Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do most of my own wrenching. I have pretty much everything I need in the way of regular mechanics' tools, and have been building my collection of bike-specific tools. Up until now, the latter has included a few items needed for Shimano 8-speed drivetrains.

Now I've just bought a new Campy 10-speed bike. What tools do I need to add to my collection? (Park model numbers, if you know them, would be helpful.) So far all I have is the BBT-5 bottom bracket and cassette lock ring tool. What else? Do I need a different chain whip? And etc.

This is also my first bike with a threadless headset. Anything special needed for this end of the bike?

Any and all input will be much appreciated!

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
The only Campy-specific tool I have for my Campy bike is the BB/Lockring tool.

Everything else is regular ol' tools, or regular ol' bike tools (chain whip, chain cracker and like that).

You might need something special to get the freehub apart, but that's the only thing I haven't had apart already (note, I do not have a campy headset or BB).

You don't need any special tools for a threadless headset, just a couple of allen keys (hex wrenches). In fact, you need fewer special tools than a standard headset--no more giant, flat headset wrenches required.

Check out the Park tools site for good info on setting up a threadless headset.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
not much

Allez Rouge said:
I do most of my own wrenching. I have pretty much everything I need in the way of regular mechanics' tools, and have been building my collection of bike-specific tools. Up until now, the latter has included a few items needed for Shimano 8-speed drivetrains.

Now I've just bought a new Campy 10-speed bike. What tools do I need to add to my collection? (Park model numbers, if you know them, would be helpful.) So far all I have is the BBT-5 bottom bracket and cassette lock ring tool. What else? Do I need a different chain whip? And etc.

This is also my first bike with a threadless headset. Anything special needed for this end of the bike?

Any and all input will be much appreciated!
You'll need the Campy cassette tool BBT5 which is less than $10. This also works for Campy Bottom Brackets Centaur and above. Veloce/Mirage use a seprate BB tool (and older Centaur).

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
The only Campy-specific tool I have for my Campy bike is the BB/Lockring tool.

Everything else is regular ol' tools, or regular ol' bike tools (chain whip, chain cracker and like that).

You might need something special to get the freehub apart, but that's the only thing I haven't had apart already (note, I do not have a campy headset or BB).

You don't need any special tools for a threadless headset, just a couple of allen keys (hex wrenches). In fact, you need fewer special tools than a standard headset--no more giant, flat headset wrenches required.

Check out the Park tools site for good info on setting up a threadless headset.
Nothing special to take the freehub apart, just patience and wrenches. One of the things I like about campy is the website with the "sploded" drawings to show you how things are put together. As far as the campy bb, I currently have a FSA crankset but if I decided to go back to my campy crankset I would probably go with a Phil Wood stainless 102mm bb. PW requires special tools.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Left is Shimano, right is Campy. All my other tools work on either.

The Campy whip and chain tool are considered by many to be unnecessary. I like using pretty tools, plus, I figure if I can afford Campy I can afford the associated tools. I got all of mine on eBay for much cheaper than retail.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
bigbill said:
As far as the campy bb, I currently have a FSA crankset but if I decided to go back to my campy crankset I would probably go with a Phil Wood stainless 102mm bb. PW requires special tools.
This is the BB I'm using. Very nice. I went with two of the installation tools, 'cause it makes it really really easy to install evenly and torque down.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just the BB/Cassette tool

The other park tools, like the CT-3 Chain tool, work fine on Campy. Campy tools sure are nice, but not worth the price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts