Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to Charleston SC from Seattle WA. It is time to start getting back into road riding after 10 years of mainly mountian biking.

I have had previous neck and wrist injuries (motorcycle wreck) and need some good shock absorbtion. I was planning on getting a steel frame Bianchi Veloce or Vigorello but came across the TOMASSO AGRAZIATO. Specs are below and it is about $300 more for the full carbon vs the heavier (but time tested) Bianchi.

So two questions:
1. What is overall quality of Tomasso bikes? Anyone ever have any problems with them?
2. How will a full carbon fiber monocoque frame compare in ride and durability with the heavier (but time tested) steel Bianchi frame?

Thanks for your input!
JR
Charleston SC

Tommaso Aggraziato Premium Specs:

2.4 LBS Full-Carbon Fiber Monocoque Frame!
New Shimano Ultegra 20 Speed Components
Tommaso Carbon Fiber Fork
FSA Carbon Compact Crankset
Mavic Aksium Race Wheelset
Ritchey Logic Pro bar/stem
FSA SL-K Carbon Fiber Seat Post
Special Edition Selle Italia C2 TransAm Saddle
Genuine Italian high performance Vittoria Zaffiro race tires

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
This is bound to deteriorate into the same-old same-old argument about the benefits of buying online vs. the assistance of an LBS.

First, have no illusions. NO road bike has "shock absorption." Folks talk about carbon forks having some compliance, but it is imperceptible. They don't rattle one's fillings like the aluminum forks of yore but they are often also a fair bit stiffer than the old steel forks. You may very well need a bike with a more upright riding position than either of these, to get less weight on your hands. You can also give the bike a little more cush with bigger tires.

Under these circumstances, seems like you should definitely buy locally so you can get fit assistance and if you need to switch to a riser stem or something in the future, you'll have ease of exchange.

I've not ridden Tommaso carbon and carbon frames can vary a lot in feel. But if you asked me whether I'd prefer a Tommaso or a Bianchi, it isn't even a close call.

· Registered
2,838 Posts
What she said.

jtolleson said:
This is bound to deteriorate into the same-old same-old argument about the benefits of buying online vs. the assistance of an LBS.

First, have no illusions. NO road bike has "shock absorption." Folks talk about carbon forks having some compliance, but it is imperceptible. They don't rattle one's fillings like the aluminum forks of yore but they are often also a fair bit stiffer than the old steel forks. You may very well need a bike with a more upright riding position than either of these, to get less weight on your hands. You can also give the bike a little more cush with bigger tires.

Under these circumstances, seems like you should definitely buy locally so you can get fit assistance and if you need to switch to a riser stem or something in the future, you'll have ease of exchange.

I've not ridden Tommaso carbon and carbon frames can vary a lot in feel. But if you asked me whether I'd prefer a Tommaso or a Bianchi, it isn't even a close call.

Get the Bianchi and use bigger tires or inflate the ones that come with it less if you desire more "compliance."

Have fun getting back on the road bike!

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Nekidewtons said:
Even though the FullCarbon is going to be about 4-5 pounds lighter????

It won't be 4-5 pounds lighter, it will be at the most, 1-2 pounds lighter. Poundage is 100% marketing crap. Forget about weight, it isn't going to make you any faster.

My reasoning is simple - CF bikes are not the be-all and end-all in bicycle comfort. Some of them are stiffer than hell and thus do not impact the comfort one expects. The shock absorbtion you expect isn't any more likely to appear with a CF frame than it is with a steel frame.

Secondly, you're getting back into cycling (your words.) You say you need comfort. Do you know enough about your personal position and fit requirements to buy a bike off the internet? That question is coming from someone who buys 100% of his bikes on-line, so I'm not about to make the old "support your local economy" argument. I think you need to go spend some time at the LBS sitting on bikes with someone who knows what they're doing, and work out a deal where you can swap stems and saddles until you get something that satisfies your needs. A poorly fit bike will kill you far worse than one with less "shock absorbtion."

I own 3 of what many might argue are the finest CF bikes in the world. I'd take a well-fit, steel bike any day of the week over them. And if I was coming into this with physical limitations, I'd take a steel Bianchi in about 10 seconds before I'd take the Tomasso bought on-line, sight-unseen.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well DANG... That is exactly the feedback that I needed. Thanks so much.

Now my only problem is to go with the red and black Vigarello that is in stock and my size at the LBS or have him order the beautiful but scaled down Veloce. The Vigarello is really a better bike but the Veloce has CELESTE paint job and campy gear. The campy is just kinda nice on an Italian bike.

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Nekidewtons said:

Now my only problem is to go with the red and black Vigarello that is in stock and my size at the LBS or have him order the beautiful but scaled down Veloce. The Vigarello is really a better bike but the Veloce has CELESTE paint job and campy gear. The campy is just kinda nice on an Italian bike.

Campy, Celeste, Correcto!

· Registered
595 Posts
Nekidewtons said:

ask for an 05 Virata.. dealers are still able to get them and it's one hell of a bike. friend got a new one for around $1700 close-out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.