Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to road cycling, as well as cycling on a regular basis, I'm trying to get a good handle on what's really needed and what's overkill.

I see tool kits that offer 16 in 1 tools...is this overkill? ie: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7Y5IA...TF8&colid=3MKPTD4TB6A20&coliid=I2Y27AC91Z67PG

Currently riding a Mamba mountain bike with road type tires and trying to finalize what I need to take with me on every ride:

Pump (looking at the Lezyne HP Drive Hand Pump)
Car Key
Cell Phone
Reading Glasses
Extra Tire Tube
Tire Levers
Hydration
GU Gels (have plenty left over from tennis)
Contact information
Money (or CC)

Would love to hear your recommendations on the following:
- Patch Kit
- Multi-Tool Kit or Which Tools I Should Carry

Anything else missing from list?

Thanks for the advice!

TripleB

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I wouldn't recommend buying a kit of any sort. There will be things in it you don't need and what you will need may not be of the same quality as buying item by item.

That said, here's my essentials list.
Wedge saddle bag - medium (Topeak/ Specialized are two good brands)
Tire levers
Spare tube
Patch kit
Piece of old tube or 1$ bill to use as a 'boot'
Innovations Ultraflate Plus CO2 inflator
2-3 12-16g unthreaded carts (I get the 12g's by the box at Walmart)
Multitool w/ chain breaker
Mini-pump (if you don't trust CO2 alone)

Not essential, but nice to have:
Road ID
Rag/ paper towels
Latex gloves
Waterless soap (Gojo, or similar)
A second tube, if it'll fit

Optional:
Mini-pump
Lights

I would strongly recommend a Road ID bracelet. Their basic model will do. Also, a floor pump, but keep that home. ; )

EDIT: Two more things. 1) A computer with cadence function. Wired or wireless, depending on preferences/ budget. FWIW, I like Cateyes. 2) Camelbak Podium insulated bottles. I think there's both a chill and big version.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
All of this is good.
For a boot, I have only had to use one once. But it was good to have it.
However, you may want to consider a $20 bill instead of a $1 bill: either works well to cover a big hole in tire, but the $20 bill just seems like it is twenty times more valuable in other situations.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Multitool w/ chain breaker
Thanks for the input.

I have a saddle bag, front light, rear flasher, two computers (Garmin and Cateye), RoadID (from when I ran), bottles (unfortunately not insulated), floor pump...and have ordered most of the other items you mentioned.

Didn't think about rags or gloves...thanks for those ideas.

You mention "multi-tool with chain breaker"...is there one you'd recommend?

Again, I appreciate the help!

TripleB

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts
Pump (looking at the Lezyne HP Drive Hand Pump)

If you're going to carry a pump, this is the one I carry and recommend - the Topeak Mini Morph:

Topeak Mini Morph Pump > Accessories > Pumps & Inflation > Hand Pumps | Jenson USA

It has a hose which eases stress on the valve stem while pumping. Without this, it is too easy to accidentally break a presta valve off. If you look closely, it has a small flip out lever to step on in order to keep the pump stable and give you better leverage while pumping. This is important when you are trying to pump 100PSI with a tiny pump. It's small and light enough so only the most extreme weight weenies will poo-poo it.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Get a presta to schrader valve converter too. You'll probably never use it but considering it takes up almost literally no space and weights nothing it doesn't hurt to have an additional option (gas station) for pumping tires.

I'd get a few of those park tool boots instead of using a bill or whatever home remedy. You'll probably never need because bills or whatever work just fine 99% of the time but after having a cut from bead to bead and one of those getting me home when a bill definitely would not have I think it's worth getting some. I carry them in a baseball card holder.

Equally important to having tools and tire stuff is knowing how to use them. Practice at home. It seems every time I stop to help a cyclist with a flat they have everything they need but don't have a clue how to use it.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Multitool w/ chain breaker.
Maybe it's just me, but in 50 years of road riding with hundreds of thousands of miles, I have never needed a chain breaker.

I carry 4 & 5 mm Allen wrenches, have notched my house key to serve as a spoke wrench, and two tire levers which I seldom need (can remove most tires easily by hand). I don't even carry a screwdriver and have not needed one.

I must be really lucky.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but in 50 years of road riding with hundreds of thousands of miles, I have never needed a chain breaker.
I rode for 30+ years and broke 1 chain mtbing. Then I went to 11 spd road and have broken 2 chains in 3 years. 1 was a Campag chain, the other was a Shimano. On both I needed to use the chain tool to get the broken link out and used a master link to put the chain back together. I have been carrying a Lezyne V10 multitool for while. It is a little bulky but not that bad to pack, and the chain tool works :thumbsup:

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts

I carry 4 & 5 mm Allen wrenches, have notched my house key to serve as a spoke wrench, and two tire levers which I seldom need (can remove most tires easily by hand). I don't even carry a screwdriver and have not needed one.

I must be really lucky.

Very lucky.

While I haven't ever needed a chain breaker for myself, I bailed someone out on a group ride once. Without it, they would have been calling for a ride.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as a mini tool kit to carry on the bike...will a 2/3/4/5/6mm and Phillips get me through most adjustments needed on the road?

Thanks for the input.

TripleB

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I seem to have read somewhere that you're on a "GF Mamba" mountain bike. It might be better if you get a pump that puts out a higher volume of air rather than one made for high pressures ("HP"). You'll have your "GF Mamba" back on the road a little quicker.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
I prefer C02 (threaded type) over a pump but that's just me. Chain breaker seems like overkill to me. If I break a chain I'm "calling in for an extraction". If you do carry a breaker I'd also carry a quick link appropriate for your chain since pushing in a new pin with a mini-tool breaker and then trying to snap off the extra (like on a Shimano pin) would be nuts.

... have notched my house key to serve as a spoke wrench...
That's hard core. I like it! Tips on how to do it? Filing seems the hard way. Dremel?

I must be really lucky.
Probably more like you have a handle on maintaining your bike(s) so you don't get surprised out on rides.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
As far as a mini tool kit to carry on the bike...will a 2/3/4/5/6mm and Phillips get me through most adjustments needed on the road?

Thanks for the input.

TripleB
It's a minimalist approach, but playing the odds (which is what we do when deciding what to stuff into saddle bags), this will likely get you through.

But as MisterMike posted (and I'm confident Kerry subscribes to), maintenance is *the* determining factor in minimizing breakdowns/ mechanicals.

Most important are the flat repair tools - and knowing how to fix flats in less than ideal conditions.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I seem to have read somewhere that you're on a "GF Mamba" mountain bike. It might be better if you get a pump that puts out a higher volume of air rather than one made for high pressures ("HP"). You'll have your "GF Mamba" back on the road a little quicker.
You are correct...currently riding a Gary Fisher Mamba with roadish Bontrager H2 26x1.50 tires on it.

Was planning on moving to a true road bike next Spring but with the cost of a trailer hitch and bike mount for it the true road bike will probably have to wait a season or two longer.

TripleB

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a minimalist approach, but playing the odds (which is what we do when deciding what to stuff into saddle bags), this will likely get you through.
Well here are the three options from Topeak (which seems to get the overall best reviews of any company):

Mini 6 Tools for $9.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016KY5U...TF8&colid=3MKPTD4TB6A20&coliid=I3E1K9A44AC0BB

Mini 9 Tools (adds 2.5mm/8mm and Torx wrench) for $16.95 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FIE49...olid=3MKPTD4TB6A20&coliid=I19UAKFE86IO7&psc=1

Mini 18+ (adds 2Lmm/10mm, flathead, tire lever, bottle opener, tool chain pin tool, spoke wrench) for $19.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OO9RC...TF8&colid=3MKPTD4TB6A20&coliid=I3CZOHXBR6371O

TripleB67

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
You are correct...currently riding a Gary Fisher Mamba with roadish Bontrager H2 26x1.50 tires on it.
Well, that partially explains your need for a more roomy saddle bag. Those 26 x 1.50 tubes take up some serious space....:) On the other hand: Do you even need tire levers?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, that partially explains your need for a more roomy saddle bag. Those 26 x 1.50 tubes take up some serious space....:) On the other hand: Do you even need tire levers?
Not until I learn how to use them :D Actually I better start watching some videos or asking someone to show me...ordered a pair ($5 shipped) that will be here next week!

TripleB

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.