Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still can't believe this is happing. I found a house in Cheyanne Wy a few weeks ago and started the process of buying. I have been holding off talking to the slumlord till the appraisal cam back because it was the last thing that could hold up moving. He's kind of a dick and got all pissy with me when I told him we were leaving. Way back when we first moved in we had a water leak that trashed the carpet in the hall that was attached to the living room. It was really old 70s shag and it really really smelled bad. He has had a string of Vet students in this house and the floor looks like a million animals have peed on it. we ripped it all out and exposed the hard wood floors. We panted the entire house and I have repaired every thing thats needed it. We told him we would replace the carpet when we move. He calmed the crap we ripped out was really really expensive. Yea in like 1970. So we went to carpet store locally talked to the sails lady who took total petty on us and gave us an estimate for $700 to replace everything with a really nice rug. Its leftover and discontinued. And as usual he's telling me there is no way its any good at that price and shocker there is no way our security deposit $1400 is going to cover it. And he wants us out early so he can have carpet put in. I basically told him your not getting any more money out of us and we paid till the 1st of the month so you can F**K off. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not sure what state you're in but in many, if not most, the tenant has the advantage. I hate to play that card but sometimes certain people force your hand. You could make life absolutely f'ing miserable for him and walk scott-free. At least that would be the case herein CA. How long were you in the house?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You might want to start reading up on your rights as a renter according to state (and city if applicable) laws.

I got completely screwed out of a $2500 deposit by a landlord. He kept the entire thing for no reason. There was no damage to anything in the house. I left it better than I found it. But he cited 'normal wear an tear' (I only lived there a little over a year).

I met all of the demands as layed out in the lease as it pertains to paying rent, notifiying him of my termination 90 days in advance, etc...

I could have taken him to court to get the security deposit back, but from talking to people experienced in this kinds of situations, I would have likely only recovered part of it, if any at all. Basically it would have been up to me to provide proof that there was no 'standard' wear and tear on things like carpet, paint, walls.

The strange thing is, he was really nice when I first approached him about the place, and even when i was living there he was always friendly, and responsive, but boy, when it came time to leave, he turned into a total jerk...

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
You might want to start reading up on your rights as a renter according to state (and city if applicable) laws.

I got completely screwed out of a $2500 deposit by a landlord. He kept the entire thing for no reason. There was no damage to anything in the house. I left it better than I found it. But he cited 'normal wear an tear' (I only lived there a little over a year).

I met all of the demands as layed out in the lease as it pertains to paying rent, notifiying him of my termination 90 days in advance, etc...

I could have taken him to court to get the security deposit back, but from talking to people experienced in this kinds of situations, I would have likely only recovered part of it, if any at all. Basically it would have been up to me to provide proof that there was no 'standard' wear and tear on things like carpet, paint, walls.

The strange thing is, he was really nice when I first approached him about the place, and even when i was living there he was always friendly, and responsive, but boy, when it came time to leave, he turned into a total jerk...
Normal or "standard" wear and tear is a reason for the leasee to NOT have to forfeit the security deposit. The security deposit is for damages ABOVE normal...or failure to pay rent.

Hopefully the OP has pictures of the original carpet. Take pictures of the new carpet and get the specifications of the carpet from the carpet store, along with original retail price of that carpet before it was discounted. If the guy does not return your deposit, take him to small claims court.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Cancel the new carpet. Use social media to let potential renters know what he's about. Maybe he has to carry the place for awhile and it is some Karma.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have lived here for 8 years and he's been a nightmare for all that time. We only stayed because of location and because he was charging well under market value. Like $500 a month under value. The housing market here is insane and he's going to have a line of people wanting this house. We have people asking us when we are going to be out so they can rent this place. We tell them what a nightmare he is but they don't car its so hard to find a rental here they will put up with it. As much as I would love to put his balls in a vice over this I just want to get out of here and get on with my life.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
Of course it'd be up to you to prove it. Which is actually quite easy. Take pictures. LOTS of them. And video too.
Courts deal with security deposit cases probably more than anything else. The judges know the landlord tricks and can tell the difference between damage and normal wear and tear. Courts are quite strict on landlords incorrectly withholding security deposits. In many states you can retrieve 2x-3x your security back if it was incorrectly held and the landlord doesn't itemize why they withheld it.

Also, anytime renting a place, the first thing you should do is take lots of pictures before you move in. Save them and take all the same pics over again when you leave. Make sure you let the landlord know you'll be doing so. They'll think twice before trying to screw you over.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After 8 years he should have expected to replace the carpet when you leave. Life expectancy of carpet is 10 years. I presume it was more than 2 years old when you moved in. You should owe him nothing for the carpet.

Carpets - Normal Wear and Tear
LOL that carpet was like 30 years old. This entire house is from the 50s and he's never dun any thing to update it.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
After 8 years he should have expected to replace the carpet when you leave. Life expectancy of carpet is 10 years. I presume it was more than 2 years old when you moved in. You should owe him nothing for the carpet.

Carpets - Normal Wear and Tear
Last commercial apartment I was at, they admitted to having a policy of replacing the carpet every two years....or when a tenant moves out in that time frame.

Which was good because while the place was nice, the carpet was new but stained easily. Similarly they used the cheapest paint/primer on the walls they could. Those "magic eraser" sponge thing? Yea I went to use one and it took some paint off the walls.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I think the landlord might have some traction because you removed the carpet and did all the painting yourself. If the carpet was that bad you should have called the city inspector and complained about mold. Now it's your word against his, and unless either of you have documentation he may be able to screw you over if you don't have pictures or a piece of the original carpet.

I'd fight it in small claims court regardless, you may be able to get some of your deposit back.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Tell him you'll move out ASAP but you expect to see your security deposit or a good slice of it back. He wants you gone so your early departure should be worth something to him. Did he give you permission to renovate and remove the carpet? It sounds like he did and he never stipulated IN WRITING what the carpet should have been replaced with. Mention that you have talked to a solicitor, (I am sure you have somewhere in your life) and the best advice you have got over this matter ( me, here) is that you have good grounds to file a claim in the small claims court. The fact that you talked to a solicitor and the advice are totally unconnected is for you to know and him to never find out. The mention of lawyers and court should be enough to make him think about cutting his perceived losses. Good luck. ON the other hand you have gotten 8 years of $500 a month sub market rental. 500X12X8= about $48K. Is he really that much of a dick? And you have already told him to F off. Stay until the end of the month and have a big house cooling party. What can he do other than keep your deposit for any damage that might happen at a party? You know like funky paint jobs and graffiti on the walls. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
You lived there 8 years and he's trying to screw you out of $1400! That's ridiculous. I just inherited a townhouse and have been fixing it up to be a rental. Just had a tenant sign a 3 year lease and I was pretty happy about that. After 8 years, the guy should be doing a major renovation. But if the market is that tight, why would he I guess.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
I think the landlord might have some traction because you removed the carpet and did all the painting yourself. If the carpet was that bad you should have called the city inspector and complained about mold. Now it's your word against his, and unless either of you have documentation he may be able to screw you over if you don't have pictures or a piece of the original carpet.

I'd fight it in small claims court regardless, you may be able to get some of your deposit back.
^^This^^

Although, I always have to weight the desire to get out Dodge and the desire for fairness. I usually just take my lumps. Last apartment in Brooklyn, I did quite a bit of work to make it habitable plus I was shoveling the sidewalk and front stoop for free--then the owner (who was congenial while he was collecting his $3700/mo) tried to get us to make a claim against the moving company for damage to his security grate on the under-stoop door--who the hell knows how long it had been like that? (and the movers were great!)

No reciprocity, no humanity--just self-interest. I just paid for the bogus repair and secretly prayed that he will burn in hell...

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^This^^

Although, I always have to weight the desire to get out Dodge and the desire for fairness. I usually just take my lumps. Last apartment in Brooklyn, I did quite a bit of work to make it habitable plus I was shoveling the sidewalk and front stoop for free--then the owner (who was congenial while he was collecting his $3700/mo) tried to get us to make a claim against the moving company for damage to his security grate on the under-stoop door--who the hell knows how long it had been like that? (and the movers were great!)

No reciprocity, no humanity--just self-interest. I just paid for the bogus repair and secretly prayed that he will burn in hell...
Yea thats kind of how I feel about him. There was a 3 month period a few years ago when I did't here from him we were hopping he kicked the bucket. He was lamenting to me not long after we moved in about how he wishes had gotten the house behind us too when this property was sold. They spit it and a lady got the house behind us. He actually told me no women should own property. And it wasn't right that she got that house.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if he fails to return your deposit, I'd make sure he has a 1400.00 problem when you leave.
O the electric alone in this house is a time bomb waiting to happen. We had a problem with the connection out on the street about 6 months ago. The power company came and fixed the problem but looked in the meter box. It was a rats nest and they told him he needs to replace it. He told the service guy no it works fine and walked away. Dude looked at me and I was like i knew he would say that. I just need it not to burst in the flames till after I'm out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts