Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm using a teeny tiny allen wrench... there's gotta be somethin better to use though, right?? Whaddo you guys/gals use?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Junk? In tires? What kinda junk?

Maybe something like this?

From the beauty-care aisle of your local drugstore.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like little bits of glass/gravel/etc. Tweezers might work but I'm not sure if they'd have the grip for it, yaknow?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I was gonna ask the same question.
I always seem to pick up small pieces of wire that seems to break off and work their way through the tire. Short of carrying a needle nose pliers in my saddle bag, how do you get that out on the road? I'v been looking for a bike specific multi-tool that had folding pliers but haven't found one.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I have a key chain size multitool on my keys. Keys & tool always go with me in my saddlebag. Comes in handy

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Deflate the tire. Then pinch on the sidewal near the offending object. This will expand the rubber that is holding it in place. You will likely be able to flick it out with a fingernail. Any other small nosed device will do fine.

·
Colorado Springs, CO
629 Posts
Go to Walgreens and buy a pair of Revlon tweezers. They have small nibs on the end and are strong enough to grip the offending chunk of garbage out of the tire. If not, you can use the side of the tweezer to flick out the junk. Tweezers are very small and will fit easily your your saddle pack.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I second the Leatherman Micro tool in the seat bag. It comes in two styles, be sure to get the one with pliers and not scissors.

·
Registered
950 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
Pocketknife.
That's close. Buy a couple X-acto blades. You don't even need the handle. Deflate tires, as others have noted, pinch and pop out with the point of the blade. Or, you could just do nothing. Which works just as well. I used to pick out pieces of metal & glass, and found out that anything that you can pick out after a ride won't usually harm your tires.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Pull it out with your finger nail or a small screwdriver. A lot of it depends on the tire. Soft racing tires will attract more junk. Hard training tires will be more resistant but ride harsher. If you are getting a lot of "junk", try different tires. Go to a hard training tire. They will last longer and be more flat resisitant, but won't ride as nice. Depends on what you want..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts