Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Naso Unicornis
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

Does anyone know the torque specs for the steerer clamp bolts for the ITM 101 stem? The manual only shows the specs for the handlebar clamp bolts at 5nm. Are they the same for the fork steerer tube clamp bolts?

The headset on my bike keeps loosening. I do use Tacx compound (similar to the FSA compound) to improve friction between the stem and the steerer tube. In addition, I have the stem has sufficient clearance to the top of the steerer.

Thanks for any help.

CHL

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

If you're sure the stem is slipping, try a little more torque, like 7Nm. I've never found it necessary to use a torque wrench and I never tighten the stem bolts very tight.

Another common problem is failure to ever get the bearings tight enough in the first place. Integrated headsets require a substantial torque on the top cap bolt - perhaps as much as 5Nm to preload the bearings. Tighten the top cap until you get some obvious extra drag as the fork is turned, then back the bolt up 1/8-1/4 turn - just enough to eliminate the drag. If the bearings are never preloaded enough, it's easy to ride the bike for a few miles and when you hear a noise the first time you hit a good sized bump, the assumption is that the headset loosened up, when in fact it was never really tight.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.