Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone here has had any experience owning or riding the Tommasini Tecno? I recently saw one at my LBS and on appearances, it is a stunning piece of work. Unfortunately it was unassembled so I had no chance to ride it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
I used to lust after them 10-12 years ago when Colorado Cyclist sold them. Pretty much a standard Italian steel bike. Heavy by today's standard, but I'm sure it rides great. Should be moderately priced as I doubt they sell too many of them in Italy any more (everyone wants aluminium there).

·
Registered
59 Posts
CarboFire

I do not have any experience with the Techno, but I have a CarboFire which is UltraFoco Steel with Carbon Seat stays...it is a very sweet riding bike and built up with full DA it weighs in at just over 17 lbs. Even though I am probably going to sell it in the next 6 months, I cannot say enough good things about Tommasini...classic Italian hand workmanship, beautiful hand painting...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pmf said:
I used to lust after them 10-12 years ago when Colorado Cyclist sold them. Pretty much a standard Italian steel bike. Heavy by today's standard, but I'm sure it rides great. Should be moderately priced as I doubt they sell too many of them in Italy any more (everyone wants aluminium there).
I not a weight weenie (if fact, the weight loss should occur with me) but the Tecno isn't too bad and with the right components, should be very close to an Al framed bike. All I want is a nice steel lugged Italian frame - part work of art part racebike.

Is there anybody there who has experienced the Tecno or equivalent?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I ride a Tommasini Sintesi and love it...

similar to the Tecno, but built from Columbus Neuron tubing, bought it based largely on the many positive reviews here. Beautifully finished, a little heavy (but I don't care), and plenty stiff enough even in the 61cm size I ride...no complaints and it is the best bike I've ever owned..

bill2016 said:
I not a weight weenie (if fact, the weight loss should occur with me) but the Tecno isn't too bad and with the right components, should be very close to an Al framed bike. All I want is a nice steel lugged Italian frame - part work of art part racebike.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Some thoughts

bill2016 said:

Thanks.
If I'm not mistaken, the older Tecno used Columbus ELOS tubing whereas the newer ones are Dedacciai SAT14.5. Either way, good stuff. According the the Tommasini web site, a 55 cm Tecno weight 3.5 lbs. which is a very competitive weight these days for a steel frame. Actually, it seems a little light to me; might be a little flexy if you're a power rider.

Between these two tubesets, the SAT14.5 is likely to be lighter, and more flexable. Dedacciai changed the name of Zero into SAT14.5 a few years ago although it's likely that Tommasini has the tubes drawn special for them. At any rate, small difference.

Go for it. You're not likely to find a nicer riding frame, for any price.

Ed

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ukiahb said:
similar to the Tecno, but built from Columbus Neuron tubing, bought it based largely on the many positive reviews here. Beautifully finished, a little heavy (but I don't care), and plenty stiff enough even in the 61cm size I ride...no complaints and it is the best bike I've ever owned..
Ahhhh, that's why I want a Tommasini. The paint scheme you have there is absolutely stunning! Is the paint durable? I've heard some Italian frames do suffer from fade and wear quite easily.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
no trouble with the paint so far...

have had my bike about 18 months and about 5k miles, no fading and only a few chips that were my fault as the paint doesn't seem to be overly brittle or thin. Overall the quality of the frame and paint is very high, and the Sintesi isn't even one of the high end models. I like it well enough that I've been keeping my eye out for another Sintesi or a Tecno if I see a deal...they do show up on Ebay occasionally. BTW, there are some great photos of a Tecno (set up as a fixed gear) at http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2003/bignotti.htm

bill2016 said:
Ahhhh, that's why I want a Tommasini. The paint scheme you have there is absolutely stunning! Is the paint durable? I've heard some Italian frames do suffer from fade and wear quite easily.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I couldn't resist participating in this thread. This is my 1991 Tommasini Diamante. Columbus MS tubing. It's still my only ride, so that is why I decided to go Retro-Modern and use modern components. I added the Columbus Muscle fork. If I were to hang it on the wall, I may build it with period correct components.

I have had other bikes, but have sold them and came back to this frame. It fits like a glove, very well mannered handling, and in 13 years I've only seen one other just like it on the road.

brewster

·
Run Ride Run
67 Posts
Tommasini build up

I'd like to build up Tommasini steel bike. Anyone have knowledge to a good source of frames/complete bikes? Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
MS- Multi shaped

A great and now rarely seen tubeset. I see you've updated your bike to include all the mod-cons including a carbon fork. Better or just different from the steel fork? Nice ride.

brewster said:
I couldn't resist participating in this thread. This is my 1991 Tommasini Diamante. Columbus MS tubing. It's still my only ride, so that is why I decided to go Retro-Modern and use modern components. I added the Columbus Muscle fork. If I were to hang it on the wall, I may build it with period correct components.

I have had other bikes, but have sold them and came back to this frame. It fits like a glove, very well mannered handling, and in 13 years I've only seen one other just like it on the road.

brewster

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I think Tommasini is one of the last true framesets.

I would go for it. Tommasini is still made in-house by the Tommasini family. It is so hard to find a steel frame that has chrome and beautiful lugs like they provide.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My Diamante

boneman said:
A great and now rarely seen tubeset. I see you've updated your bike to include all the mod-cons including a carbon fork. Better or just different from the steel fork? Nice ride.
Oh, how wonderful the MS tubeset is. Truly a magic carpet ride...

Here's mine.

Yeah, I know the Dura-Ace is sacrelege on this frameset, but I have C-Record from the same period, and prefer the SIS shifting of the Dura-Ace versus the retrofriction of the Campy...

·
Tommasini
121 Posts
Check Tommasini's website.....

Brie Dog said:
I'd like to build up Tommasini steel bike. Anyone have knowledge to a good source of frames/complete bikes? Thanks all!
Consider checking Tommasini's website as they have 1 year old (or there about) used bikes at very reasonable prices. Add in $75 or so to ship to the US and you'd have a sticken deal. (Despite my web name I'm not associated with Tommasini....just happy to currently be riding my 6, 7th, and 8th Tommasini purchases)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
boneman said:
The carbon fork definiately provided a more dampened road feel, no doubt about that. It mutes the road chatter, and deadens the sharp "zings" felt through the bars with the steel fork on an uneven road. For ultimate handling, say switchbacks on a long descent, I would feel more confident with my old steel fork. But for most normal circumstances, I'd take the carbon, plus it shaves tons of weight off the bike.

brewster

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Duke249 said:
Oh, how wonderful the MS tubeset is. Truly a magic carpet ride...

Here's mine.

Yeah, I know the Dura-Ace is sacrelege on this frameset, but I have C-Record from the same period, and prefer the SIS shifting of the Dura-Ace versus the retrofriction of the Campy...
duke- I feel some sort of special bond of brotherhood here. Diamantes are pretty rare these days. Yours is the Magniflex Red color scheme. I couldn't decide between your color and my Colorado scheme. They only made one other in 91, that was the Magniflex Blue which was sky blue and white with similar top tube graphics as on yours.

I'm curious about your seatpost. I can't see it close enough to tell what it is. 25.0 posts are hard to find. You don't get many options. I have an old DA post in 25.0, and this current black AM Classic. I'd like to find a Campy C-Record in 25.0, you know the one, with it's aero top half and Campy "shield" engraved in the side. I haven't ran across one yet.

You have a nice bike! It warms my heart. :)

brewster

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
bill2016 said:
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone here has had any experience owning or riding the Tommasini Tecno? I recently saw one at my LBS and on appearances, it is a stunning piece of work. Unfortunately it was unassembled so I had no chance to ride it.

Thanks.

Sorry, I have never rode one, but looking at this bike made me marvel over it! I had decided on getting a Colnago MXL but now I kind of like the looks of this one better. Now I wonder who has an answer for this question: what is the difference in the frame quality of the Tommasini Tecno and the Colnago MXL.

·
Tommasini
121 Posts
Can't vouch for the nago - but the Tommi is top notch

froze said:
Sorry, I have never rode one, but looking at this bike made me marvel over it! I had decided on getting a Colnago MXL but now I kind of like the looks of this one better. Now I wonder who has an answer for this question: what is the difference in the frame quality of the Tommasini Tecno and the Colnago MXL.
I can't vouch for the Colnago quality - had one once years ago and it was "ok". My first Tommasini came 2 bikes later (1984) and it was a superior ride to anything prior at the time - they mixed tubing (SL & SP steel) in my size that led to it having a much better tuned ride. But that's a long ways from today's steels anyways. Beside clean lug work I will also note that since I started getting Tommasinis back in '84 right up to today their paint has been some of the most durable and cleanly done (and pretty) I've ever seen.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts