Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am building a CX disc bike with toptube cable stops. Trying to figure where to put the cable placements. Here are my assumptions.

• The rear derailleur cable is easy as it should go around the right side of the HT and on the right guide.
  • I'm thinking the rear brake cable should go to the left cable stop, so the cable should be routed from the ergos around the front of the HT.
  • With regards to the front derailleur: Should it go around the front of the HT and on the right side of HT or straight to the left of the HT.

My question is this: Am I right in the placement of the front derailleur and rear brake cables? If these two should be swapped, should the cables be routed around the HT differently? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I'm going to be building a cross bike this coming week. My plan is (from L to R) rear brake, FD, RD. And I'll probably do the shifter housings the same route as my road bikes - ie NOT crossing around the head tube. All plans subject to alteration!

Not a big help I guess. We can compare builds later on.

Mine's a Cinelli Zydeco 2013 frame that I liked the look of.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I just found Cinelli photos of their setup on the frame I'm getting, and I will use it. Difference from my first post is that cables do go around the steerer, but there's no crossing which just looks wrong to me.

Pictures are here Cinelli Bicycles USA

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just found Cinelli photos of their setup on the frame I'm getting, and I will use it. Difference from my first post is that cables do go around the steerer, but there's no crossing which just looks wrong to me.

Pictures are here Cinelli Bicycles USA
It looks like the Cinelli site show from L to R, Rear Brake, Rear Derailleur, Front Derailleur w/ no crossover of cables and all housing going around, in front of the HT. hmmm, I don't see why I can't route mine that way. That eliminates the sharp bend and potential cable rub of the RD cable housing with my original plan. Thanks for showing me the light Julio and Pretender!!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Crossing cables under the downtube is a common trick for road bikes to route the housings correctly. It doesn't affect shifting performance or cable wear. There are some bikes where the cable stop placement or shape/size of downtube make it unfeasible.

If Zank does it, it's a good thing to do.

But I also think the way they show it on the Cinelli website is cool, too.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Btw, I'm finding that I am going through 2sets of cables and housing on this set up. Is that the norm for top tube routing CX disc frames? I'm also needing 11 ferrules, 4 of which are the 5mm brake cable ferrules. Argh! Where can I get extra ferrules, and any way of avoiding using two sets of Campy cables at $50 a pop???

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Mine was all done this morning. Cabling took a bit longer than usual as I redid a few bits. Had a ride. Cut the steerer. It's got 40mm Clement gravel tires. View attachment 279588 It's fab. :D

I'll be here in a few weeks

View attachment 279589

View attachment 279590

The subject of ferrules is always a fascinating one. I don't believe they are needed on brake housing, and have never used them. So far, no terrible accidents have occurred because of this lack.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine was all done this morning. Cabling took a bit longer than usual as I redid a few bits. Had a ride. Cut the steerer. It's got 40mm Clement gravel tires. It's fab. :D

I'll be here in a few weeks

The subject of ferrules is always a fascinating one. I don't believe they are needed on brake housing, and have never used them. So far, no terrible accidents have occurred because of this lack.
julio, where is "here"?? My guess is England or Scotland. Looks pretty wherever that is.

Regarding ferrules on brake housing, I tried putting the housing in the guides without ferrules and it doesn't sit in there very well. I recall in some of my road frames, I didn't use ferrules in the cable stops, but for CX top tube guides/stops, I think it definitely needs them.

Got pics of the completed bike? Post em up!!

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I'll do some pics soon.

The scenery was a test, and you scored a point for England.

Here's the answer View attachment 279636

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
if you aren't flipping your brakes (many guys go motorcycle style so they can feather the rear brake with the left hand coming into barriers) as you look down from the cockpit left to right
1) Rear brake cable goes around HT and is first on left
2) Rear Der Middle
3) Front Der right

both Der Cables on the right of the ST

·
Cyclist
531 Posts
On the front end of my bike, I've run the cable exactly like the Zank in the link. I didn't cross the bare cables though, I made up the cross on the back end of the bike with the rear sections of housing.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
OK here's some pictures of the Cinelli. My first cross cabling job. Took a little longer to get housing lengths right. Nothing revolutionary though.

Frameset is Cinelli Zydeco 2013 in 59cm size. Shifting is Campy 10-speed. Crank is Truvativ 50/34. Wheels Chorus/Open Pro 32 spoke. Brakes Avid shorty. Tires Clement 40mm.

Bike will be used both on and off-road on gravel trails.

View attachment 279691 View attachment 279692 View attachment 279697 View attachment 279693 View attachment 279694 View attachment 279695

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it! Thanks Julio, atpjunkie, Nater! Looks like I'm doing it right! Sweet Ibis and Cinelli too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.