Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been searching for a bike for my dad who is about 50 and he wants a good quality, more comfortable bike for club type rides but doesn't want to spend more than about $900. He has test ridden some bikes and really isn't satisfied with the tiagra group and would perfer 105 stuff much more (i think a wise choice). So we've been looking a used bikes mostly since its the only way you can good 105 bikes for that price. But then I found brands like Tommaso where the TR 300 is 105 aluminum new for $699, and frankly thats sounds fishy. The only reviews on this website i got were for guys who didn't sound like they knew what they were talking about. So if anyone has any input on this brand or any other online deals like it, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Tomasso and Mo* are generic bikes made in Taiwan or mainland China. I believe they are legally required to either post the country of origin on their web site or tell you if you inquire. I don't think the frame or components are any worse than what you find in bike shops at the same price level, however the quality of assembly is reportedly not great. If you have a Performance bike shop (or similar) in your area, my advice is to look there for discount bikes. At least at Performance, you will be able to test ride the bikes, inspect the quality of their assembly, get help with fitting, and they will usually throw in free tune-ups for a year or so.

Also look in mainstream bike shops for closeouts on last years models. These are often discounted up to 1/3 off retail, making them better buys than the mail order bikes.

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
While I fully agree with Johnny99 I would add that if you decide to go online don't let price alone be you tipping point. Of the lower priced online dealers (performance, RS cycles, BD, et al) some will provide better sevice than others. $900 is a large chunk of change and should not be spent without conifidence in the company and the product. While they all will deliver a decent product not all will provide the service.

Some company advertise that they don't have phones becuase it saves you so much per bike. If 1% of my money goes towards allowing me to speak to someone if any problems or questions arise, I will gladly pay it.

Good Luck!

Your Dad is lucky to have you helping him and sounds like you are lucky to have him as well.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
The debate re: the wisdom of buying online, particularly for the new rider, is all over this board. There's no question that these are "legitimate" bikes in that they are real live bicycles, with components, usually waranties, and not fictitious scams. There are people riding all of these kinds of bikes (Tommasso, Motobecane, etc.) without complaints.

There are also those who have made purchasing mistakes buying online, often with regard to sizing, or those who have received their mail order bikes only to find them poorly built and have to take them to the LBS.

I personally do not favor a brand new road cyclist trying to save a few bucks online, because I think the value that comes from shopping in person, having a relationship with a local bike shop, and maybe even the free adjustments/repairs that come with a purchase, are worth more than the $$ saved by buying online.

There are others on this board who feel differently, but I'm comfortable with my position on the issue.

·
Banned
476 Posts
It is not a few bucks

Smart shoppers can save several hundred to over a thousand dollars by purchasing online

on bikes that dealers charge over $2000 for - a smart buyer can save 40% to 50% - without any trouble

To most buyers $500, $800, or $1200 is more than a few bucks

Sizing is not rocket science
nor is bike setup

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
collectorvelo said:
Smart shoppers can save several hundred to over a thousand dollars by purchasing online

on bikes that dealers charge over $2000 for - a smart buyer can save 40% to 50% - without any trouble
Are you talking about saving 50% on the exact same model that is sold in a bike shop? Or are you buying a cheaper off-brand that is "comparable" to a name brand bike?

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
You cannot buy the same bike. You can buy a generic frame with nice components online. What you are getting by "saving" 50% is a $100 frame with nice components...

I'm not opposed to the online bikes such as Tomasso or Ibex but it is just pure BS to suggest they are a 50% savings a bike purchased in a shop.

A smart shopper will make their own decision based upon wants/needs not on sales hype. For some of us, a $100 generic frame might be fine. For others a generic aluminum frame mass produced in a factory is not of any interest....There is nothing wrong with either approach but NEITHER is the right way for everyone

Please do us all a favor and quit insulting our intelligence. Despite what you continue to say this is not a apples to apples comparison.

G

·
Why not go to your favourite LBS and check out the trade-ins?

Many of the ones I see at the LBS I go to the most would be very good bikes with a good cleaning and some new bar tape.

·
Banned
476 Posts
this is just wrong

Dave Hickey said:
You cannot buy the same bike. You can buy a generic frame with nice components online. What you are getting by "saving" 50% is a $100 frame with nice components...

I'm not opposed to the online bikes such as Tomasso or Ibex but it is just pure BS to suggest they are a 50% savings a bike purchased in a shop.

A smart shopper will make their own decision based upon wants/needs not on sales hype. For some of us, a $100 generic frame might be fine. For others a generic aluminum frame mass produced in a factory is not of any interest....There is nothing wrong with either approach but NEITHER is the right way for everyone

Please do us all a favor and quit insulting our intelligence. Despite what you continue to say this is not a apples to apples comparison.
There are lots of examples of bikes online that are exactly the same bike as sold in dealers and at 50% off --

sometimes the bikes have different decals than the bikes in the dealers -- buy same frame, fork, and components

plus there are plenty of online bikes where the frame is nicer than compable bikes in shops that are twice as much money

the same agruements existed when computers and cameras and etc started being sold online for less money

I have had camera dealers tell me that the 'discounted' online guys were selling seconds - which is clearly horse hockey

the agruement that any good deal online is on a bike with a less expensive frame - clearly does not hold water

·
Banned
476 Posts
depending on dealer

I have seen some dealers have nice trade ins - but every limited numbers
and they tend to still be priced more than an online bike
and finding your size is an issue

online sellers will likely have your correct size and be cheaper than even a fairly new used bike

·
Administrator
13,146 Posts
collectorvelo said:
There are lots of examples of bikes online that are exactly the same bike as sold in dealers and at 50% off --

sometimes the bikes have different decals than the bikes in the dealers -- buy same frame, fork, and components

plus there are plenty of online bikes where the frame is nicer than compable bikes in shops that are twice as much money

the same agruements existed when computers and cameras and etc started being sold online for less money

I have had camera dealers tell me that the 'discounted' online guys were selling seconds - which is clearly horse hockey

the agruement that any good deal online is on a bike with a less expensive frame - clearly does not hold water
Hilarious- while spreading the typical bikesdirect type nonsense about local bike shops you accuse others of "horse hockey".

Myths spread here:

1. You can save 50%. False, at best you are looking at saving around 20% off of MRSP (if anyone actually still pays that anymore). Of course, this is never an apples to apples comparison. The frame is almost never comparable in quality, the parts groups are never complete groupos, the wheels are always subpar, cheap and fragile, the contact controls are the cheapest of the cheap. Certain parts are being blown out for a reason.

2. The prices are rarely much better then what you can get at Performance, especially with their very frequent sales and buyers club, and you can actually ride the thing first. Often Performance's sales prices are better and you end up with a overall higher quality bike. Also, Ebay, RBR Classified or Craig's list are often much better deals too, if you are going to take a risk, might as well as save more and get a decent first or second tier bike.

3. It's the same exact bike sold at dealers. Except its not. This is a favorite gambit of the $100 frameset, clearance parts group web site shills. These are not the same frame used by first or even second tier manufacturers. Maybe third or fourth tier marginal brands at best. The ones that are often sold at perfomance or supergo's for the same price though. Oops. Notice they never say which brand- because at best it's a relatively crappy brand often sold at steep discounts.

4. There is no free lunch, and the cheap frame/clearance parts assemblers make just as much margin as everyone else. Don't believe the nonsense and be skeptical of their fake MRSP's and overblown comparison claims- they are highly likely to be any better then the scattante type stuff sold at performance, and unlikely to be much cheaper either.

5. Examine the posting histories, the bolder the claims the harder you should look. Don't fall for someone fresh out of viral marketing 101.

:rolleyes:

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
What?

collectorvelo said:

Okay, I am thinking about purchasing a Tommasso, but I would NEVER compare it to an Orbea or more expensive bike. YOU GET WHAT you pay for. I have purchased online electronic gear before, and for the most part it is second rate compared to the top name brands.
To state that they are actually nicer than store bought frames...well, now I think you're losing it.

To the OP, IF you know your sizing, and don't just rely on 1 inseam measurement, it's more complicated than that. AND, you are comfortable doing your own wrenching, than you can find some good deals online. Some dealers are probably better than others, just like some LBS's are better than others, I personally would not deal with BikesDirect, but that is only MY opinion, others will feel differently. RS cycles seems like a good outfit, as does Performance, but again, others may feel differently.

·
Banned
476 Posts
your percentages are off -- and your comparions too

Coolhand said:
Hilarious- while spreading the typical bikesdirect type nonsense about local bike shops you accuse others of "horse hockey".

Myths spread here:

1. You can save 50%. False, at best you are looking at saving around 20% off of MRSP (if anyone actually still pays that anymore). Of course, this is never an apples to apples comparison. The frame is almost never comparable in quality, the parts groups are never complete groupos, the wheels are always subpar, cheap and fragile, the contact controls are the cheapest of the cheap. Certain parts are being blown out for a reason.

2. The prices are rarely much better then what you can get at Performance, especially with their very frequent sales and buyers club, and you can actually ride the thing first. Often Performance's sales prices are better and you end up with a overall higher quality bike. Also, Ebay, RBR Classified or Craig's list are often much better deals too, if you are going to take a risk, might as well as save more and get a decent first or second tier bike.

3. It's the same exact bike sold at dealers. Except its not. This is a favorite gambit of the $100 frameset, clearance parts group web site shills. These are not the same frame used by first or even second tier manufacturers. Maybe third or fourth tier marginal brands at best. The ones that are often sold at perfomance or supergo's for the same price though. Oops. Notice they never say which brand- because at best it's a relatively crappy brand often sold at steep discounts.

4. There is no free lunch, and the cheap frame/clearance parts assemblers make just as much margin as everyone else. Don't believe the nonsense and be skeptical of their fake MRSP's and overblown comparison claims- they are highly likely to be any better then the scattante type stuff sold at performance, and unlikely to be much cheaper either.

5. Examine the posting histories, the bolder the claims the harder you should look. Don't fall for someone fresh out of viral marketing 101.

:rolleyes:
First - it does not matter if it is bikesdirect, scott, performance, pricepoint, ibex, or some other online seller -- you can save way over 20% on higher level bikes thru the internet -- especially Ultegra and DuraAce level

Second - there are lots of exact bikes sold on-line as sold in dealers - not that being exact matters -- as almost all bikes are made in the same factories and use the same components

Thrid -- it makes no sense to agrue that sellers online can not reduce costs and increase volume -- this is a proven marketing format. you can get almost any higher priced item for less by going to an online store or to ebay. Does matter if it is a cranset, a bike, a camera, a computer, or violin. If you can ship it - you can save money by buying online

·
Registered
509 Posts
my recent experience...

I was wondering whether to go the internet route or the lbs route recently. I did a fair amount of searching around the internet and test riding some bikes at shops and ended up purchasing from a shop. I am glad that I did. I really could not find a bike online that I fell in love with the looks of. After a couple of weeks on my lbs bike that I was fitted on (in which they swapped in different stems and changed seat fore and aft and seatpost length) I someone broke my crank and brought it in and had it replaced right away. I could only imagine the hassle if that happened with a bikesdirect bike, I probably made up any price difference right there.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
collectorvelo said:
Please give us some specific examples. Exactly what name brand bike is identical to what mail order bike that costs 50% less?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tommaso is better than other brands

It is just amazing. How these arguments go on and on. First of all we are all looking for proper info so I have no problem with any of the posts. I do have my own opinion though.

1. Tommaso is not to be put in same category as other generic brands. They still make bikes in italy and are sold in europe to dealers (if that makes anyone feel better, frankly I could care less it shouldn't legitimize a brand)

In North America tommaso is currently sold direct through its North American Distributer Randall Scott. Randall Scott is located in Boulder Colorado and they know more then 99%of any shop out their.

When I purchased my Tommaso carbon bike (tcf 1000r) I asked the sales rep why they didn't distribute the brand in North America to dealers. They said once they do this the price will have to increase 30% for the dealer. The dealer's dont pay, and they will not provide a proper forum for the bikes to be sold at.

This makes sense to me. So I purchased the bike and love it. I have owned Litespeed, Trek and even a seven. Yes a seven. (11k) but amazing quality.

I honestly can say that the service of randall scott and the quality of tommaso (not generic at all) won me over. I could go on and on but it is starting to sound like I work for them. Just have to say one more thing. Like no other online company Tommaso's arrive with a LIFETIME GUARANTEE, a thirty day no questions asked return. So yes, you can ride the bike and if you dont like it return it for full refund. Better than my LBS would do for me.

In conclusion (wow this is long) I would recommend Tommaso and randall scott. I do this because they are a relatively small company and they are able to stick around with personal revies like this!

·
Banned
476 Posts
they replaced for free

tron said:
I was wondering whether to go the internet route or the lbs route recently. I did a fair amount of searching around the internet and test riding some bikes at shops and ended up purchasing from a shop. I am glad that I did. I really could not find a bike online that I fell in love with the looks of. After a couple of weeks on my lbs bike that I was fitted on (in which they swapped in different stems and changed seat fore and aft and seatpost length) I someone broke my crank and brought it in and had it replaced right away. I could only imagine the hassle if that happened with a bikesdirect bike, I probably made up any price difference right there.

let me get this straight
you broke your crank and a dealer got you a new one for free
if that is true - that is extremely good service

still not enough value to make up for the price difference between online and shop prices
but a free crank for one you broke is more than any dealer I have ever dealt with would do

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
So how the heck do you measure value? Waiting for weeks trying to email a company which has no phone number (yeah, yeah, I know. . .they gave you one a long time ago but you don't have it anymore) arguing with them trying to get the part replaced (assuming it was faulty) while not being able to ride your bike or walking into the shop and having them replace it? Crazy.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
collectorvelo said:
there are several Motobecane bikes and Fuji bikes that are the same

lots of postings about that here on the forums
OK, show me a Fuji that costs 50% more than an identical Motobecane. Can't do it, can you? The Fuji may be a little bit more, but not that much.

To answer the OP's question, yes, there are legitimate brands available on the internet. I think Ibex, BD, Leader, and several others make decent products. They may not have the bling or name of other bikes, but they will work. I would worry about fit though, and that may influence the enjoyment of a new cyclist.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.