Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own/ride this frame? I recently found their website and you can custom paint this frame which looks and seems to be 100% Italian hand made steel. I saw one once on a ride but he did not stop. Spoke to the importer and he was very accomodating saying it was a stiff well made frame. Any comparisons to a Derosa NeoPrimato or Colnago MXL would be appreciated. Photos on web site are great; what is the reality. I have eliminated the Cinelli supercorsa in this group of potential new for me frames.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I dont have a Tecno, but have a Sintesi and a Super Prestige, similar Tommasini frames made from different tubing, and both are excellent....beautifully made, excellent paint and a great ride on both. I got into Tommsini lugged steel frames based on the many positive comments here, can't remember reading anything negative.....anyway, do a search on the forums here, lots of info is available...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a tecno made of the Niobium tubing. The lugs were beautiful and I really enjoyed riding it. But the tubing had a 160 lb rider limit that was not disclosed to this 215 lb rider. As such, the frame broke. The drive side chain stay came out of the lug at the rear derailleur. It was within the 2 year warranty period, but I would have had to pay shipping to and from Italy. Not worth it to me.

It was a great bike and I will again own a Tommasini steel bike, but make sure you know the weight limits of the tubing. Nothing against the builder, but full disclosure would have been nice.

TB

·
Registered
216 Posts
The prettiest steel ride on the market in my opinion and I'm just sad that I don't have one (yet). I keep watching eBay for a Sintesi or Tecno in my size.

PS -- hello Baylorboy! I'm a Baylor grad myself (late 80s, though).

·
off the back
15,593 Posts
baylor said:
The prettiest steel ride on the market in my opinion and I'm just sad that I don't have one (yet). I keep watching eBay for a Sintesi or Tecno in my size.

PS -- hello Baylorboy! I'm a Baylor grad myself (late 80s, though).
me too, preferably an older one made of EL-OS. haven't seen too many in my size, and those that were didn't have chromed lugs, a pre-requisite.

one day, I will have one.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've owned a Tommasini Diamante for 16 years now. Old school Columbus MS tubing, chrome lugs, fork and rear triangle. I would not ever sell it. I've had many other more modern frames that have have come and gone, but I still come back to my Tommasini. You will not be disappointed.

brewster

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The more I research this the more I am surprised this frame is not more popular. It seems only four shops sell them. The comment about rider limit is worrisome I will check it out although the steel is now dedacciai 14.5 (zero) which I think is fairly sturdy but I'm no metallurgist . Deciding the color scheme is fun. appreciate the feedback so far.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
you can buy them from the usa distributor, http://www.ridetommasini.com/frames/tecno.html the site doesn't mention the price

Saw a tommasini tecnoextra which was made of NEMO tubing at the LBS tonight. It had a chrome fork and the down tube had been shaped , two tone paint (blue/white) chrome drive side chainstay. the build quality was on par with a colnago MXL., the chainstays matched the MXL next too it. Tommasini USA doesn't list this frame, too bad but if the tecno is even close it will be fine. chrome forks either straight or curved are very cool.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CMG: since you saw it in the flesh, what did you think of the paint finish especially compared to the mxl. I am spoiled since my steely has a Joe Bell finish which is flawless.The mxl is the only other frame I am considering. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
the frame had a dark blue base with white accents. the white looked hand painted but probably stenciled not the sort of air brushed stenciling that is on the MXL. Not as many colors as whats on the MXL. The head tube was chromed as was the drive side stay along with the fork.. the lug work is on par IMO to the Colnago MXL. the tommasini has there own seat tube/stay lug. The tecno extra i saw was made from Nemo tubing, down tube was shaped. it had short butts (compared to my cinelli super corsa), i kept banging on the tubes at the LBS. Picture these with dark blue instead of black.

This is a RBR discusion of the Tecno; http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=8053

the Tommasini site says they'll custom build it for the buyer, doesn't mention price.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
AlexCad5 said:
Mondonico retired two years ago.
from the smart cycles site:
We have purchased the entire remaining stock of Futura Legerro and DIAMOND EXTRA models made by the legendary hands of Antonio Mondonico himself. Antonio has retired from building frames after over 50 years of crafting the finest road bikes in the world! While the MONDONICO label will live on in full handmade glory, ANTONIO HIMSELF NO LONGER IS THE BUILDER. His son, Mauro, now directs the brothers Taverna from Lombardi, Italy to handcraft fine Italian lugged frames to the level of quality that Mondonico frames are known for. The technical difference will be that new Mondonico frames will no longer be PINNED before lugging. Contact us for more info on the remaining frames or if you have questions about the transition to the Taverna shop, etc.

What attracted me to Mondonico was i thought i could buy one of the last frames. the frame list had some possiblities but then Smart mentioned a custom frame, help in select tubing, paint and clearcoat and a chrome fork.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you punk you got one before me! Great photos almost the color I will order. Is that the midnight blue? Also where did you get it and $ paid if you don't mind and how long to get it. Is the paint well applied ........................john

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
I was playing around on their site the other day, and decided that blue with white logos but none of that decorative stuff on the top tube would be the way I would get mine done.

are the 'decals' painted? while overall it looks nice, the paint fill on that seat lug looks rough

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's a standard 52cm frame with round tubes. Colors are midnight blue with pearl white writing. I also included a threadless Air fork with the frame. I purchased from Nelo's Pro Cycles in Austin. They were very helpful during the entire process. The damage came out to a hair under $1700 for the frame, fork, and shipping. I also thought about a Mondonico but the frame I was considering was over $2K.

I didn't take a photo of the downtube logo. The chainstay logos are decals. Attached is the TT graphic and chainstay decal. While I'm pleased with the construction, there are a few paint imperfections on the TT graphic and the seat lug "T" as FatTireFred pointed out. Not enough for me to worry about, but hope the paint doesn't chip as easily as some other Italian bike paint jobs.

I'll post more pics after I'm done building it up. Can't seem to find the 3T silver light stem anywhere, though, since all the stems now seem to be black.

-H

1 - 20 of 32 Posts