Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...So what's the mystery behind Tommy D's illness. No reports anywhere on it, Slipstream's web site only said that he was flying home for more testing. Did he fail a drug test? Will he race again this year. Was he saving himself for the Mt. Evans:confused hill climb. Will the world ever know??????? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Comments?

I'm sorry guys - I can't find the "comment" on the Slipstream site. Can anyone verify?

On a side note, in the last article Danielson penned on the Slipstream site (something about training in Spain on awesome roads, everything is great, blah, blah, blah) he mentions twice his girlfriend "Stephanie." Now............I thought Danielson was married to noted Durango mountain bike Kristen Johnson?????

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Lance was quoted (in the upcoming issue of procycling magazine, reprinted in part in cyclingnews.com yesterday) in apparent reference to Danielson: "As far as the Americans go, I'd say we're at least a couple of years away. Those riders referred to as the Great White Hopes haven't really panned out. That's not a criticism of them, it's just that European cycling is just very different than the Tour of Georgia or Redlands or a VO2 test in the lab."

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VoodooCadillac said:
I'm sorry guys - I can't find the "comment" on the Slipstream site. Can anyone verify?

On a side note, in the last article Danielson penned on the Slipstream site (something about training in Spain on awesome roads, everything is great, blah, blah, blah) he mentions twice his girlfriend "Stephanie." Now............I thought Danielson was married to noted Durango mountain bike Kristen Johnson?????

If you look back through the race reports for the GP whatever in Portugal on the stage he DNF you'll see the admin response, or lack of...

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
coop said:
...So what's the mystery behind Tommy D's illness. No reports anywhere on it, Slipstream's web site only said that he was flying home for more testing. Did he fail a drug test? Will he race again this year. Was he saving himself for the Mt. Evans:confused hill climb. Will the world ever know??????? :confused: :confused:
He had back problems this year too?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/may08/catalunya08/

American Tom Danielson is returning to the peloton after having back problems. He has been racing himself back into shape with his Slipstream team in the Four Days of Dunkirk, and is motivated to show his form on the familiar roads of his adopted home country.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
You can only crash so many times before it catches up with you, especially as a skinny climber. Seems like his biggest problem was he was moved up to the show before his pack skills matched his promised ability. He may be better off on a domestic team.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
This is Tom's 6th year as a PRO on the road, preceded by 3 years as a pro MTN biker. You would think that by now he would know how to ride a bike.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
bigpinkt said:
This is Tom's 6th year as a PRO on the road, preceded by 3 years as a pro MTN biker. You would think that by now he would know how to ride a bike.
Riding a bike and being able to negotiate a Euro Pro Peleton on the crazy small road furniture strewn courses are two different things. Plus he has never really run a full season or had a solid plan for what he was there for. I think's he's better off a big fish on a small US pro squad pond.

·
Registered
143 Posts
TD's back problems were from the Vuelta crash, just not diagnosed properly due to the major issues with his shoulder...Pretty sure Slipstream's site referred to him going home, which may have meant Spain instead of the US or he flew back and then back to Spain...who knows...

If in fact he's still slotted for the tour, this may be make or break for him, with the emergence of Maaskant and others on the team as well as JV's search for a 'big' GC guy..

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mystery sorta solved. I was also confused when "Garmin's":thumbsup: site said he was flying home for more testing for his latest illness. Indeed he is in Spain and training for the Route de Sud. Lets be honest, if he wants to race the TDF, he has to perform well in this race. If not, there is no way JV will include him. Routing for the guy is like routing for the Cubs, or any Cleveland team:mad2:

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
Coolhand said:
Riding a bike and being able to negotiate a Euro Pro Peleton on the crazy small road furniture strewn courses are two different things. Plus he has never really run a full season or had a solid plan for what he was there for. I think's he's better off a big fish on a small US pro squad pond.
I agree, he should concentrate on winning hill climbs in the US.

Tom has seldom had to race those narrow races in Belgium/Netherlands, focused instead on the climbing races in France and Spain, not nearly so technical. He has cracked plenty of times in those as well, more mental then physical.

There are some stages of the Tour this year that are perfect for him, he just has to make it past the first 10 days. If the GC is already settled look for him to get into a escape on one of the stages with an early climb. Even if he is a wuss I will still be yelling at my TV if he makes it into a good break.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.