Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used Litespeed Ghisallo frameset. It's a 2002 model with a 27.2 seat tube. I have been told that I need to be careful in applying the correct torque when installing the bottom bracket. Anyone know where I can find the torque specifications? I will be installing a DA bottom bracket. Thanks.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
I believe the torque spec is for the BB it self, not the frame. Use the spec for the Shimano Dura-Ace.

G

·
And I have to tell you, fifty Nm is HUGE! I am amazed that anyone can ever get the correct torque on a bb. Maybe I am too weak. I'll have to get my wife to give it a try!!

But seriously, there's not too many of us that really need to worry about overtorquing a bb. I simply get it as tight as I can with the tool. I use a torque wrench for most sensitive applications on a bike, but I don't worry about it with a bb.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
still puzzled

I tend to agree with you. I have put in dozens of bottom brackets and have never had a problem. However, I have been warned that the bottom bracket shell on this frameset is thinner than most and that I should worry about torque. I believe the previous poster is correct according to the fact sheet I have for the DA 7700 bottom bracket.

What I really can't figure out is how to determine torque for the cups on a bottom bracket. You have a fixed cup and then the adjustable cup side, and for both you have to use the bottom bracket tool that I can in no way see how to determine torque with. Even the Park Tools webpage doesn't show any use of torque wrench for adjustable bottom brackets. What good are the torque specifications if you have no way to achieve them?
Matt

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
The right tool

mmorra said:
What I really can't figure out is how to determine torque for the cups on a bottom bracket. You have a fixed cup and then the adjustable cup side, and for both you have to use the bottom bracket tool that I can in no way see how to determine torque with. Even the Park Tools webpage doesn't show any use of torque wrench for adjustable bottom brackets. What good are the torque specifications if you have no way to achieve them?
You have the wrong tool. I have splined Shimano BB tools that will accept a 3/8 drive, and so you can use a torque wrench. And of course Campy has not changed their BB tool since they came out with a cartridge BB, and you can easily put a socket (and therefore torque wrench) on that. I have seen the Shimano tool that only accepts an open end wrench, but that is a poor design, IMO.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no spline

The adjustable DA 7700 bottom brackets don't have a spline for tigthening the lock ring or the fixed cup, unless I am really dense. I have the tool you are referring to or at least one like it, but I don't think it will do me any good with the DA 7700. I have a pdf file of the Service Instructions, but it's too big to attach. I have installed two of these bottom brackets in other frames, so I am fairly familiar with the setup. I have never used a defined torque, but have tightened the lock ring and fixed cup to what I thought was appropriate. Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Sorry for that

I don't really keep detailed track of what Shimano is doing, and didn't realize (though I should have suspected) that the "standard" Shimiano BB tool won't fit their current best group. Makes sense to me :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts