Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using my mountain bike (because it's all I own) 2 - 3 times a week to ride with a friend who isn't into off-road on his 35 - 45 mile training rides. There is almost no flat ground where I live. There are no extremely long climbs but some are steep and you're almost constantly going up or down so keeping up has been a workout. Most of the time if the hill is really bad I just say "see ya at the top" so I don't interrupt his training. I get to ride a lot more than he does due to his work hours but most of my solo rides are singletrack on my mountain bike. I decided if I'm going to keep doing this (and I am) I need a proper bike for it so I ordered a Trek 5200 today through my LBS. Hopefully that will be the end of getting left behind on the nastier climbs.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you're asking but after taking a bunch of measurements and discussing the fit of various size bikes I tried when I was there to pick up my mountain bike it was concluded that what I actually need is a combination of 2 sizes due to having a short inseam for my height. Since this isn't an option outside of a custom frame (which is not in my budget range) they suggested a compromise. I went with the size between the smaller size I need for my inseam and the larger size I need for my upper body and will run it with the seat a little lower in the tube and a slightly longer stem. Yes, they did explain that this would interfere a bit with getting maximum aero posture. I'm fine with that, I'm not a racer. If you're asking if I just wandered into a shop and said "Yo, I want a Trek" and they said "Cool brah, we'll order you up a 5200 and you'll be good to go... the size don't matter, it's got one of them adjustable seats" then no, it wasn't anything like that.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
LWP said:
. If you're asking if I just wandered into a shop and said "Yo, I want a Trek" and they said "Cool brah, we'll order you up a 5200 and you'll be good to go... the size don't matter, it's got one of them adjustable seats" then no, it wasn't anything like that.

Good :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.