Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tom Danielson will be the team leader for the 2006 Vuelta, JB said on thepaceline.com today. If it works out, I'd finally like to see what a protected Tom Danielson can do. JB also said he'd be on the 2007 Tour team.

Oh and BTW, it must be cold in hell. Danny Pate won a race today. :D

·
Booo-yaaawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
549 Posts
Mootsie said:
Tom Danielson will be the team leader for the 2006 Vuelta, JB said on thepaceline.com today. If it works out, I'd finally like to see what a protected Tom Danielson can do. JB also said he'd be on the 2007 Tour team.

Oh and BTW, it must be cold in hell. Danny Pate won a race today. :D
What race?

G

·
bas said:
They better let him attack in the moutains today and see how far he can get away from Basso and see if can get time on Basso.
Based on Johan's comments, I only see that happening if Savoldelli really implodes today and gives TD the go ahead because he's too cooked. I think that it is unlikely to play out that way though.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Td

AJL said:
From thepaceline.com: (Johan Bruyneel)
Tom's not having as strong a Giro as I expected. I really expected him to be there with Savoldelli.

I'm not getting JB's comments. "If he finishes out the Giro as he's riding now" ??

He's top 10 prior to today... but after today? or tomorrow?

He's not climbing well enough, and that's his forte'.

I admit, I was one rooting for TD, but his performace at the Giro is not where I expected it to be.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
AJL said:
Based on Johan's comments, I only see that happening if Savoldelli really implodes today and gives TD the go ahead because he's too cooked. I think that it is unlikely to play out that way though.
Rubiera might have a better shot at team leadership than TommyD after today. And Rubiera or Azevedo might be better picks for Vuelta too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wondering about TD

Per Cycling news:

17:50 CEST
Tom Danielson comes in 7'02" down.

Count me among the folks who were hoping to see TD do something in the Giro, but so far he has been popped off the back every time the road goes up. He can't even seem to hang with Savoldelli on the climbs. Somewhat disappointing.

Dave

G

·
55x11 - it's looking that way. Don't know where Rubiera or Azevedo finished yet, but TD was something like 7 mins down from Basso - putting him down ~15 minutes total. His physio stats may be great, but it doesn't look like he's a contender yet for a GT tour. He just doesn't have the experience and endurance to be at the top of the class yet.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
AJL said:
55x11 - it's looking that way. Don't know where Rubiera or Azevedo finished yet, but TD was something like 7 mins down from Basso - putting him down ~15 minutes total. His physio stats may be great, but it doesn't look like he's a contender yet for a GT tour. He just doesn't have the experience and endurance to be at the top of the class yet.
Take the "yet"s out of that and you are right, and he has at least as much experience as Cunego and Sella so that excuse is getting very old unless his brain has a teflon coating that prevents things from sticking.

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Newsflash!!!

Newsflash: 5/23/06:

Danielson signs with T-Mobile so he can steal Oscar Sevilla's "I Coulda Been A Contender" jersey. Teflon and all.

·
It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
He was held back for a couple of stages.

He had to drop back in 2 stages to work with Savoldelli. As a result he lost his top 5 position, and JB made that comment probably out of guilt for holding him back. I think today was Chechu's turn to work with Savoldelli and they let Tom rest.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
The American pride in me wants Tommy D to show some promise in these high mountains. I really really hope he was just told to sit back because he will be on the attack tomorrow (or stage 20)

·
Banned
923 Posts
Dagger, sorry, but on the first big mountain stage Danielson dropped off the pace long before Savoldelli did. And in the second instance, Danielson was already off the pace when he started pacing Savoldelli. Today he dropped of the pace as soon as the climb started.

It's cloud cuckoo land to imagine that Danielson has somehow been constrained and could be on the podium easily if he hadn't had to pace Savoldelli. Fact is, Danielson has never been on the front of the peloton and in a position to put in a 'devastating' attack when the road has gone upwards. I'm sure he's great at riding up climbs against the clock, but he certainly can't handle the pace of the Pro peloton.

Still, looking forward to hearing his excuse for his lack of performance - because 'being held back' is certainly not it...

G

·
His not doing the TdF - so he wouldn't be held back unless he couldn't recover fast enough. It's sad, but he's just not the "great white hope" we all thought he'd be by now. Still, I do think it is possible for him to raise his game - assuming he has the brains and mental toughness to do so. So it's a waiting game for his fans, tick, tock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.