Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
The gist is that Mario and his buddy are told that the camper with their bike stuff has been stolen. Then they get passed by the "stolen" camper, and Mario gives chase. After lots of angry words and actions, Mario is told that it is a joke. Like Punked.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the translation! I long for the days when we had the Marcos, Mario's and the Chiappucci's. GGB. Guts, glory and braviary..........

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I must have missed it.

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
992 Posts
I saw Mario race at the 2004 Tour De Georgia. He declared that the Lion would roar and he would take Alpharetta. He came in third on that (final) stage, and when it came podium time, no Mario. I felt that it was extremely poor sportsmanship to not show up for the podium just because you didn't win. Maybe I don't know the whole story or he may have actually had a good reason, but the guy just struck me as a jerk deluxe from that point on.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HOOKEM said:
I saw Mario race at the 2004 Tour De Georgia. He declared that the Lion would roar and he would take Alpharetta. He came in third on that (final) stage, and when it came podium time, no Mario. I felt that it was extremely poor sportsmanship to not show up for the podium just because you didn't win. Maybe I don't know the whole story or he may have actually had a good reason, but the guy just struck me as a jerk deluxe from that point on.
Could it be the Lance syndrome? I guess you have to be a little high on yourself when your in the upper ranks of sport....

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
HOOKEM said:
Actually, I don't think that's it at all. If I recall, Leipheimer or some other American was criticized for the exact same thing. When interviewed, he said basically that he had never heard of the 2nd or 3rd place riders on a stage being on the podium. In other worlds, he didn't know he should have been there.

I bet that's exactly what happened with Mario.

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
992 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Actually, I don't think that's it at all. If I recall, Leipheimer or some other American was criticized for the exact same thing. When interviewed, he said basically that he had never heard of the 2nd or 3rd place riders on a stage being on the podium. In other worlds, he didn't know he should have been there.

I bet that's exactly what happened with Mario.
"Maybe I don't know the whole story or he may have actually had a good reason,".... that could very well be. And it struck me odd that he would snub the crowd after all we heard about him being such a nice guy and mixing with the crowd and signing autographs and such....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.