Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is awesome....really, really awesome

 

·
Dead Pool Comptroller
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Aw hell yeah! The last one, the Hornet with the trans-sonic shock wave cone, was effing a m a z i n g.
 

·
Eddy 53:11
Joined
·
3,147 Posts
Remember: You can only TIE the record for flying low.
 

·
Captain Obvious
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
NUTT said:
#3.... that guy is either really brave, really dumb or both.
this^^
 

·
Low rep power
Joined
·
6,264 Posts
Aindreas said:
Aw hell yeah! The last one, the Hornet with the trans-sonic shock wave cone, was effing a m a z i n g.
There have been a few times when I've been fishing from shore in Winthrop (the town immediately adjacent to, and on the direct flight path for some flights landing at Logan) when I've seen a twin waterspout kind of thing coming at me from big jets coming in low- looks like the water under that one.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,915 Posts
Nice!
 

·
my legs hurt
Joined
·
1,012 Posts
Aindreas said:
Aw hell yeah! The last one, the Hornet with the trans-sonic shock wave cone, was effing a m a z i n g.
Bet that bird at the beginning doesnt think it was that amazing.
 

·
Dead Pool Comptroller
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
saf-t said:
There have been a few times when I've been fishing from shore in Winthrop (the town immediately adjacent to, and on the direct flight path for some flights landing at Logan) when I've seen a twin waterspout kind of thing coming at me from big jets coming in low- looks like the water under that one.
Dang. I would love to see that someday.

Back in the day, my parents, brother, and I would vacation in Blackwater Falls, WV, and we would get buzzed fairly often by fighters from some nearby base. I think we mostly saw F/A-18. My favorites were the one that buzzed our cabin at 6am, approximately 3 feet above tree-top and at 600 knots (or so it felt like at the time), and rattled every window, dish, and tooth-filling in the place. I also saw a flight of 4 Hornets flying fast and in finger-four formation right at the top of the Blackwater gorge. This was all in a state park, so I have no idea how they were able to get away with doing this stuff.

View attachment 215362
 

·
Just Plain Bitter
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
The final shot of the Blue Angel FA/18 over water I believe is in Florida and is an amazing shot. If it is Florida, that is there home show every year and is usually one of the most spectacular as it closes their season.

Working for Lockheed in the late 80's in Palmdale California was a very eventful time. I worked at he SR-71/U2 depot. I had the opportunity to be at the end of the runway on several occasions when an SR-71 took off in full afterburner. It is a gut wrenching experience that will literally make you nauseous due the noise. The F22 Raptor is also and amazing aircraft to be around. I was there for the entire Flight test series on birds 1 and 2 including the belly flop by Tom Morganfeld in ship 2 at Edwards A.F.B..
 

·
Dead Pool Comptroller
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
rward325 said:
The final shot of the Blue Angel FA/18 over water I believe is in Florida and is an amazing shot. If it is Florida, that is there home show every year and is usually one of the most spectacular as it closes their season.

Working for Lockheed in the late 80's in Palmdale California was a very eventful time. I worked at he SR-71/U2 depot. I had the opportunity to be at the end of the runway on several occasions when an SR-71 took off in full afterburner. It is a gut wrenching experience that will literally make you nauseous due the noise. The F22 Raptor is also and amazing aircraft to be around. I was there for the entire Flight test series on birds 1 and 2 including the belly flop by Tom Morganfeld in ship 2 at Edwards A.F.B..
Sweet. What kind of work did you do, if I may ask? My dream job is guy-who-gets-to-wander-around-Skunk-Works-all-day-drinking-coffee-and-asking-questions.
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,626 Posts
rward325 said:
The final shot of the Blue Angel FA/18 over water I believe is in Florida and is an amazing shot.
Florida doesn't have mountains like that. That looks like San Francisco Bay to me. The Blue Angels always put on a good show there.

The Thunderbirds like to do a bit where the soloist disappears and while everyone is watching the formation guys, the solo guy comes screaming in low from behind the crowd. Always scares the hell of out everyone. Good stuff.

Got buzzed by a B-52 on a hilltop in South Dakota once. Guy knew what he was doing. It was amazing.
 

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Aindreas said:
Sweet. What kind of work did you do, if I may ask? My dream job is guy-who-gets-to-wander-around-Skunk-Works-all-day-drinking-coffee-and-asking-questions.

They wouldn't even have to pay me for that...
 

·
Alien Musician
Joined
·
4,537 Posts
I seem to recall being up past Duluth somewhere in a park when two F-16s from the air national guard base at duluth passed over at just over treetop height. I saw the planes and then a second later the sound came and scared me silly. It was so weird to see them BLAST by so fast and then the sound came in behind.
 

·
Just Plain Bitter
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
Aindreas said:
Sweet. What kind of work did you do, if I may ask? My dream job is guy-who-gets-to-wander-around-Skunk-Works-all-day-drinking-coffee-and-asking-questions.
I was an avionics software guy for Lockheed. I got laid off when Lockheed shifted my job to Georgia. I left Aerospace in 1991 and went in another direction with my career.
 

·
I luv riding in WA
Joined
·
1,148 Posts
Sweet video, thanks!

I had 2 flyovers this past summer while NNCing in WA, once on the road, once on dirt.

The MTB one was near Winthrop WA on a gray spring day, 3 other riders and myself were on a fairly remote trail that followed the ridgeline of a bowl. The jet, sorry for being clueless as to species, was circling the bowl and beyond at wicked speed. We counted 3 seconds from visual to boom and it was cool tracking his progress through the intermittent cloud cover.

The road encounter was much closer to home, just 10kms south of the border crossing at Northport WA on a bluebird September afternoon. Three USA fighter jets were hugging the border then spotted us and came over for a closer look at us NNCing baddies. All three did two flyovers, the first being the generic looky-loo to confirm we weren't each transporting 50kgs of BC bud in our jersey pockets. The second flyover was purely for show with all three doing a double rollover at roughly 1000' off the deck. We enjoyed the show and the ride.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top