Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use an Origin 8 quill adapter. I rode in a rumble strip yesterday and the stem adapter twisted in the steerer tube. I tightened it up, but with enough force while twisting the bars, I can make the handlebars move. What is the max torque I can apply to the wedge bolt? I don't want to overtorque it. It's currently at 150 inch pounds.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
A quill adapter wedge pull-up bolt should require the same amount of torque than that bolt in a traditional stem, which is 20 to 30 Newton-meter (170-260 inch-pounds.) 30 Nm is a lot of torque.

If the adapter has the Cinelli-style expander nut, 170 inch-pounds would be my limit. The Cinelli-style expander nut can spread the bottom edge of the adapter until that edge puts a bulge into a fork steerer. That design is rare now, so just in case.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Wim is correct. Also, you should be aware that the fact that it can move with enough force is not necessarily an indication of a problem. It was common with quill stems. With the torque you applied, it shouldn't twist while riding, even if it does when you really try (or when you crash).

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Wim is correct. Also, you should be aware that the fact that it can move with enough force is not necessarily an indication of a problem. It was common with quill stems. With the torque you applied, it shouldn't twist while riding, even if it does when you really try (or when you crash).
This. If the stem is so "tight" that it can't be forced to turn, then it is probably too tight. Better to "bend in the wind" than to be so rigid that things break.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.