Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, will it be freaky cooks with lovel big-bird stand in Carla, the robotic and soulless Stephan or everybody's least favorite, Hamlet-with-a-knife Hosea?

I'd add a poal if I had any kind of messageboard savvy...

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Stephan and Hosea finally flip out and stab each other's livers, Carla wins by default.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
buck-50 said:
So, will it be freaky cooks with lovel big-bird stand in Carla, the robotic and soulless Stephan or everybody's least favorite, Hamlet-with-a-knife Hosea?

I'd add a poal if I had any kind of messageboard savvy...
If I were betting I'd say Stefan will take it. He should be on his A-Game after last week's wakeup call.

I wish Hosea would take it just so Boulder chefs get some props though. Carla has played it safe the whole time--I hope the last challenge will allow the chefs to show some originality for once. Cranberry spritzer won't cut it this time Carla.

·
hit it
4,006 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
If I were betting I'd say Stefan will take it. He should be on his A-Game after last week's wakeup call.
Stefan has been coasting for the last 2 episodes at least. He better come with it or he's going to get beat.

If he shows up, he's got it in the bag.

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
Wow. I'm so totally about to comment on the "characters" of a reality show.

I feel like I should be wearing a moo moo and eating bonbons.

I'll be happy if any of them win. I think this year's folks were all pretty damned awesome, and though I can't actually taste any of their food, when I lick my TV screen, I've been pleased.

Carla makes me chuckle constantly. As awkward as she is, she seems about as comfortable in her own skin as anyone could be. That's a characteristic I find highly respectable.

Hosea is from Boulder, and yet, isn't a hippie or a vegetarian. He seems smart as hell and given that I find the instructions on a box of pop tarts fairly complex, the fact that he is self-taught is pretty damned impressive. Plus, I damned near had a mouthgasm when I had the butternut squash soup at his restaurant.

Stefan. I think I may be the only one who a) likes Stefan and 2) doesn't really think he's as cocky as they make him out to be. Sure, he's a bit of a braggart, but he seems to accept the judges critiques with a simple "Okay" and certainly has a history of wins to back up his confidence. Thing is, in the interviews, they seem to always play the same jerkface comments in the same way they always play Hosea's "I hate Stefan" comments. Except, when they are airing clips of everyone hanging out, Stefan is always hugging, laughing, and joking with the other contestants. It seems like everyone generally likes each other.

But, it's so much more fun when there is a villain.

Damnit. My moo moo is getting tight and I'm out of bonbons.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Actually, Stephan and Hosea finally flip out and cut out each other's livers. Carla wins by pan roasting the livers and serving with some fava beans and nice chianti.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
FWIW there is a big finale watching party tonight at the West End with a meet and greet with Hosea and Melissa.

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
FWIW there is a big finale watching party tonight at the West End with a meet and greet with Hosea and Melissa.
Damn.

That sounds pretty rad, especially seeing as I have no cable and the Daily Camera likes to follow up the show with a headline stating exactly what happened.

Alas, I've got my preggo swimming class and, oddly enough, one of my favorite parts of the week is floating in a pool and doing an impression of a fishing bob.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
What about Leah? She and Hosea should be free to carry on now. I know he is. He said it in his blog.

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
catzilla said:
Stefan. I think I may be the only one who a) likes Stefan and 2) doesn't really think he's as cocky as they make him out to be.
No, I've stood up for him in the past. He's had a few dickish moments, but he hardly seems a villain. That said, while I think he's probably an amazing chef, I don't really think he's all that inventive, or even innovative. I'd like Carla to win just because her homestyle cooking is a fairly daring space to occupy in the molecular-gastronomy-obsessed world of Top Chef.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
I'm excited. Yeah, thats right, I'm excited about a reality TV show. Catzilla, you have another mu-mu I can borrow?

I dislike all of them for one reason or another, but I'm assuming that if Stefan puts 1/10 of his energy into it he'll probably win.

Carla is my "hometown" girl, but she's not my fav. I would go eat at her restaurant though. I like the style she has. Just as long as she provides some alcohol.

Hosea is probably my favorite, but thats just because he dislikes Stefan so much, or at least it seems that way. I would totally eat at his place too.

Oddly, Stefans food always seems the most like food I'd like to eat. Maybe its my time in Europe, but his food is always appealing.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
Val_Garou said:
No, I've stood up for him in the past. He's had a few dickish moments, but he hardly seems a villain. That said, while I think he's probably an amazing chef, I don't really think he's all that inventive, or even innovative. I'd like Carla to win just because her homestyle cooking is a fairly daring space to occupy in the molecular-gastronomy-obsessed world of Top Chef.
i've defended stephan, too....and frankly, i'll be happy so long as hosea doesn't win. i'm sick of his crying.

BUT, we'll have to see what comes of it, but the previews last week show a bit of a to-do b/t stephan and hosea. apparently hosea takes something stephan had planned on using....it'll prolly be nothing...but whatevs...i'm still excited

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Stephan: he has 20 year, and a huge stock of recipes and techniques. But I tend to find his dishes a bit obvious, not so innovative. He needs to put out perfect plates, and he wins. But if the simple obvious dish is just a bit off from ideal, it will show.

Hosea: rough around the edges. I see the talent, but I see holes in the skills and judgment (food wise) at times.

Carla: I hated Carla at first, but she has grown on me. Classical training indeed. But prone to poor decision making at times.

Here's the kicker. The challenges constrain the chefs, they have to do what they are told. But the final is usually "do whatever you want" or close to it. That gives a bit to Hosea, since I don't doubt he (like all of them) has thought about his best dishes, the ones that can win him the top prize. Hosea is at his best when he knows where he is going.

Odds wise, I say Stephan is the favorite at 2:1, Hosea 3:1, Carla 5:1... not that I am making book on it or anything.

I have a feeling Carla will please the palates of the judges most tonight, so that's my guess for a winner. I'm betting on the long shot, even though she could totally implode in several ways in her ongoing quest to put LOVE on the plate.

·
It's not easy being green
314 Posts
I was hoping Fabio would wash Stephan out. He is one funny dude. I think Carla will give the boys a run for their money. She has definitely progressed, and Stephan's ego gets in his way. Hosea would be a fair win. He's a nice humble but sometimes whiney guy. Please pack your knives and go!

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Carla! Carla! Carla!

:D:D:D:D

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
How could Carla be so stupid? I mean, really, getting overridden on two of your four dishes?

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Bad decisions on her part. Its a shame because if those 3 chefs were each told to make meat and potatoes, hers would be the one I would normally want to eat the most.

But congrats to the big winner (not sure about spoilers here). I enjoyed the venison dish, as I know how hard it can be to prepare.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
i pewp on this thread. any cooking show sans Alton Brown or Paula Dean is not worth watching. Is this the one w/ the guy that yells and curses the whole time?

btw the redhead on american idol is uberhawt.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
gutfiddle said:
i pewp on this thread. any cooking show sans Alton Brown or Paula Dean is not worth watching. Is this the one w/ the guy that yells and curses the whole time?

btw the redhead on american idol is uberhawt.
If you want hot, search google for "top chef casey"

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Henry Porter said:
If you want hot, search google for "top chef casey"
thanks HP, you're alright no matter what Andrea138 says about u.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts