Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Journeyman Wheelsmith
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built up a set of H+ Son Archetypes. BHS hubs, Sapim Lasers, and DT Swiss brass nipples. The build came out nice and I'm pleased with it.

After doing several builds with eyeletted rims, I guess I've gotten a little spoiled by how smooth the nipple/eyelet interface is.

Most of the H+ Son holes seemed smooth, but there were a couple where it felt "coarse" as I as turning the nipple. Does anyone here use a tool to spot face or deburr a non-eyeletted rim?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've used a assortment of dremel bits. I just clean up the edge a bit. FWIW,I've had some of the H+ rims literaly grind the head off a a Aluminum nipple.

I'm very interested in hearing/seeing what the other builders are using

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I don't see how you can use that to debur the inside of the spoke hole as its too large. I use a 1/4" countersink bit with a single cutter mounted on an electric drill used at low speed to dress each spoke hole before I start a build. The countersink doesn't have the cutting edges of a drill bit and will only debur the spoke hole without the risk of weakening. rruff shared this tip with me when I was building my first set of wheels and it sure works well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.