Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am looking into getting a new road bike and am wondering if anyone here in the forums has any experience with Tommasini frames. I currently live in Germany and can get a pretty good deal when purchasing them directly from Italy, but cannot easily go to check any out before taking the plunge. I know that frame fit is of utmost importance, but I am still looking to get people's impressions of them. Can anyone help me out? Thanks...

Ben

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news!

Yea, I was looking at either the regular Fire, or the one with the carbon back end. The shop here said he could build one of the Fires up for me, with complete Chorus group for just over two thousand euro, or about $2500. He is also trying to show me a few bikes from a company called Kuips, which is out of Spain. He didn't have any of the Tommasinis around to look at, but this Kuips handled pretty nice. The one thing that I don't like about it is the fact that it is alu/carbon. I have bad memories of an OLD Cannondale that made me lose all my fillings years ago and want to stay away from aluminium...

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Really only seen them in pictures

However I would have no problem buying one ride or sight unseen. Can only go by reputation on them. We sort of have the same problem here too, I have not come across a LBS that carries them. Now one of the local shops began carrying Masi again, also a beautiful frame but it is alu. Things have changed with alu frames, not as harsh or over built like the old 'dales.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Beautiful bikes.

They're making a fully-lugged frameset that builds up into a 17-18 pound bike. Perhaps the last of the great Italian framebuilders, now that Mondonico is retired. Every Tommasini I've ever seen has been a drooler.

--Shannon

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like it might just be a winner then! Now I will just have to talk the guy at the shop to order one for me instead of the Spanish bike that he wants to sell me... Thanks for all the replies...

·
Tommasini
121 Posts
You won't go wrong with a "Tommi"

From Tommasini I've had steel lugged of various sorts, several all alu, and several alu/carbon mix. Believe it or not in terms of ride "harshness" they all are somewhat similar in that the current alu and alu/carbon versions are pretty similar in "smoothness" to the steel so many of us grew up with. But then In terms of side-to-side stiffness the new alu and alu/carbon frames are way ahead of "old" steel. Their geometry is very middle of the road race bred - not layed back slow and not too twitchy. Lastly, you sometimes hear others complaining about fragile italian paintwork - their paint (and workmanship) is some of the most durable and well executed I've ever come accross.

Despite my forum web name I'm not associated with the Tommasini company other than that I've owned 8 (going on 9) of their frameset over the years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had to give up my Tommi last year, when I broke the frame. I almost cried. I said I'd never get another one, because I wouldn't be able to handle it if the frame broke again. Mine was full Chorus (the last year before the carbon shifters), full steel. A far cry from the Trek that replaced it.

My frame (Tecno) broke at the rear derailleur. The chain stay gave way from the lug back there, and though it was under warranty (only 2 years, keep that in mind), I would have had to pay for shipping to and from Italy, and they wouldn't be able to get the chrome to match the existing. However, I found out that my 220lbs was a bit much for the Nemo tubing, apparently rated for a rider of 160lbs. That said, I'd feel confident buying another one. I've since replaced the frame with a Ti bike (I race the Trek). The Ti feels very similar, and seems to have almost the same geometry. But I still pine for the days of rolling out on my Italian steel with Italian components for an 80 mile hammerfest.

TB

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great!

Hey, thanks for all the info guys! The more and more I look into it, the more I find myself wanting to pick up one of these. I just have to break it to my bike shop that I want him to order this and not sell me the bike he has in stock. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.