Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even know how to comment on his continued bad luck:

http://www.tomdanielson.com/pages/08/may_update.html

"Unfortunately, I have been dealing with an allergic reaction to something in our bottles since the race started and its gotten worse. It seems my body doesn't like an ingredient in one of our types of drinks and it results in me feeling nauseous in and out, achy muscles, and hives all over. Each day it got a little worse and today I was full blown in the hurt locker. I sprinted around the circuit for an hour finally actually listening to my body to stop hurting it."

but he is on the schedule for the TdF

revised schedule:
http://www.tomdanielson.com/pages/sched.htm

· Registered
6,422 Posts
This man...

bas said:
Christian will probably be tired after the Giro..

So.I guess that leaves Tommy D as the team leader??
Tommy D has more excuses than any other person that I've ever seen race a bike.

Now it's something in the bottles? There was some sort of virus at some point in time right? Then something else. Then something else. Then he gets sick apparently at every race he's ever been in.

He WON'T be team leader. Why? He'll never finish the race.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
magnolialover said:
Tommy D has more excuses than any other person that I've ever seen race a bike.

Now it's something in the bottles? There was some sort of virus at some point in time right? Then something else. Then something else. Then he gets sick apparently at every race he's ever been in.

As much as I'd like to, I can't disagree with you these days until he proves something.

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Exactly--no way someone who hasn't finished a TdF (or any other Grand Tour, as far as I know) would be named team leader.

If Tommy D doesn't perform at Catalunya, I doubt he'll be on the TdF roster at all.

magnolialover said:

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jorgy said:
Exactly--no way someone who hasn't finished a TdF (or any other Grand Tour, as far as I know) would be named team leader.

If Tommy D doesn't perform at Catalunya, I doubt he'll be on the TdF roster at all.
The Stage 17 win was when he helped Vino who gifted him the stage.

2 vueltas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Danielson

* 7th Overall, Vuelta a España

* 6th Overall, Vuelta a España (and Stage 17 win)

· Registered
2,177 Posts
I want him to be successful. and i always feel bad for guys that get injured. But he could be the most injury prone pro-athlete i've ever heard of.
I don't see him even making it to the first climb in the Tour. Can you imagine if he was in Italy? He'd be out after the first pothole.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
I really hope he finishes the race this time and does well. Like, seriously. Ya, I mean it.

Let's keep him in a clean room and let him ride the sterilized trainer everyday from now till then.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Slipstream is going into the TdF as a feel good team. The ASO is giving it's approval to how the team's run. No way no how they have GC aspirations. I bet they don't even name a leader, and numbers will be assigned in alphabetical order. I think they have good chances at some stage wins though, both road stages and Time Trial (though Cancellara will probably be in top form and hard to beat.)

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
I think Trent Lowe could ride well perhaps seeing as how he has improved greatly.

But, I don't think he can TT too well though but he could do decent enough at the Tour.

· Registered
6,422 Posts
Hmm...

bas said:
The Stage 17 win was when he helped Vino who gifted him the stage.

2 vueltas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Danielson

* 7th Overall, Vuelta a España

* 6th Overall, Vuelta a España (and Stage 17 win)
While a top 10 isn't anything to sneeze at, let's put them into perspective a touch:

2005, 7th place at 16'38"
2006 6th place at 8'09"

'06 was definitely better, but.. Still, 8 minutes down. Ouch.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
magnolialover said:
While a top 10 isn't anything to sneeze at, let's put them into perspective a touch:

2006 6th place at 8'09"

Still, thats about 80 hours quicker than I could do that route.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
magnolialover said:

2006 6th place at 8'09"

Lance averaged about 6 minutes between him and 2nd place, except for that one year which was really close, and the last year Basso was 4 minutes off.

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdfindex.html

· Registered
960 Posts
Still have the fingers crossed.

I would have to agree that Slipstream has gotten an invite due to Vaughter's efforts to keep the team at the forefront of all the doping policies. However, to count them as a "feel-good" team only might be over stepping it a bit. They have a bunch of very talent riders (maybe not great GC hopes but talented riders).

And I still think Tommy D can be a GC contender... :thumbsup:
Not Lance, Killin' everybody... but a contender... :rolleyes:
Of course he's gonna have to get those climbing skillz back that he had during the TdGeorgia back in 05 or he'll get trashed by the likes of Soler, Contador (although he won't be there) and others.

· Registered
6,422 Posts
I've said it before, I'll say it again...

Sprocket - Matt said:
I would have to agree that Slipstream has gotten an invite due to Vaughter's efforts to keep the team at the forefront of all the doping policies. However, to count them as a "feel-good" team only might be over stepping it a bit. They have a bunch of very talent riders (maybe not great GC hopes but talented riders).

And I still think Tommy D can be a GC contender... :thumbsup:
Not Lance, Killin' everybody... but a contender... :rolleyes:
Of course he's gonna have to get those climbing skillz back that he had during the TdGeorgia back in 05 or he'll get trashed by the likes of Soler, Contador (although he won't be there) and others.
Danielson will never, repeat, never be a grand tour contender. It just isn't going to happen. He is a lot more suited to shorter stage races, Dauphine, Tour de Suisse, and the like. About a week long, after that, his "fragile" constitution seems to break down on him, and let him down. He tends to get sick, or eat something bad, or have some sort of viral infection, or basically, he stinks.

He will never be able to keep up with the "big dogs" in a grand tour day after day in the mountains. Which is why he'll never be a GC threat. Sure, he might finish top 10, or even top 15 here and there, but he'll never win a grand tour, and especially not a Tour de France.

· Registered
3,096 Posts
I had high hopes for Danielson when he first appeared on the scene. But as stated above, bad luck (karma?), fragile constitution, sickness, injuries, have plagued his career.

Every year it seems to be something.

· Registered
172 Posts
magnolialover said:
Danielson will never, repeat, never be a grand tour contender. It just isn't going to happen. He is a lot more suited to shorter stage races, Dauphine, Tour de Suisse, and the like. About a week long, after that, his "fragile" constitution seems to break down on him, and let him down. He tends to get sick, or eat something bad, or have some sort of viral infection, or basically, he stinks.

He will never be able to keep up with the "big dogs" in a grand tour day after day in the mountains. Which is why he'll never be a GC threat. Sure, he might finish top 10, or even top 15 here and there, but he'll never win a grand tour, and especially not a Tour de France.
Agreed. If you remember there was always a common thread in TD's interviews in the cycling pubs, about learning and being in the right spot in the peloton in order to avoid wasting energy. These comments always about "I am learning". Lance won his first tour at 27. Merckx was 24 and won his first TDF. Hinault was a young lad too. TD is really just happy to be there and does not have the killer instinct necessary to be a team leader much less a Grand Tour contender.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.