Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Geesus F-ing Christ............

This gets my vote for best post ever. A few common answers....

"faster than your sorry a$$"
"fast enought to win"
"22.3 mph"
"36.4 mph"
"45.7 mph"
"52.1 mph"
"slower than everyone I've ever ridden with"
"running or on a bike?"
"do I get 20 min alone w/ your sister if I beat you?"
"as much time as I spend in the gym squatting reps w/ 405, about 65.4 mph"
"do you mean w/ the chain in the granny gear up front and the big cog in back? - about 9 mph"
"on my MTB?"
"I just shaved my legs and went from 33 to 35 mph!"
"in cyclocross, w/ my bike on my shoulder, I went at least 10 mph once"

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Yup. Just be faster than the guy next to you. If you beat him by 10 bike lengths, you worked 9 bike lengths too hard.

One thing I want to know, is who is " yall's " ? I thought the plural of " y'all " was " all y'all " ? Maybe I am wrong, I am from the North. I believe a social anthropologist/linguist could answer that question a bit better.

62 km/h.

·
Ti me up
1,242 Posts
Spunout said:
Yup. Just be faster than the guy next to you. If you beat him by 10 bike lengths, you worked 9 bike lengths too hard.

One thing I want to know, is who is " yall's " ? I thought the plural of " y'all " was " all y'all " ? Maybe I am wrong, I am from the North. I believe a social anthropologist/linguist could answer that question a bit better.

62 km/h.
Duh. "Y'all's" isn't plural, it's possessive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
didnt think i was going to get a bunch of smarta$$ answers..i just wanted to compare my sprint to "yalls" sprint, yea i am from the south so some of you yankees might not understand the language....Top speed in a solo sprint.

·
Registered
173 Posts
magnolialover said:
I hit 100 mph the other day, and I was only in the small ring.
HAHAHA nono, i was serious. my mistake, i forgot this is an american board. i'm from canada! i meant to say that if i had good legs, i'd hit 60km/h NOT mph! :D:D:D

·
Registered
712 Posts
unless through the use of the modifier "all y'all's"

the fastest sprint is the one that gets it done at the line...

but i have hit 37.5 solo, and a while back i have seen the top locals hit 39 into a stiff headwind.
this i viewed from behind...

mph for the canucks.

633 said:
Duh. "Y'all's" isn't plural, it's possessive.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
"Top speed in a solo sprint."
Why in the world would you care about that? If you are by yourself, the only reason to sprint is in a sprint interval session. Perceived effort is the only thing important there.
Ps. There is always wind, and it is never perfectly flat.
(not a smarta$$ answer......everybody asks silly questions once in a while. There are people who ask them all the time. Don't be one of them.)

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
It is raining sideways with local flooding here. I am bored so I will play. I have sprinted in a group of five that topped out at around 32 mph and have been part of a bunch sprint that did 38 mph. If the bunch is rolling along at 28-30 mph before the sprint, then hitting 35+ when you jump out of the draft and go is possible. If you are in a small group where you have done more work and are starting at a slower speed, 30 mph may win the sprint. Both speeds probably take the same effort. If you can hit high thirties doing solo sprints as part of an interval workout, you da man.

·
Registered
342 Posts
This is a great question. Let's make sure that this thread doesn't die out. But since we don't want to compare apples to oranges, let's make sure that:

Atmospheric Pressure must be 760mm hg, +/- 5
Temperature 70-72F
Wind must be no more than .1 m/s, verifiable by 2 independent sources.
Road gradient must be established through officially recognized surveys
Standardized common road surface (any civil engineers out there?)
Maximum speed will be determined by a speed trap using the average of 3 different stop watches (since we all know how accurate cyclocomputers are)

While we are at it, let's evaluate how important cycling is to our lives on a scale of 1-45. Some professionals are known to hit 45 when conditions are good.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
On a ride today, one of my club-mates challenged me to a sprint for a town sign. He backed down after he found out I was using synthetic lube on my chain.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
rider22 said:
what is yall's top speed in a sprint on flat ground with no wind?
About 28 mph. Today. Came in 13th out of 19. You may want to try a little faster. - TF

·
Registered
274 Posts
magnolialover said:
I hit 100 mph the other day, and I was only in the small ring.

according to my powertap the max speed of today's ride was 83 mph... The other day it gave almost 200 mph as my max speed.

·
Registered
896 Posts
trouble clocking speed

my cateye only goes up to double digit speed, so I took the speedo/tach off my CBR750 and mounted it on my bars. I've clocked out at 89mph at 6500rpm in 2nd gear.

what I have learned in my vast cycling career(of 2 races), is that winning races is like that old joke about how fast you need to be to outrun a bear(just faster than your friend).

But if you really need to know how fast: do some intervals in a 52-12 at 110rpm. I would guess that you will be going fast enough to beat most people

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.