Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Embrace your inner Fred
Joined
·
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after umteen years Im finally back in the bike scene albiet roadbikes instead of mountain bikes. Man things have changed. Finally understood what those wimpy looking things to the crank are for lol. Used the clipless getup for the first time and its freaking weird. Feel like Im strapped to the bike and cant get off if I need to in a hurry. I know they tell me it will pass. Found out the frame is a tad too small for me however, :cryin: but I assumed the risk by buying online sight unseen. Got a 62" but I guess I needed a 64" too bad my model didnt come in that size. Will be upgrading to a better frame next summer.

Bike feels great nontheless but I suck big time. Will be awhile before I can consider myself or anyone to call me a roadie. Geez. Just a ride over the Brooklyn bridge to the South St seaport area and back to Kings County Hospital area has me beat. What a wuss:blush2: I literally crawled into my building. Yeah I overdid it but I like to push myself.

Thats it. so far I love the experience. The good far outweights the bad[LBS experience]. Not horrible but just got he feeling they didnt want to work on it and actually got it back with the brakes not working and shifting funny. No one like Motobecane it seems lmao. Oh well at least Im learning alot especially on this forum. Next frame will be either a Pinerello, Orbea or Colnaga as Im told they customize for my height. Ive got a long way to go, fitnesswise, before I can justify spending that kind of dough on a frame but I think Ill get close within a year of hard work. Im a beast and push myself hard. If I dont die in the process lol.
 

·
Embrace your inner Fred
Joined
·
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. One thing I noticed was hand pain and now that Ive cooled off jeez my hands and rear end kinda feel took a beating I guess. I figured it has more to do with the bike not being the best fit then plain ole getting used to riding again. Or maybe its both. Gonna do a 30 miler tommorow to work and see how I hold up. Boss should understand if I come in too tired to work right?:D
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
13,390 Posts
Get some padded cycling gloves. I like Spencos, but there are lots of brands that are very good. They'll also protect you in a crash.
 

·
Embrace your inner Fred
Joined
·
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
Get some padded cycling gloves. I like Spencos, but there are lots of brands that are very good. They'll also protect you in a crash.
Will do....I did the 30miler today in jeans. Sucked big time. Had to make a few stops to adjust the jewels and to ease the azz ache. Gonna pick up some MTB shorts and then work up to the road shorts. Still too self consious to wear em yet. A few more seam burns from my jeans will ensure I end up in em. Ouch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Snakebitten said:
Will do....I did the 30miler today in jeans. Sucked big time. Had to make a few stops to adjust the jewels and to ease the azz ache. Gonna pick up some MTB shorts and then work up to the road shorts. Still too self consious to wear em yet. A few more seam burns from my jeans will ensure I end up in em. Ouch.
I recommend a glove that has minimal padding, my experience is that the heavy padding makes my hands move around on my grips and I tighten up to compensate which makes my hands hurt more. Don't go crazy. Also buy a good heart rate monitor, I have a VDO that I bought when I started and a Polar S520 that is my baby. I live by it while I'm in the saddle. Buying the HR monitor was the single best piece of advice I have ever followed from anyone regarding this sport. I honestly don't know how you ride in jeans. It hurts me just to think about it! I have a neighbor who wears Lycra to mow his lawn... and nothing else.... so getting on my bike is nothing compared to him out there hangin it in the breeze!
 

·
Embrace your inner Fred
Joined
·
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ChrisMBianchi said:
I recommend a glove that has minimal padding, my experience is that the heavy padding makes my hands move around on my grips and I tighten up to compensate which makes my hands hurt more. Don't go crazy. Also buy a good heart rate monitor, I have a VDO that I bought when I started and a Polar S520 that is my baby. I live by it while I'm in the saddle. Buying the HR monitor was the single best piece of advice I have ever followed from anyone regarding this sport. I honestly don't know how you ride in jeans. It hurts me just to think about it! I have a neighbor who wears Lycra to mow his lawn... and nothing else.... so getting on my bike is nothing compared to him out there hangin it in the breeze!
Thanks for the advice. Ill pick up a HR monitor and glove this weekend. As for the jeans thing I dont have bike shorts currently and I was dying to ride the bike so I took one for the team.

I bought some baggy bike shorts from Nashbar and they should be here on Friday so this weekend Ill be hitting Prospect and Central park weather permitting and looking and feeling a little more appropriate to the sport.
 

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
Joined
·
7,364 Posts
Enjoy your new hobby. Just to be the devil's advocate, I prefer the heavily padded gloves. I'm simply able to go longer with my heavily padded ones than with my lightly padded ones.

And don't wait too long before trying your first pair of genuine lycra road shorts. Yeah, the mountain bike style baggies are okay, but if you put anything into the pockets, the stuff ends up clanking against your legs. Truly annoying.

Finally, some words of wisdom from Greg LeMond, the first American winner of the Tour de France. "It doesn't get easier. You just get faster."
 

·
Embrace your inner Fred
Joined
·
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mapei said:
Enjoy your new hobby. Just to be the devil's advocate, I prefer the heavily padded gloves. I'm simply able to go longer with my heavily padded ones than with my lightly padded ones.

And don't wait too long before trying your first pair of genuine lycra road shorts. Yeah, the mountain bike style baggies are okay, but if you put anything into the pockets, the stuff ends up clanking against your legs. Truly annoying.

Finally, some words of wisdom from Greg LeMond, the first American winner of the Tour de France. "It doesn't get easier. You just get faster."
:cool: Thank you for your imput. I will deffinately end up with road shorts just dont know when lol. Maybe Ill team them with the MTB baggies at first then just take em off and see how I feel. This is more about how I feel than everyone elses feelings. Great words from Greg LeMond btw.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top