Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
mad11:11one
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
bontrager race x lite blade to be exact... (or any type for that matter)
oddly enough i cant find a damn "official" thing about this subject on the world wide web??
--never had carbon bars before...
how much are you twisting up those bolts? i was thinking around 5-7, but i've read on a different post as high as 11??
(nm):yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

·
Hold your line!
177 Posts
I had trouble finding it too. they don't make it easy.

Go here (Trek's bike manual website) and search for "torque". Then find the link for "torque specifications". Sorry, I can't copy/paste the links because of their website (or my dumbassedness).

http://www.bike-manual.com/brands/trek/om/road/index.html

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
torque ratings are for the fasteners, the larger the fastener (bolt, in this case) the higher the torque value. generally, manufacturers have gone to 5mm bolts (they use a 4mm wrench) and more of them, usually 4, on 31.8mm stems because of the increase in surface area between the bar/stem. this allows lower torque, normally 5nm, and 5.5 for thomson stems. i would think that most carbon bars could handle a bit more than that, but it's not needed. many bars will have torque ratings on them, and they generally will match up to the stem type that would normally be used w/ the bar.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
MANTEIGA said:
bontrager race x lite blade to be exact... (or any type for that matter)
oddly enough i cant find a damn "official" thing about this subject on the world wide web??
--never had carbon bars before...
how much are you twisting up those bolts? i was thinking around 5-7, but i've read on a different post as high as 11??
(nm):yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
You probably have, but did you check for the manual on bontrager.com? My XXX seat post manual is there. Or email tech assistance or contact a local dealer. That said, I'd be willing to bet the guesses made here are pretty close. If it were me though, I'd find out for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts