Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided to take control of my weight gain and start riding my bike again. I currently have a mountain bike but want to switch to a road bike. The problem is that I look at the bikes and the tires and think there is no way those skinny tires will hold me. Are there weight limits? I am 5' 11" and weigh 260lbs. Any advice?

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Of course you can

Some bikes, and some parts, have weight limits, but you can certainly find a bike that you can ride. The tires aren't all equally skinny, for one thing. Most road bikes come with 23mm tires, but you can get a bike with sufficient clearances for 25, 28, or 32 mm tires, and you'll do fine. In addition to suitable wheels and tires, you'll want to make sure to get a saddle that's comfortable for you. If you've been mountain biking and have a saddle that works, you already have a starting place.

Go for it; you have nothing to lose but the excess pounds you're already determined to lose.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
The only thing you might have problems with are the wheels. You'll need strong ones. I'd suggest talking to the place where you're buying your bike. Ask them if would cost any extra / how much extra to get a really sturdy set of wheels. They may tell you that the wheels that come on the bike will do fine. I'd be very skeptical. What they're really telling you when they say that is they don't want to do any more work.

Many, many kudos for taking action re: your weight problem. It's one of the hardest things to do....ever. Good luck.

· Registered
151 Posts
Do you realize that road tires are run with generally 2.5 to 3 times more pressure than mtb tires. Most people run between 100-120 psi in road tires.

If you don't try jumping into square edge curbs those skinny tires will do fine.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Don't wait too long

lib1229 said:
Thank you all for the advice. Now I am very excited. I just have to save up some money!
You don't need to save enough for the Cadillac bike to enjoy the riding, and you don't want to waste the good-weather season.

And while you're road-bike shopping, if you want to ride the mountain bike and start making the transition to pavement riding, a quick cheap trick is to put slick tires on that thing, making for faster (more fun!) riding on the road.

· Registered
21 Posts
I had to register just so I could reply to this post. I myself, am a big boy. I just started riding about a month ago, and I'll tell you that you can totally do it. I started riding for the same reasons as you. I'm 5'8", and the last time I weighed myself, I was at about 260 as well. I refuse to weigh myself through out all the excersize because I don't really care about that. All I want to do is see the difference in the way I look, feel and the need to shop for smaller clothes. I've already gone down a belt notch and getting closer to going down one more.

The bike I went with is a Jamis Coda Comp, which is pretty close to a road bike but it has a few differences like a flat handle bar, more upright frame geometry and slightly lager tires than the average road bike. The tire size is 700x28c. Just a bit bigger than average road tires. My wheels actually have a low spoke count and I have had no problems after about 300 miles. I took it to the shop for one wheel truing, but that was just because the bike is new and spokes always stretch a bit at first.

As long as your not too aggressive on your bike you'll do fine. Don't hit bumps too hard and be sure that your tire pressure is always maxed. With more weight on a bike, the chance you will have to get a snake bite flat on under preasured tires.

Have fun! Ride lots! Cycling has been the funest cardio activity I've done. Sure to take off the pounds if you stick with it. It's worked for me.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Timma. I feel so encouraged and I am getting a lot of support from my family and friends. It has only been a week since I started riding my mountain bike and I can feel the difference already. I am much more focused on what I am putting in my body.

· Registered
995 Posts
Get some slicks for you mountain bike cause that will increase the speed and fun factor. There's no hurry to get a road bike. I would also get a heart rate monitor just to keep tabs on what your ticker is doing while on the bike and to keep you in an optimal zone. With any luck, you'll get to the point that your pissed if you can't get out for your daily ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.