Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Topo USA this afternoon in order to create some maps of local rides and am just not having any luck getting it to do what I want, all I want to do is add a specific turn by turn route by specifying the turns but I'm damned if I can get it to do that. I go through and map using the vias or stops but then when I finish the route it goes through and calculates something way off course.

So can someone give me some pointers on how best to create such routes? I was kind of hoping that there was going to be a tool that let you trace a route along the roads on the map.

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Okay so adding via's seems to work better but even then it goes off and calculates the fastest or shortest route instead of the one I'm trying to map. Reading the Delorme forums seems to indicate doing what I want may be a lost cause but hopefully someone out there has a few tricks they can share with me...

At this stage it would be easier to buy a GPS unit and then go out and ride the route I am trying to map.

EDIT: Using "Road - Shortest" seems to be doing what I want

· Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
I had the same problem (I think). Did you download the maps into the GPS unit as well as the route? I carefully plotted a route out, downloaded it into the GPS, and the GPS "Shanghaied" my route, calculating what it thought best to get to the "destination." If you don't download the maps, the GP unit uses the base map, and can't use the detail that is needed to support the granularity of your particular route. After I loaded the maps, the route stuff worked a lot better!

To download the maps, zoom out to 70-80 miles or so, then you'll see some squares. Highlight that, then do the download to the GPS. Note that the Garmin units, if you download a few maps, then download a few others, the new onces will overwrite the old ones. I have an eTrex Vista Cx and the card (64MB I think) has most of City Select V7 and the Topo USA for Colorado loaded into it. So, space may not be an issue.

Hope it helps.

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My problem was strictly within Topo USA itself but I seem to have it obeying my every wish and command now though. It is just dog slow on my old laptop though so I may have to borrow my girlfriend's as I'm a Mac man now.

I'm struggling with the decision of going with either a Garmin Edge 305 so I can track everything together in the one unit and plot it all or just getting Delorme's little blue logger device and couple that with their mobile software for my Treo as I already have a HRM and my computer has cadence already. I don't really need any of the GPS stuff but it is kind of fun to map out where you ride.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Here is how I do it (using Topo 5 for 2+ years).

Setup:
Make sure Road-Shortest is selected
Find the option to not allow freeways to be used in the calculations (important!)

Then:
1. Click Route tab
2. Click on new Route
3. Right click and "Add Start" at the appropriate location
4. Right click and "Add Via" at the appropriate locations (I think you can only have 100 for a single route)
5. Right click and "Add Stop" at the appropriate location

Other tips:
Don't use "insert via". That has always screwed my routes up.
If you add new roads, make sure you right click wherever that road crosses another, and select "Join Roads". If you don't, your new road may not be used correctly.

The route files are stored as .anr files (in an odd location by default). You can back these up and give them to people if they have topo. If you happen to be in central Ohio and want some routes, let me know. I have hundreds mapped out :D

I've used a bunch of different route planning programs, and there really isn't anything better out there (once you figure out the admittedly wacky interface). I really like how roads are displayed as the common name and the TWP or County number.

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is pretty much what I worked out to do what I wanted. :)

You can also right click on the route somewhere, manage route, then save/export as a GPS log file, then you can import that just about anywhere, assumedly into something like a Garmin Edge 305 even. Then you can also open the GPS log under the GPS tab of Topo USA and do a fly over of your route, you can even make the little symbole a bicycle somewhere in the options. Although that is painfully slow on my old laptop, hopefully I get a new work laptop soon and then can enjoy it in all it's glory!

· Registered
90 Posts
Another thing to do when the program includes a road that you don't want is to make it a "No-Way" street. To do so, right-mouse-click on the errant section of road, and select Advanced routing options, then select the No-Way checkbox, then recalculate the route.

· Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
Try this

Friend of mine found that you can get the route that you want. All you have to do is make the route from the finish to the start. He has called them about that but got no good answer. If you need more details, I will have to contact him for you for furthr explanation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.