Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am an avid mountain biker and want to get into road cycling. I am in the market for the best bike for the least amount of money...isnt everyone? Anyways, I am looking into all of the companies I can think of and am still not sure. 1500ish would be my max. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like ultegra in the mix. I am a big guy, 6'5" 240 lbs. I noticed Tomasso tcr500 seemed to be an incredible deal. Does anyone know anything about Tomasso bikes? How do they compare in quality, ride etc..to companies like cannondale etc... Thanks everyone.

Shawn

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm curious about Tommaso bikes also, but there is so little feedback on them so far (none actually - I've searched these forums). I mean they advertise on this site, and they even have a no questions asked return policy too. Due to the prices, obviously the bikes are sourced in the Far East. The only negative thing I can discern is the seatstays look rather thin in the pics on their site. They advertise a 15 lb full carbon fiber build with full DuraAce for something like $2300 or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bigness712 said:
Hello everyone. I am an avid mountain biker and want to get into road cycling. I am in the market for the best bike for the least amount of money...isnt everyone? Anyways, I am looking into all of the companies I can think of and am still not sure. 1500ish would be my max. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like ultegra in the mix. I am a big guy, 6'5" 240 lbs. I noticed Tomasso tcr500 seemed to be an incredible deal. Does anyone know anything about Tomasso bikes? How do they compare in quality, ride etc..to companies like cannondale etc... Thanks everyone.

Shawn
I have an 04 Tomasso Capri, The frame is Just fine It's 6061 aluminum ane the geometry fits me well. I'd say all the low end frames are very similar so the componet mix and fit are the key. You are a big guy so make sure of the fit before you buy
you may need a 62-64cm. Hit all the local LBS. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks fellas.

Thanks guys. I guess I am just searching for info on these bikes...I am big so the fram might not hold up? I was told that the Cannondale CAAD frames are terrific. Seatstays need to be thicker than what is on the Tomasso? I am hung up on getting all ultegra. Am I dumb for wanting all ultegra? I have no idea on the ritchey aero wheels either. I tried to find info on them but had no luck. The Tomasso comes in only a 61 frame...may be too small.

Shawn

·
Registered
277 Posts
Check out Colorado Cyclist - they have a Douglas somethingoranother - Fusion ??? on sale now for $1400 and it's a great bike for the $$ if they have any sized 'jumbo' left. It's a good deal for the original price and an even better deal now...

Mother of god you're a giant. I'm 6'4" 212 and I don't see folks my size often. Nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha

Carlster-
Thanks for the tip on the Douglas bikes. I have looked into them as well. They are another "no name" company that seems to have awesome deals. Oh and I cracked up at your last line. I am def. huge. Hard to find clothes, shoes, BIKES!!! haha Working out has benefits though...hopefully the cardio will shed off 20 pounds. I am a wannabe Lance...just the clydesdale version. Thanks for the tip. Talk soon.

Shawn

·
Registered
896 Posts
size & lifting

3 months ago i was 215 at 5'11. 10% body-fat - all upper bpdy strength benching 405. i have now shed 15lbs put as i work my legs harder its easy to see the muscle mass migrating to my lower half. i want to balance out at 205, less than that i start to look skinny. watch out for the superlight ti eggbeaters and such, they are designed for lighter weight. btw - i never considered myself a clyde.....

Bigness712 said:
Carlster-
Thanks for the tip on the Douglas bikes. I have looked into them as well. They are another "no name" company that seems to have awesome deals. Oh and I cracked up at your last line. I am def. huge. Hard to find clothes, shoes, BIKES!!! haha Working out has benefits though...hopefully the cardio will shed off 20 pounds. I am a wannabe Lance...just the clydesdale version. Thanks for the tip. Talk soon.

Shawn

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
big guy bikes.

superlight ti eggbeaters? give me some examples. are you talking about the tommaso and such? what is good for a big guy?

shawn

·
Registered
789 Posts
I own a beautiful Tommaso all carbon, with Dura Ace and FSA RD 400 wheels. My riding style is aggressive and power oriented, hammering 53-18 @ 90-100 RPM during most of my 90 miles rides every Saturday, with nice flat and long roads. I purchased it from RS Scott Cycles at a price most people pay for a road bike with lesser quality(or slightly heavier) components, ie- Ultegra.
I weight 175 lbs and I am 69.5 inches tall, very stocky, like a track racer, ergo my preference for long rides with frequent intervals of power sprints. This bike is stiff like the old Gios, due to its tight seat stays. It does not flex at all when I am climbing or descending at 60 MPH. No wobbling either.
The FSA wheels are beautiful and fast. They spin like butter! You will be getting a lot of bike for the money and will not regret the experience! I bought my Tommaso last summer, and it felt like Christmas! Give RS Scott Cycles a call, or log in, their customer service is excellent! Happy riding!
Bigness712 said:
Thanks guys. I guess I am just searching for info on these bikes...I am big so the fram might not hold up? I was told that the Cannondale CAAD frames are terrific. Seatstays need to be thicker than what is on the Tomasso? I am hung up on getting all ultegra. Am I dumb for wanting all ultegra? I have no idea on the ritchey aero wheels either. I tried to find info on them but had no luck. The Tomasso comes in only a 61 frame...may be too small.

Shawn

·
Misplaced priorities?
352 Posts
Bigness712 said:
superlight ti eggbeaters? give me some examples. are you talking about the tommaso and such? what is good for a big guy?

shawn
Actually, Eggbeaters are a brand of pedal made by Crank Bros. They really do look like eggbeaters, and they are 1 of the lightest pedals on the market (especially the ones made w/ Ti). Such pedals & other weight-bearing components might not hold up for a person of your size.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool.

thanks guys...so the tcr500 would be ok for a guy my size? dont know much about the seat stay thickness and wheel durability or bottom bracket for a guy my size.

·
Registered
277 Posts
bauer - if you were benching 4 plates, I hope yo were squatting at least 5 'cause if not, you were one disproportionate guy. It sounds like you're working on the legs for cycling now - good luck.

712 - you also may want to check out Cannondale - their all AL bike is pretty solid and I think they have a model near your price range w/ decent mavic wheels (I'm running the K SL's and beat the heck out of them and have not knocked them out of true - thus you see a lot of cyclocrossers on them). Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks.

thanks carlster..i like cannondale alot...good quality. i def like the r900. dont know much about campagnolo components either. heard they are even better than shimano. thanks guys.

shawn

·
Misplaced priorities?
352 Posts
Them's fightin' words

Bigness712 said:
dont know much about campagnolo components either. heard they are even better than shimano. thanks guys.

shawn
Forgive this man for he knows not what he does. 712, you might want to put on some rain gear and grab yourself an umbrella b/c this thread could turn into a pissing match. :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
Fellow clydesdale weighs in

I am also 6'5" (but at 250 striving for 230). I rode a CAAD3 and then a CAAD5 Cannondale for quite awhile just for the sturdiness. Hard to say whether it was the long top tube or the stiff frames but I always had lower back soreness.

While I now have a custom Seven Ti, I also am a BIG (no pun intended) fan of good steel frames. I have a steel Bianchi 63cm frame that I love. It fits right and has the right amount of stiffness. I also don't have the same lower back issues, but again it may be because the top tube is about 1.5cm shorter than the 63cm Cannondales.

I would also run and hide for about a week or so based on your last post on Campy vs. Shimano! I ride both and they both have their merits. Get what you like based on feel and which shifting method you prefer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
whoa fellas!

hey guys be nice to the newbie...i am just getting into road cycling so i have no idea about anything. I am just going by what people have told me. i only sat on an r700 at a local bike shop thats all. i am just trying to get the most for money and a bike that fits me well. i have no idea how far the bike shop will even let me test ride a bike...they are situated on a crazy intersection. any tips would be appreciated from you guys. lower back strain is a concern...years of dead lifting. what should i look for...tube length etc...thanks fellas.

shawny

·
Registered
727 Posts
In regards to Campy versus Shimano, and Bigness's max spending limit of $1500: can anybody point me to a full bike with Campy Chorus for $1500??? :D Maybe you can get a full Campy Chorus groupset for that price, anyway. Now all you need is the frame, wheels, seat, bar, tires, saddle . . .

The Douglas Fusion is $1500 ($1400 now?) and comes with latest 10-spd Ultegra Flight Deck. A tic off top-of-the-line. The Campy equivalent of that is Chorus, and no way you will see that on a bike at that price. More than likely you will get Campy Veloce, two grades below Ultegra (off the bottom of the chart for Shimano), and that is a heavy groupset.

But the Douglas Fusion is an aberrant deal, anyway. I mean get 'em while they still come with an FSA Mego-EXO crank. I would be cautious if you are a big guy, though. While the bike comes with excellent Easton seatstays and fork, they look pretty slim to me. And the bike is conventional geometry so it might be pretty flexy (if you believe the conventional versus sloping theory on frame flex). The top tube is pentagonal Easton Alu, for what it's worth.

Here in Japan, it's even more extreme, the good deals you can get on full bikes with Shimano. Couple of weeks ago I saw a Colnago C50 on sale in a store with full DuraAce, including wheels. The bike was $4,444 U.S, with the yen rate :eek:. I mean the frame alone sells for $4,000 in the U.S.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bigness712 said:

Shawn
I don't normally reply, but since I actually own the bike you are asking about, you get my 2 cents worth.

It is a great bike and the Ultegra/FSA/Richey component combination is great. I am 6' and weigh 210' and I have had no problems at all. I have seen no problem with the frame or the wheels in handleing my weight. I am not a racer, but the bike is light and handles nicely. The max speed I have hit is 38 and there were no problems. I can't address higher speeds. I personnally did not like the seat, so prepare to replace it with one you will like.

My inseem is 31 and I started out to by a 56, but bought a 58 instead. I did this because I have a larger upper body. I can stand over the 58, just barely, however the when riding it, my upper body fits. My concern might be that a 61 might be a little small based on your height, and that is the largest frame they make. Other than that, I do not believe you will find a better component/frame combination for the same investment.

Call them and talk to them, they actually answer the phone and appear to be very knowledgeable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts