Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my newly built Tommasini Diamante. I'm trying to decide on the bar tape color...I'm leaning toward white, but the frame has pretty much every color on it except green, so maybe orange, or yellow. What do you think?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Definitely white - black wouldn't go with it. Yellow would be ok. Red would be overdoing it.
That sure looks to be a loooong stem you got there by the way.

·
We, the Mediocre...
49 Posts
White is the no-brainer answer here.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Need some inspiration? I've had this bike for going on 18 years and have had every color combination under the sun and I favor a red theme. You should know, the "white" on the frame is actually very pale blue. Stark white tape looks looks a bit out of place unless you have a white saddle and cages to match it. It still bothers me, but I'm picky. Hold a piece of bright white paper up to the "white" on the frame and you'll see what I mean.

I have to say I'm pretty surprised to see your bike. They are quite rare especially in this color, the "Colorado", a scheme that was exclusive to the retailer at the time in 1991, Colorado Cyclist. I've only seen one other identical frame on the road, and only a handful on ebay. I'll be posting more shots of mine in coming days.

:thumbsup:
brewster

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Additional Info

The frame is a 55cm. The stem is a 12cm Cinelli Pinocchio. I think the angle of the photo and the chrome on the stem make it look longer than it really is. Either way the 12cm stem is the right length for me and appropriate for a 55cm frame.

Brewster - I've got to tell you; I love the red seat and tape...very nice. I'd love to switch to the red, but the team I used to ride for had light blue shorts and all of the guys that used to ride colored saddles always had a wicked stain from their saddles.

I bought the frame off of Ebay a couple of weeks ago. It took forever for the guy to ship it, but when it came I was actually shocked at how good the condition was. It had a couple of minor chips, but didn't even have skewer clamp marks on the dropouts. Very rare for 1991 frame.

How do you have you cables run on the BB? When I built the bike I ran them through the braised on guides. On the rear derailleur the cable path looks fine, but on the front it has a hell of a bend (see pic). It doesn't seem to interfere with the shifting but I would think that it would eventually wear out the braze on.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Thanks for posting those pics, they bring back memories of my 2 Diamantes. I had a colonia white one, which was sort of a white/silver marble looking finish, and one of the Colorado paint schemes. Incrdeible bikes, far out tubing!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Great bikes...................reminds me of...........

The time a hot chick walked past me and a mate said "I'd love to suck the c**k of the guy who ****ed her last"!!! That's how I feel about those bikes. Very very cool.

As for livery. I don't care how comfy it is, bin the saddle. Buy a modern white Regal and go white Fizik perforated tape!!!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I am lovin' the saddle, frame, bar tape tie in...........

brewster said:
Need some inspiration? I've had this bike for going on 18 years and have had every color combination under the sun and I favor a red theme. You should know, the "white" on the frame is actually very pale blue. Stark white tape looks looks a bit out of place unless you have a white saddle and cages to match it. It still bothers me, but I'm picky. Hold a piece of bright white paper up to the "white" on the frame and you'll see what I mean.

I have to say I'm pretty surprised to see your bike. They are quite rare especially in this color, the "Colorado", a scheme that was exclusive to the retailer at the time in 1991, Colorado Cyclist. I've only seen one other identical frame on the road, and only a handful on ebay. I'll be posting more shots of mine in coming days.

:thumbsup:
brewster
Grrr, these bikes are just exactly what I love.

Just wait until my Colnago Tecons get's it's fork back frome being rechromed..........

·
We, the Mediocre...
49 Posts
DannyBoy said:
Buy a modern white Regal and go white Fizik perforated tape!!!
You know, I dont think the modern Ti white Regal's are made all that well. The leather seems to be really prone to this strange discoloration. I have a few white saddles and the one that gives me the most headache is the modern Regal, now having developed this strange smallpox of speckles that are a mixture of gray/purple. And the rivets are corroding a bit as will, this far too early. You see others mention this in various forums. My vintage San Marco Concor Supercorsa does not suffer from this at all. Actually, the leather quality on that modern Regal looks like a really low quality option compared to my vintage San Marcos. I'm looking for more used Regals after 1500 miles on the 2008 model seemed to be taking a negative turn.

On the tape, I pretty much converted to white Ambrosio Bike Ribbon on all my bikes, available at PBK when in stock for a whopping $2.27 (what's not to love about PBK unless it's that sorry "Currently Out of Stock" notice).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
abstrait said:
You know, I dont think the modern Ti white Regal's are made all that well. The leather seems to be really prone to this strange discoloration. I have a few white saddles and the one that gives me the most headache is the modern Regal, now having developed this strange smallpox of speckles that are a mixture of gray/purple. And the rivets are corroding a bit as will, this far too early. You see others mention this in various forums. My vintage San Marco Concor Supercorsa does not suffer from this at all. Actually, the leather quality on that modern Regal looks like a really low quality option compared to my vintage San Marcos. I'm looking for more used Regals after 1500 miles on the 2008 model seemed to be taking a negative turn.

On the tape, I pretty much converted to white Ambrosio Bike Ribbon on all my bikes, available at PBK when in stock for a whopping $2.27 (what's not to love about PBK unless it's that sorry "Currently Out of Stock" notice).
Bugger. I was going to load up on modern Regals! I think they've been re-released recently in a wider variety of finishes (along with other classic saddles), I wonder if these are any better?

I have an old original perforated white one and it's holding up well and looks good on my Mercian.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have the front derailleur cable routed the same as you but without the teflon sleaves. It makes a nice little channeled groove through the paint, but I've never had a problem with it. The design of the bottom bracket bridge between chainstays that the cable goes through makes a nice little dirt shelf. It's hard to get in there and clean it off, the space is so tight.

DannyBoy- I'm not sure what to say.....Thanks!??!.....I think...I'm not even sure if that's appropriate. :cryin:

Here's some more eye candy for you all to brighten your day.

brewster

1 - 20 of 21 Posts