Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to do my own repair work and stuff like that and I just wanted to know what tools one would need to do the following. Remove a cassette, and remove a chain. (is it just a chain tool?)

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeap, its a chain tool.

To remove a cassette, you'll need a freewheel tool (inserts in line with the axle), as well as a chain whip tool (to hold the cassette still, otherwise, it'll spin and you won't be able to loosen against it).

Both of these tools are USUALLY available in "essential" or "basic" tool kits, which will suffice for a decent amount of maintenance, repairs, and installs. You can find house brand tool kits for $50-60, with name brands like Park going for a bit more.

I do all of my own maintenance, adjustments, and minor repairs and installs with the equivalent of these basic/essential tool kits. The only thing I don't really do is complete builds, because my LBS is sweet and gives me a great deal, they can press headsets and face bottom brackets and cut, and I won't get mad at myself by messing that stuff up.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Most professional bike-mechanics recommend against these "tool-kits" for several reasons: You end up paying for tools you will never use. You often get tools for discontinued and rare components (have to get rid of 'em somehow). They are often from second-rate manufacturers and their life-span isn't great.

What is recommended is to purchase the best quality tool(s) there are - as they are needed. Or as you can afford. This way you are assured of top quality all the way through your collection. No more buying and chucking and buying. And you'll be amazed at how quickly your collection is growing.

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
934 Posts
To remove a cassette you need three tools -- cassette tool, chain whip, and something to turn the cassette tool with. The Performance one takes a 21mm wrench or 1/2" socket drive, whereas the Park takes a 1" wrench. The wrench is likely to be more expensive than the tool, so if you have one or the other it makes sense to choose the tool according to the wrench needed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cassette Tool

Nashbar has a decent cassette wrench (handle and all) on sale for $7.49 right now. Just make sure it is comptable with your lock ring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.