Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to ride the greenway out to Little River park on my road bike. I remember seeing this one section and thinking to myself "Damn, I bet this is super slippery after a good rain."

Well, we had a good rain, but I wasn't moving that fast, but the turn was sharper than I'd remembered, this is only the second time I've ridden it. I approached with too much speed and began to slide totally sideways before the front tire totally let loose and slammed me on the ground. I slide across the entire greenway on my left butt cheek, tore off the cleat on the bottom of my left shoe (I just bought these damn pedals) before finally coming to a stop in the dirt. My wrist and hip took most of the fall, and my wrist really hurts even 2 days later, although I don't think anything is broken. I was 8 miles into my ride, and pondered just riding back to my car, but I HTFU and continued on to eventually finish a 30 mile ride. Little River was kind of cool.. a major ******* riviera, complete with loads of pregnant girls in their 20s who looked at me like I was from another planet in my bike gear and bleeding :p

·
Registered
855 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fall Jim311, nice way to HTFU to by finishing the ride and sporting the crimson flag to all the girls with the bumps!

My wife always worries about me falling, and I always tell her I WILL fall from time to time, it's a part of riding. That tidbit of info keeps her from riding, but I'm working on it.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the first time I've crashed on the road in probably a decade. I guess I got cocky and humbled with a quickness. I'm used to wrecking mountain bikes, where for the most part there is pretty good traction in most situations, and falls seem to be a little more controllable. I was amazed at how quickly I went down, no time to react at all. I normally don't throw a hand out, but if I hadn't, it may have been my face hitting the ground instead of my hand.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Traction

Yeah, those <1" contact patches lose traction in a hurry. It's like, you're riding and then WHAM!

I'm glad you didn't, you know. Hit your face. :)

Jim311 said:
It's the first time I've crashed on the road in probably a decade. I guess I got cocky and humbled with a quickness. I'm used to wrecking mountain bikes, where for the most part there is pretty good traction in most situations, and falls seem to be a little more controllable. I was amazed at how quickly I went down, no time to react at all. I normally don't throw a hand out, but if I hadn't, it may have been my face hitting the ground instead of my hand.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've been down twice on my 750 motorcycle, and it was the same way. Riding along just fine, turn coming up...lean into it a bit...whoa!!! how did I get here and why is my bike over there while I am over here BLEEDING...!!!

The first time was due to some nimrod dumping a gallon of oil on the road just inside a shadow area underneath a freeway overpass in 1986. The second was due to a black ice patch in Charleston, SC one particularly cold morning in 1999.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
HTFU, indeed .... tear a cleat off your shoe and continue another 20+mi single-legging it. You da man, man.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Your supposed to post the bloody a$$ shots :)!

Glad nothin' got broke.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have some pics of a bruised and scraped up thigh/butt cheek but I figured I'd get the ban stick for posting that. My wrist isn't really swollen, just hurt to use in a specific range of motions, like turning a door knob, or writing. Think my boss will buy the excuse that I couldn't come into work because I couldn't turn the door knob, and I'd be worthless anyway since I can't write? :D

I hope I heal up fast, because I've scheduled a 3 day weekend of mountain biking this weekend up in Georgia at Chicopee, Blankets Creek, and Big Creek. It would suck to cancel my plans because of a silly wrist injury. Figures that I hit 10 foot drops on a mountain bike but I break myself riding what amounts to a nature path.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
JustTooBig said:
HTFU, indeed .... tear a cleat off your shoe and continue another 20+mi single-legging it. You da man, man.
The pregnant chicks would probably have been much more impressed if they'd seen that part. Most of my rides are out-and-back rides on very low traffic wilderness roads with very poor to non-existent cell service so the distance I go out is the distance I have to make it back no matter what happens but I'd hate to try it with a missing cleat. Injured or not.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pregnant chicks looked at me like I was walking around in space boots in my underwear.

I guess I do look kinda funny waddling around on these stupid cleats. I am not convinced that "road" specific pedals and shoes are all that fantastic. They're cumbersome and just don't clip in as easily. I was riding MTB pedals and shoes before, but got a good deal on pedals and shoes on Bonktown.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts