Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not very active on these boards, most of my time is spent over at weight weenies. I know there are a couple faces on both sites but for those of you who aren't. I'll add more information as I get more riding them on them. Hopefully this is in the right forum.

I just acquired a set of Token brakes to test out.I did not know what to expect but I was still looking forward to them. Of course I set them on a scale, and the pictures speak for themselves. With a claimed weight of 211g they came under. They are over 40% lighter than my couple year old Ultegra brakes. The weights are with the cylinder than pinch the cable and acts as the quick release. Sure they aren’t the most weight weenie brakes, but for people looking for an alternative to the big three that looks good, is cheap, and can for sure stop you then these brakes will be fine. There is also some weight to be saved by going to new pad holders. Feel free to PM me if you wish to know where to get some, I don't want to openly advertise for anyone.

The first thing that stands out about these brakes is the cam and quick release mechanism. The cam has its pivot in the center with a roller bearing on the end which smooths out the operation throughout the pull. After a single ride on these brakes I am noticing the better modulation. I'll write about it more in the coming week once I have tuned the pad position and got some more miles on them.

The quick release mechanism is a cylinder with 2 bolts on either side. The cable goes through the middle and the bolts pinch it inside. It is a much cleaner looking system than the traditional pinching under a washer. I haven't had any issues of cable slippage as some people have said with earlier models. The entire cylinder is removed from the cam arm to release the brakes. The bolts stay against the cable and doesn't appear to be as destructive to the cable as pinching it under a washer. I'll comment again on this after later.

Now to the actual construction of the brakes, they are CNC milled from Aluminum and the anodizing looks good. The machining looks very nice but I’m sure some weight could’ve been saved by removing some more material in the arms. Looking at the back you can really see how much material is removed. The surface is polished everywhere and the front has a fine grove texture. It was hard to capture in a picture but the close up of the brake shows it a bit. It's that texture which is fun to run your nail over.The center bolt and return spring are made of Titanium. The titanium return spring on these is much snappier than the spring in my Ultegra brakes. The brakes snap back open without hesitation. The Shimano compatible pad holders have an orbital adjuster so adjusting toe in is nice and simple.

I was skeptical of how red would look but it actually worked out quite well. I don’t smoke enough ganja and forgot that Rasta is red green and yellow…so now I have to paint my front end green. Maybe some green rims and yellow spokes with a red hub body as well. :lol:

Here are some more pictures of the brakes on my bike.

Putting the brakes on was simple, they center very easily and stay there. They are definitely squishier than my Ultegra’s but what I do like is I can scrub speed off with them much easier than with my previous brakes. I didn’t have the chance for any emergency stops, I’ll do that next time I’m out. Looks like thunderstorms for the next couple of days so we’ll see when that’ll be maybe I'll find an hour window tomorrow morning. Overall I am pleased with how they work, I’ll be in Philadelphia the first week of May so I’ll try them out on slightly hillier terrain. I trust my Ultegra brakes to stop me from 50mph+ in a short distance and these feel as if these could do the same thing. I'll probably be getting some swiss stop pads if I don't like the stock pads after I get back from Philly.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
My buddy works for Token assisting with the design and testing of their products and he has been talking up these and the Token B.B. for some time now. Nice to hear they get a good review.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah they are the same design, these don't sport the Accura logo though.

Crappy weather and a busy schedule has been keeping me from getting more test rides in with these, hopefully it clears up soon. I'll chime in on the performance soon enough. But initial ride thoughts are that the brakes do their job well.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
They don't appear to have a quick release lever to make them easily usable with Shimano shifters. Are the pinchbolts holding the cable supposed to be loosened to act as a quick release? If so, a very dumb idea and bad for Shimano users.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the cylinder in which the bolt is pinched is removed from the cam arm. It's an interesting design but I'm not sure how much I like it yet.

·
Registered
505 Posts
as stated over at WW...these are essentially identical to kurve / feather / rossetti. dunno who's rebranding and who's original, but they're all the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So following up on these.

I just bought some swiss stop green pads, the stock pads were too hard of a compound and did not grip well at all but they could still stop me. When I took the old pads off they had chips in them and were glazed over. The glazing is normal but annoying, but they were chipped to hell for some reason.With the swiss stops these brakes grab so much better than my ultegra brakes. On top of that the brakes modulate a lot better.

I only wish I received a pair that matched my bike better. And now i've got green to add to the mix.

The brakes work great, they stop you in a short amount of time, they are light, and they are cheap.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
How cheap? The website doesn't list prices. Anyone know how much the 9141C carbon seatpost or the 914A alum seatpost cost? Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts