Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In fact, he will win at least 3 times. Between 2009 and 2015 that is.

This is my WAG (wild ass guess) for today. Boonen is the best cyclist today and he's only 25 years old. Currently, he's built for the classics and for sprinting. He can time trial though it seems.

One of the reports is that he can generate 440 watts for 16 minutes on a recent tests. He's got the power.

After he wins sprints and classics for a couple of years, it seems a natural progression that he will try for a grand tour. This is after all something the Belgians long to get back to. He's currently at 175 lbs. Lose 15 lbs. like Merckx and we're in business.

francois

·
Registered
178 Posts
francois said:

This is my WAG (wild ass guess) for today. Boonen is the best cyclist today and he's only 25 years old. Currently, he's built for the classics and for sprinting. He can time trial though it seems.

One of the reports is that he can generate 440 watts for 16 minutes on a recent tests. He's got the power.

After he wins sprints and classics for a couple of years, it seems a natural progression that he will try for a grand tour. This is after all something the Belgians long to get back to. He's currently at 175 lbs. Lose 15 lbs. like Merckx and we're in business.

francois
Let me be the first one to tell you that you're CCC (completely coocoo) but that I SYO (second your opinion) and feel that TB (Tom Boonen) can win the TDF (Tour de France) at SPIHC (some point in his career) maybe even MT (multiple times).

:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
No he won't. Between predictions of Hincapie winning TdF (or even getting on a podium), serious considerations for Magnussen (his improved GC position was only because everyone let him go a few times figuring he is going for polka dots - but now he is a marked man) and other crazy theories... How about this: Cippo comes out of retirement to win the Giro? This is my wild ass guess of the week...

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Yeah if those power numbers his trainer reported are accurate it seems he could at least challenge for the win if he became concentration camp lean like most tour contenders. IIRC though in interviews he doesn't seem like he's in it for the long haul but looking to make his mark and then get out of the game which doesn't bode well for him sticking around long enough to make the change.

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LSchoux said:
Let me be the first one to tell you that you're CCC (completely coocoo) but that I SYO (second your opinion) and feel that TB (Tom Boonen) can win the TDF (Tour de France) at SPIHC (some point in his career) maybe even MT (multiple times).

:D
HHH (ha, ha, ha). It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A! That 'CCC' is genius.

francois

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MaRider said:
How about this: Cippo comes out of retirement to win the Giro? This is my wild ass guess of the week...
I'd like to see the Vegas Odds on some of that one. :eek:

francois

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dwayne Barry said:
Yeah if those power numbers his trainer reported are accurate it seems he could at least challenge for the win if he became concentration camp lean like most tour contenders. IIRC though in interviews he doesn't seem like he's in it for the long haul but looking to make his mark and then get out of the game which doesn't bode well for him sticking around long enough to make the change.
The man is definitely strong. Last year in the Tour of Flanders, he launched an attack from a group of 6 riders and was gone. With 9k to go!!! After climbing 18 steep hills! It's the finest race I've ever seen btw.

Side note: Do not miss the Tour of Flanders this weekend. What a fine race that is.

I heard as well that he only plans to race 5 more years. Motivation is the key factor here.

fc

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I think you are right. I think he will also win 8 stages in each Tour, and in the 2009 Tour will take the yellow, green, and polka dot jerseys.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Why not, I say. If Virenque can evolve into a climber and Pantani could somehow TT as well as he did in 98, then why can't Boonen win a major tour? I'd like to see it.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
francois said:
The man is definitely strong. Last year in the Tour of Flanders, he launched an attack from a group of 6 riders and was gone. With 9k to go!!! After climbing 18 steep hills! It's the finest race I've ever seen btw.

Side note: Do not miss the Tour of Flanders this weekend. What a fine race that is.

I heard as well that he only plans to race 5 more years. Motivation is the key factor here.

fc
Put your money on Boonen for Flanders, yesterday in the 3 days of the Panne Koksijde one guy was pulling and the entire peloton was strung out in single file Boonen just strolled by half of the peloton to tell the guy to take it easy. He's a cyborg motorcycle at the moment and it will take one hell of a "combine" to whoop his arse. :cool: :eek: :D

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
rogger said:
Put your money on Boonen for Flanders, yesterday in the 3 days of the Panne Koksijde one guy was pulling and the entire peloton was strung out in single file Boonen just strolled by half of the peloton to tell the guy to take it easy. He's a cyborg motorcycle at the moment and it will take one hell of a "combine" to whoop his arse. :cool: :eek: :D
At the E3 Prijs last weekend on one of the climbs before he followed Ballan's attack and the two went on to contest for the win, the bunch hit it and kind of spread out across the road just setting a tempo up it, Boonen turned and said something to the guy next to him who was struggling to hold his place at the front. He then got out the saddle and didn't even attack but just lifted the pace a bit for the last couple 100 meters over the top and strung everything out with gaps opening up behind him. But there are some reports that he has a cold now, so there might be a chance for someone else.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
At the E3 Prijs last weekend on one of the climbs before he followed Ballan's attack and the two went on to contest for the win, the bunch hit it and kind of spread out across the road just setting a tempo up it, Boonen turned and said something to the guy next to him who was struggling to hold his place at the front. He then got out the saddle and didn't even attack but just lifted the pace a bit for the last couple 100 meters over the top and strung everything out with gaps opening up behind him. But there are some reports that he has a cold now, so there might be a chance for someone else.
Quick Steps comment on his cold today is "just a little phlegm", he seemed strong enough today zooming up the peloton occasionally to chat with a teammate.

G

·
Someone's selling crack on Road Bike Review

You put the Alps in front of Boonen and he's finished. There is no way (barring testicular cancer ravaging his body) that Boonen can shed the muscle mass he has to become a tour contender. He'll never crack the top 20.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
gnauss said:
You put the Alps in front of Boonen and he's finished. There is no way (barring testicular cancer ravaging his body) that Boonen can shed the muscle mass he has to become a tour contender. He'll never crack the top 20.
With a TdF like this year's all he has to do is hang on in the mountain stages and strike in the TT's, he could learn to do that.

G

·
Define "hang on". This tour has excellent climbers like Basso and Ullrich. He'll lose 10-20 minutes per mountain stage. Plus he's not that good at the TT. Basso, Ullrich, and Landis are much better at the TT than Boonen.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
gnauss said:
Define "hang on". This tour has excellent climbers like Basso and Ullrich. He'll lose 10-20 minutes per mountain stage. Plus he's not that good at the TT. Basso, Ullrich, and Landis are much better at the TT than Boonen.
"This tour" is being held in 2006, not between 2009 and 2015. By the time Boonen is ready, all those guys will be gone.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
gnauss said:
Hang on as Ullrich has done, or at least tried to, since '97.

G

·
By then younger riders like Popovych and Danielson will have a better chance than Boonen. I'm telling you there is no way Boonen can strip enough musle from his frame to be a great climber.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Sprinter win TDF06?

Who was the last sprinter to win the greatest road race on Earth? I agree that this Belgian pro is remarkably powerful, his mitochondria must be from the same place Lance's are from (joke). I just have a hard time accepting his climbing skills. Most sprinters are unable to sustain a steady and stretched out effort to remain competitive or dominate the mountain stages, and that is why they are not label as climbers. Boonen has performed marvelously in his specialty, but not as an "all-around" racer, and IMHO to win the TDF you must master all the racing skills/strategies, including the ITT, TTT, long and short stages, etc.If I was you, I would return the crystal ball you got ripped off with (joke).
francois said:

francois

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mohair_chair said:
I think you are right. I think he will also win 8 stages in each Tour, and in the 2009 Tour will take the yellow, green, and polka dot jerseys.
Witty! You forgot most aggressive rider and best team and ...

I hear he is a rock star in Belgium now. He gets helicoptered from place to place. Groupies follow him everywhere wanting to have his babies.

He is a star for sure and Belgians are banking on even more success in the future.

fc

1 - 20 of 65 Posts