Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I picked up a Topeak MTX seatpost mounted rack, and tried it out. I noticed that the inside of my thighs touch the seatpost clamp on the downstroke. Am wondering if this is a fatal flaw.

Does anyone else use this rack, and if so does the same thing happen? Will it be a point of contact that will cause irritation, or just something you get used to. I will probably only use it occasionally, to commute to work once in awhile, or to pick up some stuff. I wanted the Topeak because it is easily removable.

Comments/recommendations appreciated

thanks

· Registered
534 Posts
Dunno, I have a Forte (Performance) brand one and that wasn't a problem. Is the clamp that wide on yours? I hated the feeling of the seat post clamp rack though and ended up getting a real rack. Whenever I stood up to crank, it felt like I was fighting the bike.

· Registered
394 Posts
rugger said:
Hi
I picked up a Topeak MTX seatpost mounted rack, and tried it out. I noticed that the inside of my thighs touch the seatpost clamp on the downstroke. Am wondering if this is a fatal flaw.

Does anyone else use this rack, and if so does the same thing happen? Will it be a point of contact that will cause irritation, or just something you get used to.
I've had issues with common seat bags that use a velcro strap around the seatpost. Contact with my thighs ends up wearing a hole in my shorts. You will probably end up with the same.

· MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
992 Posts
rugger said:
Hi

Does anyone else use this rack, and if so does the same thing happen? Will it be a point of contact that will cause irritation, or just something you get used to. I will probably only use it occasionally, to commute to work once in awhile, or to pick up some stuff. I wanted the Topeak because it is easily removable.

Comments/recommendations appreciated

thanks
I tried one about a year ago for my road bike. It drove me nuts with the problem you describe, and I returned it in about three days. (Thank you REI) I replaced it with a Delta permanent rack. I have a nashbar seatpost rack that I use on my Mountain bike occasionally, it will mount low enough on the post and has a small enough clamp so as to not interfere with my thighs.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the feedback. I think I will go with a permanent rack. I was more concerned about the aesthetic effect of having the rack, the weight and aero effect should be negligible (when empty). But in practicality and comfort, it's the way to go.

thanks for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.