Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a disadvantage (besides cost) to buying a nicer bike that is necessary? If i am primary doing recreational rides but am interested in racing do i need to purchase a super nice bike? RIght now im riding a fuji robaix and am looking the some BMC's down at my lbs. Is this over kill, should i just stick with the bike i've got and upgrade later? All opinions welcome. Thanks alot.

David.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Generally no. The only thing I can think of, some A--hole will try to pass you and then go brag "I passed a poser on a BMC" to their buddies or on RBR. Otherwise, enjoy the BMC, it's a hell of a bike.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
elviento said:
Generally know. The only thing I can think of, some A--hole will try to pass you and then go brag "I passed a poser on a BMC" to their buddies or on RBR. Otherwise, enjoy the BMC, it's a hell of a bike.
:D :D :D that was me 20 years ago. now i'm the one getting passed by everyone...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
buy what makes you happy-

you should buy what makes you happy and what you can (obviously) afford

If you can stretch your budget- there is not doubt that a nicer bike will give you more pleasure

Life is short- you ought to have as much happiness as you can stand
:)
 

·
Moderatus Puisne
Joined
·
15,882 Posts
Honestly, if you're mostly rec riding, buy all the bike you like.

If you want to race, DOWNgrade, unless you won't cry if you junk your Team Machine in your first race.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha, thats only if they can catch me. Thanks for the advice guys. And Argentius, thanks thats a good point i didnt think about, i can just hold onto my old frame no worries! Thanks again.

David
 

·
Slowpoke
Joined
·
73 Posts
brerabbit3 said:
you should buy what makes you happy and what you can (obviously) afford

If you can stretch your budget- there is not doubt that a nicer bike will give you more pleasure

Life is short- you ought to have as much happiness as you can stand
:)
It's not that life is so short - it's just that you're dead such a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
I say buy whatever bike makes you happy. If your buying a nicer bike because you think it will make you faster than your mistaken. If your buying it because it's a nice ride and you like the look of it, then go for it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
fujinator said:
Is there a disadvantage (besides cost) to buying a nicer bike that is necessary? If i am primary doing recreational rides but am interested in racing do i need to purchase a super nice bike? RIght now im riding a fuji robaix and am looking the some BMC's down at my lbs. Is this over kill, should i just stick with the bike i've got and upgrade later? All opinions welcome. Thanks alot.

David.
I've two thoughts on this. On one hand sometimes having something really nice is a good motivator and will make you ride more but as usual caving to such lusts is usually transitory and it would be a real shame if you bought this bike only to have it sit in your garage. If you really feel you'd use it to better advantage then do it but don't kid yourself about the racing aspect. You don't need a really nice bike to race well. If that's what you think you'll be disappointed.

On the other hand, having this kind of disposable cash just sitting around and nothing to do but spend it on vanity purchases....You're already hesitant so maybe you'd like to spend it on something else that would give you greater satisfaction? There's a lot of good that can be done with a few thousand dollars and the Fuji Roubaix will still be waiting for you when done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sintesi,

Thanks for those thoughts, im sure that regardless of what bike i purchase it will not be a purchase of "lust" and my bike will not be sitting in the garage. I really enjoy cycling, and have been doing it for almost 3 years now, i started with my fuji not really knowing what i wanted in a bike. And after riding for those three years i found a few things i really disliked about the bike. Im 6'5 and 200 lbs, so bassicly i would like somthing with some more stifness to it, my current ride is a pretty flexy when i start hammering.

The idea about racing has only been a recent one, i enjoy recreational riding but i also like competition, i have only entertained the thought because i am enjoying the recreational side so much, i am just curious to see what a competitve atmosphere would be like. And dont worry im not expecting for the new bike to make me a better rider, make me fast, etc. Im just looking to invest in a nice bike that will last a long time if i take care of it. And from where i stand right now the BMC seems like a good investment in that respect.

Thanks again for all the great input, all important things to consider before laying down some cash on a new bike.

David
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
Argentius said:
Honestly, if you're mostly rec riding, buy all the bike you like.

If you want to race, DOWNgrade, unless you won't cry if you junk your Team Machine in your first race.
I agree but I'd just keep the Fuji for racing, at least for your first few races. Destroying a new BMC would not be nice;;)

I bought more bike than I 'thought' I deserved at the time a couple of years ago and a few thousand miles ago. I don't regret it. It still makes me happy to ride it and put a spark in my riding at the time and still does. Like my wife says, "no matter how expensive the bike, it's cheaper than a triple bypass:

VA
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
fujinator said:
Sintesi,

Thanks for those thoughts, im sure that regardless of what bike i purchase it will not be a purchase of "lust" and my bike will not be sitting in the garage. I really enjoy cycling, and have been doing it for almost 3 years now, i started with my fuji not really knowing what i wanted in a bike. And after riding for those three years i found a few things i really disliked about the bike. Im 6'5 and 200 lbs, so bassicly i would like somthing with some more stifness to it, my current ride is a pretty flexy when i start hammering.

The idea about racing has only been a recent one, i enjoy recreational riding but i also like competition, i have only entertained the thought because i am enjoying the recreational side so much, i am just curious to see what a competitve atmosphere would be like. And dont worry im not expecting for the new bike to make me a better rider, make me fast, etc. Im just looking to invest in a nice bike that will last a long time if i take care of it. And from where i stand right now the BMC seems like a good investment in that respect.

Thanks again for all the great input, all important things to consider before laying down some cash on a new bike.

David

"Lust" and "Vanity" are terms a little too charged with judgment aren't they? Sorry about that fujinator. But bottom line - if the bike is going to be well used and increases your enjoyment of the sport then by all means. Sounds like a good fit for you. Don't know what you're planning to spend, just because it's a BMC doesn't mean it's going run you $5-6,000 but since you're shopping in higher markets, do yourself a favor and do a lot of comparing and contrasting. For me that's half the fun, plus you'll have the satisfaction of having purchased exactly what is right for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sintesi,

Thanks for feedback, as far as looking at differnt bikes i've checked out a few. Namely: Felt f2c, the Cervelo soloist, some serottas (not really looking for a custom frame), and a few obera's. Given that list are there any other companies i should look into? I feel so far that what im looking for in a bike is stiffness and the BMC Team Machine, and Road Racer both offer this in spades. Thanks again for your help.

David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I agree with everything all the others are saying. If buying a nice bike will get you riding more then by all means. It's your money, do what you want with it. Sure there are people that may think you are a poseur. I think it is more a result of them being jealous than a matter of skill.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
381 Posts
fujinator said:
Is there a disadvantage (besides cost) to buying a nicer bike that is necessary? If i am primary doing recreational rides but am interested in racing do i need to purchase a super nice bike? RIght now im riding a fuji robaix and am looking the some BMC's down at my lbs. Is this over kill, should i just stick with the bike i've got and upgrade later? All opinions welcome. Thanks alot.

David.
too much bike?.....there isn't a such thing....:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wasserbox,

Hahahaahah, i love it, it is a shame but with only 13 posts i dont think its such a big deal.

How does BMCanator sound? heh. just kidding.
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
This question always cracks me up........

for 99% of the people on this site, and that buy mid to high end road bikes, they will never be able to squeeze out the last drop of performance from the bike they buy......Bikes arethat damn good.

What other sport can you buy the best in the world for what is a relativly (to other sports) cheap price?

The truth is that all of us buy more bike than we need....who cares? If you can afford it and you are not taking anything away from your family, then buy what you like. If it gets you out there go for it.

Len
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
476 Posts
beat the system

you can beat the system and get a nicer bike by
1 - finding a retailer that will give you 30% or more off list
2 - buying online and getting 40 to 50% off list

this way you can get a nicer bike within your budget

remember 105 or Ultegra is best for you
and that no matter what bike you get, it was probably made by Ideal, Merida, or Giant
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top