Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on Micheal Barrys Velonew riders diarys the other day.

Getting a message from Tom Danielson on my Blackberry that he had broken Lance's record on the Madone. Lance had done the climb nearly every year just prior to the Tour de France to test his fitness and Tom had set the new mark confirming his astounding abilities on a bike.

Do you think it could be a possible that Tom could be the new leader of Disco next year???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Just cause you ride faster does not make you a good leader. No I think not. Maybe hincapie or someone else with more experiance in tactics and leadership,will e captain of the great discovery vessel
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
Humm, I can't seem to remeber how told Danielson is right now, but if I'm thinking right he's mid 20's. I doubt they would try him as the leader so young, I have no doubt that they are trying to groom him to be the leader, but many things besides how fast someone can climb a mountian need to be in place to have a successful leader.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
FTF said:
Humm, I can't seem to remeber how told Danielson is right now, but if I'm thinking right he's mid 20's. I doubt they would try him as the leader so young, I have no doubt that they are trying to groom him to be the leader, but many things besides how fast someone can climb a mountian need to be in place to have a successful leader.
right-even lance personally was grooming danielson, but i can't see disco trying to rush his learning process. he has some good results in him though, there is no denying that. and you can't underestimate the significance of him beating lance's climbing mark, that is huge.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
cmatcan said:
there is no denying that. and you can't underestimate the significance of him beating lance's climbing mark, that is huge.
Well, there are good climbers, and then there are tour winners, they usually aren't the same. Climbing takes a certian skillset, as does being a sprinter, or whatever, but lance while a good climber, never won the tour becuase he was the best climber, he was better than everyone else at doing everything, a jack of all trades and master of one, the TT, and a good climber,(also a great 6th sence in the pack for danger, he almost never got hurt, you can't discount this ability to never get hurt) I'm sure there are many more pure climbers that could beat Lance's time up that mountian.

And lets remeber, than Lance, while a good bike racer, isn't the best at everything, or arguably, anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
rollinrob said:
I saw this on Micheal Barrys Velonew riders diarys the other day.

Getting a message from Tom Danielson on my Blackberry that he had broken Lance's record on the Madone. Lance had done the climb nearly every year just prior to the Tour de France to test his fitness and Tom had set the new mark confirming his astounding abilities on a bike.

Do you think it could be a possible that Tom could be the new leader of Disco next year???
That's not so surprsing given the reports of his higher power/weight ratio that went around last year. Didn't seem to do him any particular good at the Vuelta though. You can waste a lot of energy with poor pack skills and you have to recover well day after day for a GT. That's at least 2 reasons that having unbelievable test stats might never translate into being a big winner.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
923 Posts
Danielson's 28 - certainly no spring chicken considering he's ridden 1 GT.

The impression you get is that he's great at these one off hill climbs but not great when put in a 3 week long stage race situation (and 9th in last year's Vuelta, whilst creditable, has to be tempered by the fact that the field was not great).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
This...

Bianchigirl said:
Danielson's 28 - certainly no spring chicken considering he's ridden 1 GT.

The impression you get is that he's great at these one off hill climbs but not great when put in a 3 week long stage race situation (and 9th in last year's Vuelta, whilst creditable, has to be tempered by the fact that the field was not great).
This is what I keep telling people. I think that he has the ability, and has the skillset to be a great GT rider (he can climb and TT, which are the 2 things you need), but he's freakin' 28! People keep talking about bringing him along slowly, getting him to learn. If they don't start doing something soon, he's going to be out of the sport before he even gets into it. I can see nursing someone along when they're say, 21, but 28, he needs to step up big this year, or there isn't going to be anything for him on down the line, maybe some smaller stage races, but he won't be winning le Tour at this rate, ever.

And oh, BG, he was 8th last year at la Vuelta after the unfortunate disqualification of the winner. He was still getting dropped on the big hard climbs though, and finished wayyy down in time. It doesn't matter if he's faster up the Madone, doesn't matter if he's faster during training. He hasn't won anything of note, ever.

I love it when people prop up Danielson as new leader this year, but there is still il Falco, and still there is Popovych, both who have A LOT more grand tour experience than Danielson does. Look for Popo at le Tour this year, look for il Falco to be in the running at the Giro again and helping at the tour, look for Danielson to possibly make his Tour debut, but don't expect him to be leading anything.
 

·
professional lurker
Joined
·
460 Posts
I agree. Danielson is already 28 and Johan already has indicated that Tommy Boy won't even make the TDF team this year. Popo is the future of Disco, not Danielson. The Vuelta is an impressive race and all that crap, but the big guns weren't there. He's a talented cyclist, but I think Popo is further along at a younger age.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
Red Sox Junkie said:
I agree. Danielson is already 28 and Johan already has indicated that Tommy Boy won't even make the TDF team this year. Popo is the future of Disco, not Danielson. The Vuelta is an impressive race and all that crap, but the big guns weren't there. He's a talented cyclist, but I think Popo is further along at a younger age.
Yes, I agree, I thought he was younger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
magnolialover said:
And oh, BG, he was 8th last year at la Vuelta after the unfortunate disqualification of the winner. He was still getting dropped on the big hard climbs though, and finished wayyy down in time. It doesn't matter if he's faster up the Madone, doesn't matter if he's faster during training. He hasn't won anything of note, ever.
Exactly, there's a big difference in doing it when the stakes are nothing and doing it when the stakes are everything.

That said, he does have talent and I would like to see him target the Vuelta and win it. Then we can talk about the Giro or the Tour. But for now, Popo seems like the best guy for them to support during the Tour.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top