Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just recently picked up the Topeak Road Morph as I was in need of a decent frame pump. I currently have it installed on the top tube using the supplied bracket and zip ties. I'm concerned about the zip ties scratching up the frame over time, but I'm not willing to sacrifice one of my bottle cages. Does anyone know whether or not Topeak supplies some sort of mount that would allow you to piggy back the pump with your bottle cage? I found some older posts where people said they did, but I was curious if this is still an option. I couldn't find any such mount on their website but maybe I missed it. I've also heard about people using velcro straps instead of the zip ties, but I wasn't sure how secure that'd be. Thanks in advance.

- Bill

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
Use strips of old tube under the zip ties, and tighten the bejesus out of them. If loose, it will shift. It's this rubbing that causes paint wear.

·
ok
274 Posts
Velcro ties work very well for me. Give them a try, they are tight, secure and re-useable.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I like to use the velcro as well. Zip ties will work well if you use strips of inner tubes beneath them as Bruce W. said. Instead of the rubber you could also use friction tape.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I picked up some felt at HD with the intention of cutting it up to use between the zip ties and the frame. However, after giving it some more thought, I decided to remove the bottle cage on the seat tube and install it there. It looks much more professional and not so cluttered. My thinking is typically I never drink more than 1 bottle on most rides anyhow, and if it's a hot day or I plan on doing an exceptionally long ride, I could always toss the second bottle in my jersey and empty that first. Or stop a long the way at a convenience store for a refill. If there's ever a strong need for two mounted bottles down the road, I could easily re-mount the pump to the top tube using the zip ties and felt. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks right now. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts