Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Folsom_Blues said:
OK, it's not me, obviously. But check out this article from someone who justifies not riding a bike because it's too dangerous: http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProce...ates/Details.cfm&StoryID=12739&Section=Sports

Hmm, 115 people a day die in a car and 2 on a bike. Do the math.
I'm not sure the author even has a point. He never seems to reach a conclusion anyway.

When he talks of using the money he'll save on gas for medical bills, it left me wondering if he thought he'd have less medical bills with a big waist, since he's unwilling to strap on a helmet to lose a few notches in his belt.

Actually, if he only lives three miles from work, why doesn't he try walking? I thought that's what them there sidewalks were fer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
Folsom_Blues said:
OK, it's not me, obviously. But check out this article from someone who justifies not riding a bike because it's too dangerous: http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProce...ates/Details.cfm&StoryID=12739&Section=Sports

not that i'm arguing for that article since i think it's pretty silly but explain your do the math comment...115 motorists vs 2 cyclists is bad press for cyclists in my mind when you factor the actual number on the road...not that it likely affects anyone that really enjoys riding.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Why be part of the solution, when you can be part of the problem!

Folsom_Blues said:

Like many, the author can't see the forest for the trees. Cycling is not dangerous - its the automobile drivers that are the danger. There is one major commonality for the 115 motorists and 2 cyclists that die each day - there was always a motor vehicle involved. Very few of the 600 - 700 annual cyclists deaths do not involve a motor vehicle. Clearly the problem isn't cyclists, it is drivers.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Mark McM said:
Like many, the author can't see the forest for the trees. Cycling is not dangerous - its the automobile drivers that are the danger. There is one major commonality for the 115 motorists and 2 cyclists that die each day - there was always a motor vehicle involved. Very few of the 600 - 700 annual cyclists deaths do not involve a motor vehicle. Clearly the problem isn't cyclists, it is drivers.

You are being a little naive. Cycling IS dangerous, don't deceive yourself. Cyclists are injured and killed without vehicle involvement plenty of times. While motor vehicles are the most significant risk we face, road riding on vehicle-less roads would still involve risk of injury and sometimes death.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Cycling is dangrous. So is eating at McDonald's, driving, having sex, and sleeping. People have died doing all the above or as a result of the above, but yet most people continue to do all of them. Life is terminal, it sounds like this guy should spend more time enjoying it while it lasts instead of worrying about it.

·
Cyclosaurus
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Driving is more dangerous

As I mentioned in another forum, cars are the #1 killer of people between the ages of 1 and 34. Once you hit 35 cancer takes over and once you hit 65 heart disease takes the top slot. In terms of accidental death, cars are #1 again from 1 until 65.

And by riding a bike, chances are you are reducing the risk of heart disease and cancer.

I completely agree that these numbers are skewed by the sheer numbers of cars. But look at it this way. How many fatalities would we have if the numbers were reversed?

Another sobering thought for the day; We have lost more Americans on our highways than we have in every way ever fought.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Non-motor vehicle traffic deaths

jtolleson said:
You are being a little naive. Cycling IS dangerous, don't deceive yourself. Cyclists are injured and killed without vehicle involvement plenty of times. While motor vehicles are the most significant risk we face, road riding on vehicle-less roads would still involve risk of injury and sometimes death.
I think it is you that are being niave. Sure, sometimes cyclists die without motor vehicles involved. But that is less than 10% if all cyclist fatalities. If collisions between motor vehicles suddenly stopped happening, only about 60 cyclists would die each year, instead of the current 600-700.

By the way, did you know that over 4,000 pedestrians die each year. And guess what - most of them were hit by motor vehicles.

·
Registered
838 Posts
You're not being naive, you're being illogical. If there were no cars on the road, yeah, bike and pedestrian fatalities would go down. How does that affect in any way the discussion of whether or not cycling is dangerous?

How does that old saying go? If wishes were Colnagos beggars would ride. Something like that.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My .02....

Cycling is not a dangerous activity. High speed accidents, being hit by cars, and assorted bad luck is.

Sitting idly by, watching the TV, gaining weight and Type 2 diabetes, are all more hazardous, and are more of a plague than this nation is ready to deal with. Cycling helps all of those.

I'm not ready to give up cycling out of fear of cars. I am willing to give up racing a bike, because that is a pretty dangerous thing to partake in.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Mark McM said:
I think it is you that are being niave. Sure, sometimes cyclists die without motor vehicles involved. But that is less than 10% if all cyclist fatalities. If collisions between motor vehicles suddenly stopped happening, only about 60 cyclists would die each year, instead of the current 600-700.

How do you figure my acknowledgement that cycling is hazardous is naive? Or is it you just felt insulted and wanted a tit-for-tat?

Look, my only point was that I thought it was silly to say that cycling isn't dangerous. And perhaps I'm oversensitive to such misstatements given that my own accident (8 years ago, and nearly fatal) involved no motor vehicles... just a long windy mountain pass and a pothole around a blind curve. I haven't stopped riding (obviously) but you also don't see me exaggerating the safety of going 40 mph on skinny tires wearing only lycra and a plastic-shelled styrofoam lid.

·
Racial Profiler
371 Posts
Folsom_Blues said:
OK, it's not me, obviously. But check out this article from someone who justifies not riding a bike because it's too dangerous:
Oscar Gonzalez Jr. is the Sports Editor of The Monitor. He hasn’t ridden a bicycle since he was in high school and had a major wipeout the last time he did own a bike. If you have any cycling horror stories to share, he can be reached at (956) 683-44....
He doesn't exactly seem like the perfect person to be penning an article about bicycle v. car safety. Even if you do like his message, his personal bias seems to be coloring the article.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Sports Editors

wasserbox said:
He doesn't exactly seem like the perfect person to be penning an article about bicycle v. car safety. Even if you do like his message, his personal bias seems to be coloring the article.
Au contraire! We all know that sports editors are 1) tuned into all sports and not just the American ball sports (plus Hockey and NASCAR), 2) generally quite fit and in tune with their bodies, and 3) really into environmental and sociopolitical issues. Or not :)

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
Folsom_Blues said:
The math would add up something like this

115,000,000 people a day drive in cars. On the average they drive 10 miles. For a total of 1,150,000,000 "peoplemiles"

115 die. 1,150,000,000/115 = 10,000,000 Thus you have a 1 in 10,000,000 chance of death every day in your car.

200,000 people ride a bike every day. On the average (including kids on BMX bikes trying back flips) they ride 5 miles. For a total of 1,000,000 "peoplemiles"

2 die. 1,000,000/2 = 500,000 Thus you have a 1 in 500,000 chance of death everyday on your bike.

Therefore, cycling is 20 times more dangerous than driving.

While all of these numbers are fictional I would be willing to bet the math would work out very similar.

Does that mean I will stop riding? No. But mile for mile it is more dangerous than driving.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hell, why bother to write an insightful article about cycling and the advocacy groups who try to change laws and behavior to make cycling safer? Or the plight of those injured by motorists? Or an expose of badly constructed intersections and laws that are never enforced?

Lot more fun to pile onto the sensationalist aspect of news reporting...

"Do you ride a bike?? It just might kill you! Tune in to channel 13 tonight to find out how..."

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
magicant said:
Hell, why bother to write an insightful article about cycling and the advocacy groups who try to change laws and behavior to make cycling safer? Or the plight of those injured by motorists? Or an expose of badly constructed intersections and laws that are never enforced?

Lot more fun to pile onto the sensationalist aspect of news reporting...

"Do you ride a bike?? It just might kill you! Tune in to channel 13 tonight to find out how..."
Groucho rules! My favorite joke of his of all time: "Ya know the typewriter was invented in 1492. I know. I was in 1493 and they kept me awake all night!"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.