warming up inside winter shoes.

View attachment 317045

·
Registered
525 Posts
They need oxygen, but not a lot. More oxygen just makes the chemical reaction go faster and shortens their life.

According to the instructions they're specifically designed to work in an oxygen restricted environments. It says not to shake or knead the package. I've never had a problem with them not warming up inside winter shoes.
This^^^. I used them for night rides during the Winter.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Over the sock on top of toes like others say. I tried under the toes but found that the heaters get "lumpy" with hard spots as the reaction that makes them hot progresses.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've only used them once, it was pretty cold (around 10°F). I wore them between my shoe and my bootie. That worked fine.

--------------

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Box of 30 pairs for $13.99 at Costco.

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts
Top of the toe of the sock, inside the shoe, then windproof toe covers. It's my go to when it's not quite cold enough for full shoe covers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If below 35, I use them both under the toes and on top, over the socks. This is with regular (not winter) shoes and shoe covers.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I put them on top of my socks and they work well for a couple hours. Also use them on the back of my glove liner to keep my hands warmer inside lobster gloves

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I generally opt for wool socks and then winter riding boots before going for the toe warmers but when it gets into the 20's they provide that important third triad of keeping the feet warm as others have said above the on top of the foot but over the sock and under the boot.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
bought a box last year but really didn't need them. hoping they're still good. last year was really warm . very few days under 30 degrees. get the feeling this winter will be different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts