Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
lo and behold!
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have come across an ad for a C50 here on rbr. the condition and the price seem too good to be true. I have made email contact with the seller and after determining that the item for sale is what I want I asked for contact information so we could figure out payment and shipping and this is the reply:

I think the best way to deal is to send the bike by FedEx and once the shipment is made FedEx will email and confirm the shipment. Then you will wire the money to me.
The shipping will be under 60$ and i guess it will be easier if i send it by FedEx.
You will send the payment after i ship the bike and FedEx confirms it.
If you accept my offer then send me your address and i will ship the bike in the morning.
Let me know what you think about this

I have written again and asked for his number. Does this seem unusual? I don't want to scare the guy off if he is legit. I really want his frameset!

·
Administrator
12,940 Posts
velocipede said:
Hi all.

I have come across an ad for a C50 here on rbr. the condition and the price seem too good to be true. I have made email contact with the seller and after determining that the item for sale is what I want I asked for contact information so we could figure out payment and shipping and this is the reply:

I think the best way to deal is to send the bike by FedEx and once the shipment is made FedEx will email and confirm the shipment. Then you will wire the money to me.
The shipping will be under 60$ and i guess it will be easier if i send it by FedEx.
If you accept my offer then send me your address and i will ship the bike in the morning.

I have written again and asked for his number. Does this seem unusual? I don't want to scare the guy off if he is legit. I really want his frameset!
Ask for some specific pictures of something he has not posted. Ask for a measurement. Asking for a real home phone number. I have provided all of those to prospective buyers before.

If he he's the word's Western Union, wire transfer, buyer's agent or things like that- it's a scam.

·
Registered
14 Posts
velocipede said:
Hi all.

It's a scam. The reply you got is identical to what I got in this thread http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=53120 The seller later gave me an address and a bogus serial number for the Serotta. Could even be the same scammer as the Serotta.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
He'll send you a fake FedEx e-mail (BTW, FedEx doesn't do that....), and you'll send your money on nothing more than a false promise. Classic scam.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts